1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Another "help me buy a watch" thread

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Buckethead1903, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Buckethead1903

Buckethead1903 Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone,

I am suddenly looking for a new EDC watch. Currently on my wrist is a Suunto X-Lander which, despite my high hopes, has turned out to be a BIG disappointment. It was replaced once under warranty because the display faded and now the new one has done the same thing after only 4 months. I am out of the 2 year warranty window so a free replacement is off the table.

Prior to the Suunto I wore a Casio for 15 years.

I am a 49 year old firefighter/paramedic which means I am very tough on watches and I need one that I can read at "oh dark-thirty" in the back of a moving truck. So, I'm looking for a fairly large face that is either back-lit or has Tritium markers on it. I'd like to keep it in the "around $200" range.

So, what are my options??

2. Lemmez

Lemmez Loaded Pockets

Night shot:[​IMG]

3. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

as i was reading your thread the luminox watches came to my mind..then the forst reply to your post is for luminox

i dont own, but my brother does and it is amazing in every way..lumes like crazy.. too...

4. Buckethead1903

Buckethead1903 Loaded Pockets

When I bought the Suunto I had looked long and hard at the Luminox but ultimately decided against them because of the size.....they were just to small. The Blackout looks like it's got a large face so, I will definitely give it a "hands on" look.

5. cameraman

cameraman Loaded Pockets

I'm a Luminox aficionado, so I say check out Luminox. Spend the money and get the steel case. I'm hard on watches and mine has lasted almost 10 years (admittedly with a trip back to the factory for a broken crystal, and a general overhaul for good measure).

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry, but did I miss something? I thought you wanted a watch that's easy to read. Even if that Luminox model has a large face . . . It's black on black with a touch of black. Thankfully, there are other larger Luminox models that don't look so ridiculous and are easier to read.

7. Lemmez

Lemmez Loaded Pockets

It's very easy to read during the day (pictures do not do justice), if you like the look than just ignore this guys comment. He obviously doesn't own this watch or hasn't seen it in person. Do some more reading online about it. At first I was concerned about it being all blacked out but after reading reviews I went to the dealer, checked it out and bought it on the spot. Good luck!!

8. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

When I hear things like "I'm very tough on watches", "easy to read", "large face" and "back-lit"... I think G-Shock. You seem to have had good luck with your previous Casio, and I have had the same with my previous G-Shocks. Why not get another? They have analog or digital, many face shapes and functions you could find appropriate for your line of work. Some fun colours as well as black on black, with more black - if desired! ;)

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

If your pics don't portray the watch properly, or they don't do the watch any justice; perhaps learn to take better pics rather than clearly get upset with me for commenting on the watch portrayed in your crappy pics. Just a thought. Have a nice day. :)