1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Another victory for gun owners nationwide...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by StealthChaser13, Jun 28, 2010.

1. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

2. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Regardless how you feel about the NRA, the right to defend oneself is about as basic a human right as exists. 'Bout :censored: time SCOTUS recognized our right to protect ourselves.

Remember kids, when seconds count, the police are just minutes away! ;)

3. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I've been listening to NPR all day about this. Very exciting news!

4. Skorpius

Skorpius Empty Pockets

Living here in Chicago, I am glad to see this. It is shocking however that 4 of the Justices do not understand the Constitution, this passing by 5-4. Unfortunately, Daley may now throw up a multitude of requirements as an impedance to gun owners (ballistics testing, insurance requirements, etc...) just like DC did and will require more legal wrangling. We already need to have FOID cards. That, along with a firearms handling course should be all that you need.

Now I wish that IL and WI would join nearly the rest of the country in regards to CCW. I need Jan Brewer to run for Governor here.

5. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I'm all about firearms but I need to ask this question DB: What is NPR?

6. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

This is great news indeed! NPR is national public radio, really the only place to get decent news in my opinion. Very interesting programming in general.

7. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Maryland isn't any better.

8. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

now you all just need to catch up to us vermonters... sorta, i support CCW permits... just to give the cops a heads up.

9. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

Good to hear. I am glad to be in Utah though, even if it is chalk full of LDS. We have some pretty liberal gun laws.

10. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

Very happy to hear this.

11. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

12. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I'll see your Maryland, and raise you a New Jersey. :rant: :thumbsdown: :crazy2:

13. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

The second amendment isnt clear language and that is why it has never been black and white:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When you define a well regulated militia, how it interacts for the security of a free state and how all of that links with the other half of the sentence then you too can be a constitutional lawyer.

Also the state distributed version which is what they ratified is less clear:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

This seperates both points by a single comma so the "well regulated militia" and "security of a free state" is a joined part and the general indication is that the right of the people to keep and bear arms is directly related to them being in a "well regulated militia".

A militia is of course a group that operates like an army but is not professional soldiers. So the general indication of this is that it grants the power of people to own and bear arms in order to protect the state after they have joined the Army Reserve or equivalent part time branch of the armed forces.

Certainly you cannot consider all citizens to be part of a well organised militia which is exactly the sticking point those 4 justices would have had when it came to this decision.

14. CenterMass

CenterMass Loaded Pockets

Actually, it was answered in District of Columbia vs. Heller. The "militia" aspect was addressed in the decision, in that:

* that the operative clause of the Second Amendment—"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"—is controlling and refers to a pre-existing right of individuals to possess and carry personal weapons for self-defense and intrinsically for defense against tyranny, based on the bare meaning of the words, the usage of "the people" elsewhere in the Constitution, and historical materials on the clause's original public meaning;

* that the prefatory clause, which announces a purpose of a "well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State", comports with, but does not detract from, the meaning of the operative clause and refers to a well-trained citizen militia, which "comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense", as being necessary to the security of a free polity;

* that historical materials support this interpretation, including "analogous arms-bearing rights in state constitutions" at the time, the drafting history of the Second Amendment, and interpretation of the Second Amendment "by scholars, courts, and legislators" through the late nineteenth century;

Thats lifted from some gun info site somewhere, which directly quotes the decision. Bottom line, the reference of a militia is a wholly and completely different issue than the right to keep and bear arms. This is an argument used by anti-gun people for ages is that the Second Amendment only refers to a "well-regulated militia" and how people are armed to that effect. What was ground breaking about Heller is that, once and for all, the SCOTUS said, no, the Second Amendment DOES guarantee personal ownership of firearms.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Ha! I win!

I'm holding New York City and the recently-declared crack-down by the D.A. on shops that sell one-hand opening folding knives declared to be illegal gravity knives.

Yeah! I won! I . . . I won?? . . . :censored: it. :mad:

16. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I live upstate and I'm exempt from most of the insane firearm laws, but I still feel for you. My gf has had her pistol permit for several yrs and can't have a CCW due to our county/judge she has. Thank god the county I just bought a house in still issues CCW so she can finally get one. Hopefully something will eventually happen and Bloombutt will have to treat you downstaters just like the rest of us and we won't have to make you become part of NJ so our taxes go down. J/K

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I actually understood what you meant. And I appreciate it.

18. StealthChaser13

I too live in upstate (western) New York, so I'm not having the issues you in NYC are...my only problem is im not 21 yet, so I can't get a pistol permit yet

19. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Congrats, you win by losing more. ;)

What makes you think NJ wants NYC? :nana:

20. StealthChaser13

in regards to their laws, I dont think anyone wants NYC