1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Another flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gypscoprotheres, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Gypscoprotheres

Gypscoprotheres Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a flashlight to carry in my Vanquest EDCM Husky. In my other thread I was also looking for that and I ended up with the NiteCore Tube, which is a very nice little flashlight in my opinion and now used as a key chain light.

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
    I've decided to carry the Tube on my keyring and now I'm looking for a larger and more sturdy one to carry in my organizer. I would like to use it on travels, on camping trips, in the forest, around the house. I would really like to have an all-round flashlight.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    [V] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
    [V] I am in The Netherlands.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:
    [V] $1-15
    [V] $15-30

4) Format:
    PART A
    [V] I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:

[V] 4-6 inches (+/-).

PART C

Width:
    [V] I prefer a long narrow light.
    [V] I prefer a short wide light.
    Is there something in between?

PART D
    Weight:
    Lights of a similar size can be very different in weight and may turn the perfect sized light into a paper weight. In general a lights of the same size will stack up like this; plastic and aluminum will be your lighter choices brass, stainless steel, bronze will be heavier. I won't put numbers here because everyone has a different weight sensitivity. For the purposes of EDC specifically I'll limit the choices here to the more easily carried sizes pick 2 sizes to represent a range of weight.
    [V] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag
    [V] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [V] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
    [V] I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)
    Rechargeable batteries would also be OK.

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [V] I want to read a map, find a light switch/keyhole, or get around the house at w/o disturbing anyone. (5-10 lumens)
    [V] I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
    [V] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)--------------X-------|----------------------Flood/close-up
    Not sure about what's the best for my needs.

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket. [​IMG]
    [V] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
    [V] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [V] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

11) Switch Type:
    [V] I don't care.

12) Switch Location:
    [V] I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [V] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
    [V] I want a metal-bodied light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
    [V] Pocket clip

2. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

L3 Illumination L11C :) Metal-bodied, clicky, pocket clip, multiple modes (3-30-140/160 version or 0.09-3-30-140/160 version). All for $33-34.

No Agenda likes this.
  3. Gypscoprotheres

Seems like a nice flashlight. Came out this year I see. Is it strong?

My budget isn't exactly up to $ 30, but more like up to $ 40. I've checked out the Fenix LD09, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to choosing flashlights, so I have no idea if this would be a good choice, considering my needs.

4. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I have the L10C, which was replaced with the L11C. It is my edc, and I really like it. I have the 3 mode version. It always comes on in low, then mid, then high which is my preference. AA battery is easy to come by if you need extras while you are out. I use lithium primaries with it, but I'm guessing eneloops would be great.

Fenix are known for reliability, and a lot of people really like them. I don't have the LD09 myself, so I can't comment much on it.

A few more dollars (~36ish) you can get a JetBeam BA10 or BC10. The BA10 is a 1xAA that does 12 or 160 lumens. Loose front bezel for low, tight front bezel for high, and a tail clicky for on/off. You can use momentary on the click if you like. The BC10 is similar, but with CR123A. I forget the numbers, but it's something like 30 lumen low and 240? high. These would be thicker than the L11C, which is a pretty slim light.

A lot of times, slim lights are more floody, and thick lights are more throwy (bigger, deeper reflectors).

Olight would be another good one to look in to. I used to EDC the olight i3s (maratac AAA is the predecessor) before I found out the L10C fits in my skinth tube. It's tiny and still has a decent output, though you'll do more output longer with a AA.

GatorMedic, No Agenda and Water-Rat like this.
  5. Gypscoprotheres

Thank you for the advises. I'll look into these flashlights for sure. :)

Tegan's Dad likes this.
  6. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Both the L3 Illumination L11C and Fenix LD09 are great choices. I carry the L11C as my EDC and before that I had the earlier model L10C that I EDCed. I also have the Fenix LD12 (predecessor to the LD09), and it's a good light too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gypscoprotheres and No Agenda like this.
  7. Gypscoprotheres

I've changed my mind about the price: A maximum of € 100 now.

I also would like it to be able to tail stand and use regular AA batteries (easy to find.

8. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Not sure what the conversion rate is but the Zebralight SC52 probably falls in the range ($64 US).The SC52 runs on any AA (Alkaline,NiMH,Lithium or Li-ion14500).I don't have the SC52 but I do have the higher output Zebralight SC5w and have been impressed with it so far.The SC5 is worth a look but you are pretty much married to NiMH rechargables(I use Eneloops),Energizer lithiums will work though.Alkaline AAs always leak for me so I avoid using them,something to consider if your spending money on a decent light.

Gypscoprotheres likes this.
  9. Gypscoprotheres

Nice! First I thought that I wouldn't find this Zebralight here in the Netherlands, but I've found it.

There are some varieties of the SC52 (SC52w L2, SC52F L2, SC52Fw L2 and the SC52d High CRI Daylight AA)

What's the difference between the SC52-s? I've seen some different lets, but I have no idea of which meet my needs the best.

10. Gypscoprotheres

I should do some more research before asking stuff! :confused:
    F = Flooded
    W = White (cool or neutral)
    D = Daylight

I've decided to go for the flooded one. I'm only having doubts between cool white and neutral white (daylight confuses me a little bit. Seems to me that should be neutral or warm white. No idea!).

When do you use cold white and when neutral white? I can imagine that you'll be able to see colors much better with neutral light.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would suggest that you not get the flood version for your first go at the Zebra.
    These are really fairly floody in normal form and I think you might end up with a lot less light than you expect if you start off with the diffused flood option here.
    You can always make the standard light more floody with a little scotch tape later but you will not be able to un-flood the floody one if yo get the built in diffusion.

I would also go for the 52w version as it is Neutral and not cool as listed above?
    The plain SC52 is cool
    I have both and really prefer the W as it just makes things look natural especially outside while camping.
    I find the D daylight a little warm for my tastes but you might prefer that? All I know is that the neutral is right in the middle and a great tint for me.
    I work with wiring all day and the N lets me see the real colors coded on the wire unlike any Cool that I have used.

ZMZ67, Gypscoprotheres and kikissabiz like this.
  12. Gypscoprotheres

Thanks. I'll go for the SC52w!