1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Another what flashlight thread single AA or AAA

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Octagon, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Octagon

Octagon Loaded Pockets

I have been using a Fenix LD02 and find it close to perfect but with just a few quirks that keep it at good instead of perfect. The clip is a bit weak looking as it bends like it is close to coming off but so far hasn't. The exposed clicky tailcap switch is nice and easy to use but is unprotected so occasionally gets turned on accidentally and runs the battery down if I don't notice it. Lastly the default and as far as I can tell only set up starts with the medium level and switches to low then high. I would prefer a light with either 2 settings and starts on high or even only a high setting. Starting on high with the initial click is the key.

With the background and complaints listed I am looking for a single AA or single AAA with tailcap clicky or reverse clicky switch where the switch is protected by a metal surround. The light should have a clip to clip to a pocket but if all else is there have the ability to have a good strong clip mounted to it. 1,2 or 3 modes are fine but starting on highest mode on initial click is most important. Lastly I really like how small the LD02 is for both diameter and length. It could be a few mm larger dia and maybe 10-15mm longer in length.

Budget is around $45 or less but if it is perfect I will go a bit higher.

I like black anodized aluminum but stainless steel or Ti are also good and if a polymer could meet the size factor it would be OK as well.

The light is used as a primary EDC clipped to weak side (left) pocket for emergency and tactical in a pinch use.

I almost forgot LED but I assumed the form and size dictated LED. 80+ lumens or so for high setting.

I appreciate the informed masses opinions and suggestions.

2. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

Check out the Eagletac D25A clicky. It has more than three modes, but with the head tight it comes on high first. I have one with a Nichia 219 emitter and the tint is beautiful.

steeps likes this.
  3. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

LD12 is on my short list. I have a couple PD32s but want a conventional battery light. The side selector switch is great and it has a memory of last mode used so you can leave it on high. I think they're under $50 on Amazon.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The LD12 is a fantastic light EXCEPT for the clip.
    I lost mine 3 times on the first day each with 3 different lights!
    Just a wimpy clip on clip,just stupid for such a great light?

The ET D25 are also nice but again the clip seems solid but is also pretty bendy to me.

I like the Streamlight ProTac overall and they are pretty rugged in my experience and can be programmed pretty much just how you want it.
    I have not tried any 4/7 beyond the mini series which was not very exciting to me but many swear by them for sure.
    My goto in pocket are

LD12 and ZL SC52 and I can't see changing anytime soon unless something much better than the ZL comes along.

5. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

I carry an LD12 as my edc light. I usually clip it inside my pocket and it has been ok so far.
    120lm on high and has mode memory, so if you leave it on high it comes back on in high mode.
    There is some occasional strobe like flickering on the 2 lower modes that I am particularly sensitive to and usually goes away if you turn it on and off, if they fixed that I would consider it my perfect edc light.

I still like it though and have gifted half a dozen now!

6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

A Foursevens Quark pro or tactical (QPA/QTA) would meet most of the requirements (and can be further tailored with optional DPC clip/shrouded clicky) but it's a medium sized AA light, and bit more expensive (for US warranty/CS). If you want stick to near AAA size, the D25A is all I can think of - the light has nice tint options, but the driver and clip are not as good.

7. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Never had a problem with the LD12 clip love the light!

D25a would be perfect but it has THE worst clip on the market of aa's

T10T (or the alu version) would also be perfect (and has a nice clip)

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

There is just no way I can think a clip that just snaps into place will be as strong and reliable as one screwed into the light body?

As I said I do have both of these lights and the LD12 clip can be removed by merely pulling it off unlike the D25 which requires a tool.

That argument holds no water for me.

9. Jme.

Jme. Loaded Pockets

I have to completely agree. I got rid of my LD12 after losing the clip when it came off, replacing the clip and then having that come off again.

The Eagletac, on the other hand has a fantastic clip that is screwed in to the very end of the light tube making it disappear into your pocket.

Recessed clicky allows for tail stand and prevents inadvertently turning it on.

I keep the head screwed tight so it always comes on high.

D25a with Eneloop AA. Pretty much perfect to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"I'm just a witness"

Kev2488 and Dedrich like this.
  10. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I'm perplexed by this talk of the LD12's pocket clip. I own two LD12s and I guess I bought a later version than y'all's or maybe a different batch. I've never had an issue with the LD12's pocket clip. That includes the several months I used it as my duty flashlight on night shift on an ambulance. It was roughly yanked to unclip it from my pants pocket several times a night, and then roughly clipped back. Never had it fail. Never had it come off. Now my two LD12s are kept in my packs as back-ups and I use a PD35 for work. The PD35 has a similar set-up clip and again with rough use it's never come off, broken , or otherwise malfunctioned. *shrug*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

There are a number of quality AA and 2xAA lights with clickies on the market. There are very few good clickies in AAA and AAAx2 format.

If that mode of switching is necessary I wouldn't even look at AAA lights, personally. Not unless you find the Preon line to be more than satisfactory.

12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Had the ld12 for 5 years, use it as my daylight EMS duty light, the light has been abused in ways no light should never have to go through... Never had a problen with the clip.

Bend the d25a clip in the first week i had, rendering the clip momentary useless. Bendt it back.. Next week, same problem again, 4 mm gap between the light and clip, no retention what so ever. Useless

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Never occurred to you to take the clip off to bend it back thus closing the gap and having it retain again?

The clip at least is still there and can be used once reformed slightly,not perfect but functional and there o be bent again.

Like I said I have lost 3 of them on the LD12 and had to pocket carry after that,talk about a useless clip.

I certainly can not explain how I have lost them and you have not but you just can not make the argument that the screwed on clip,attached so it can not be lost on its own is less useful than a slide on clip that can be lost?

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just realized you are not reading my posts, this is pointless. Make the argument of what? I have my experience from long use.. You have yours, this is not an argument.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You are right about this being each of our experiences but clearly I am reading your posts.

Seems like common sense to me that any clip needing tools to be removed is not as prone to being lost as a clip that is easily removed without tools,that is my observation.

Is that better?

I obviously love the LD12 as I just keep buying them when they are lost due to the poor clip design.

We clearly have said what we need to and I am done repeating myself too.

Thanks though.

16. Octagon

Octagon Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for the suggestions. I added the Eagletac D25A Clicky to my Christmas list as it is only slightly larger than the Fenix LD-02 and the clip is at least more securely attached as well as having a surround around the tailcap switch. I have converted all my other flashlights to AA so this makes even more sense for me.

Has anyone tried to make a clip for the Fenix that either screws on like the Eagletac and others or fits between the head and the body of the light then parallels the body before bending over to form a clip? This would seem like an easy fix to a more secure and stronger clip.

Clips are critical for me and keeping equipment fast and easily accessible as well as secure enough to reduce losing something. I have had a couple Spyderco plastic integrated clips break on their early knives and some other clips with too big of a tab that catches on things easily. Some are too easily removed from what they are clipped to and others too hard to easily clip onto something one handed. I have several good designs that work well and know what I like and can use well. Now I just need to figure out how to get the clips for items with poor clips or no clips and to find a metal treatment that holds the finish and is the right finish color.

17. barrett50

barrett50 Loaded Pockets

Thrunite Ti3 is my AAA keychain light of choice and I really like it. 4 modes: 0.04Lm, 12Lm, 120Lm and strobe. Also comes with a reversible pocket clip and some keychain hanging accessories. Works great and it's only $20!

18. Octagon

Octagon Loaded Pockets

I got an Eagetac D25 A clicky for Christmas (actually a few days earlier) I like the light a lot. I have carried the same way as my Fenix LD02 and have not had an accidental activation. The size is good for a single AA compared to others and to the LD02 single AAA. It is larger dia and longer but still fits well and is comfortable in the support side front pocket using the clip for head down EDC. The clip is also much stronger and easier to slide back onto the pocket after use then the LD02. It is quite a bit brighter with more throw and spread but that is expected with AA vs AAA. So far so good with no compromises or problems. I will update with more use and time.