1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

another...looking for a watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by gcbailey, Oct 31, 2012.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

In need of a new work watch, my trusty old marathon is giving up the ghost (quits running anytime it's not laying flat)... but that's another question.

I would like...
    • a classic looking field watch, with a somewhat large dial (I'm 6'3") so I don't want something tiny looking on my arm, but not huge either.
    • Something definitely shockproof and water proof/resistant.
    • I prefer a NATO style band, but that could always be an ad-on.
    • It is going to be a "work" watch so something under $200 preferably.
    But I am open to something totally different.

There are just sooooo many watches out there, I'm up to around page 45 on the "What you wearing" thread and have a few ideas.

2. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

Seiko Monster.

ElectricSun likes this.
  3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Seiko SNGZ series (SNZG07, 09, 11, 15) I've got the 11, which is the blue face.

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-5-mens-watch-snzg11.html

Brushed case, 7s36 automatic (same as the monster or the SKX series) 42mm, 22mm lugs. 100 meter water resistant. Comes on a NATOish nylon strap, but will look great on any NATO/ZULU you like. The pics below is mine on a NATO (middle watch). About $100-$140 depending on how hard you shop.

[​IMG]

4. ElectricSun

ElectricSun Banned

This for the win!

5. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I love the monster, but its hardly a "classic looking field watch"

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am quite a fan of Citizen watches (going on the one currently on my wrist, plus another couple nearby).

The BM6400 comes to mind first as being a great match on paper for what you want - it is a great classic looking field watch with a 42mm case which should fit the looks you want, 200m water resistance and the eco-drive movement - so a tough and reliable watch that also comes without any battery worries (the eco-drives is a solar powered quartz movement, so shock resistant, accurate and won't run out of battery at an awkward moment worn normally). It ships on a black canvas style band that isn't too far from the NATO style you are after, though obviously if you want to switch it to a once piece band it is a very easy swap to do.

There are also a few alternatives in similar styles available - the BV1085 uses a similar case in black with a smaller second subdial or the CA-0255 if you would like a chronograph model.

I am certainly very happy with my Citizens so far - my BN0000 (a dive model, so perhaps not he lok you are after) has spent the majority of the last three years on my wrist so far and has been absolutely superb, and I am loving the look of the BV1085 I got relatively recently.

7. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

I have a CItizen Nighthawk and absolutely love it, however it wasn't as sturdy as I hoped and it has been repaired and delegated to semi-formal duty.

I'm really liking the looks of the Seiko SNZG and the Citizen.... I guess ultimately it is going to come down to "toughness". I'm a network engineer by trade and constantly have my hands in tight places, banging against walls, blocks, even climbing the occasional tower mounting antennas... I have always loved the low key style of a field watch, but they aren't necessarily the best thing going when it comes to beating and banging your arms around.

8. wave180

wave180 Loaded Pockets

Ecozilla?

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend the Citizen BM 6400 or the 8180.

ran23 likes this.
  10. AnthonySC
    • In Omnia Paratus

AnthonySC Loaded Pockets

Maratac Pilots Watch

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

11. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

Here are the current daily rotations for the most part, just to give you an idea of what I currently have. I've actually lost a few watches from the bands coming undone, that's why I've switched to the NATO style. L->R ... My Marathon that I deeply love, however something it up with it and it only runs while lying flat and upright. Next is a Casio Tough Solar amw-s320, I really don't like this watch, but my local Sam's Club had it marked down to $30... My Nighthawk, my favorite, but not enough for my daily work. The next three are just some that I lucked up on epay and got each one dirt cheap.

[​IMG]

12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

have you looked at Traser? They seem to have the exact style of watch you want, Swiss made military type quartz. The P5900 is sub $200 and has trit, but no dive bezel.

13. Yarak

Yarak Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Bertucci's line of watches. I've got the digital style, but most of their's are analog.

14. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I would recommend a Chase Durer Pilot Commander they are great watches and they look great.

15. GEAUXBIG

GEAUXBIG Loaded Pockets

I also recommend a Seiko Monster. It is a whole lotta watch for the money! Best automatic in its price range. I would say it is of a higher quality and better construction than many watches costing twice its price. Incredible lume, nice weight, keeps accurate time, reliable, available with a comfortable stainless steel bracelet or a rubber dive strap, and looks and wears great on a Zulu band also. I have had mine for over 4 years and never had one problem! Buy one and give it a chance and if you don't like it you will be able to sale it quickly and won't lose much, although I believe you'll keep it and be quite happy:) !!

16. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

I still haven't purchased anything yet.... been out of town working for the past week. When I thought I had it narrowed down.... well.....