1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Another new guy from New England

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wrath0r, Dec 10, 2013.

1. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Hi everyone. I'm a life-long New Englander, having lived in Connecticut, Vermont, and now the Boston metro area.

When I was a child I was a member of the Cub Scouts. That was how I learned the necessity of being prepared and self-sufficient, but not the way you'd think. One day after school I boarded the bus to go to a Scout meeting and was told it had been cancelled. Nobody had told my family, and at that age I did not have any way to reach my parents nor did I have house keys. Talk about being caught unprepared! The story ends happily as the bus driver took care of me, got me home safely, the whole nine, but that was the last day I was not self-sufficient. The next day I became a latch-key kid. I learned to prepare food (read: potato chips) for myself and started taking care of myself. I guess that's stuck with me; I'm the only one I know with a storm kit.

I don't know where I got the idea that a man should always have a knife, but I really feel that way. I've carried everything from boot knives to keychain multitools. Today I've done my best to fight off the Walter Mitty delusions. I don't need anything tactical or heavy. Weight is important and, for reasons I won't get into, so is a multitool. My current EDC fluctuates between a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian with an Adamas clip (deep carry) and a Spyderco Delica 4 with a titanium split-tail deep carry clip. I've sanded the ridges off the butt of the mini-grip so they don't scrape my hand when I go for my wallet. I also carry a Leatherman Style PS, and I don't love it. Something about not having a sturdy-ish screw driver bugs me. On my desk right now is a Leatherman Squirt PS4 that I plan to turn into a frankentool. I'm giving myself a little bit more time to find one with torx screws for sale, and if I can't I'll have to try my hand with a dremel tool to get through the rivets. I plan to remove the knife and wood file and replace them with the nail file and tweezers from a Micra.

Anyhow, I think I've rambled enough to show I'm one of the tribe so I'll end this by saying I'm excited to be a part of this community and look forward to new ideas and projects.

SurvivePenna and Dafabricata like this.
  2. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome from Illinois! It's great to have you with us.

3. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

welcome from the western part of the Commonwealth.

4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome from Italy !

5. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome to EDC Forums! from Sweden.

Sent from Sweden by boat...

6. Nightrain2221

Nightrain2221 Loaded Pockets

Welcome from AZ!!

7. wsafetymode

wsafetymode Loaded Pockets

Hello from Spain!!!

8. larry h

larry h Loaded Pockets

Hello and Welcome to EDCF, enjoy!

9. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

:wavespin: Hello and welcome to EDCF !!!! :) Glad that you found us and decided to join...