1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Angle headlamps as EDC lights

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by davidt1, Oct 11, 2014.

1. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

I have been looking at flashlight pictures here lately. Since there are some who EDC angle lights like I do, I thought I would share some thoughts about my own EDC angle light.

These are all the lights I have: Zebralight H52w, H51w, Quark high CRI Mini AA, L3 L10, and Maratac AAA.
    [​IMG]

Of those lights, I EDC the Zebralight H52w and the Maratac AAA. I made a few mods to the H52w to make it a useful pocket-sized EDC light such as using a lanyard headband and adding magnets to the swiveling clip.
    [​IMG]

Added these magnets and shrink tubing to the clip.
    [​IMG]

Now this pocket friendly EDC light can be used as a neck light, headlamp, flashlight, utility light, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diamondback1

Diamondback1 Empty Pockets

Pleased to have found this thread as I have been thinking about buying the newly revised Fenix MC11; lately I've been considering how useful it would be to own an angle-head.

[​IMG]

I can see from your photos that they are VERY useful. What do you think of the Fenix ?

Last edited by Diamondback1, Oct 11, 2014
  3. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

I don't have the MC11, so I am afraid I have no personal experience with it.

Last edited by davidt1, Oct 12, 2014
  4. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of zebralights that I EDC.
    I find them very useful, the ability to go between headlamp and hand lamp, or even clipped in a shirt pocket is very convenient.

HimalayanHitman and davidt1 like this.
  5. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

I originally bought it for use as a headlamp. Then it became obvious that the small, cylindrical shape makes it as easy to EDC as a small single AA light. But it's the swiveling clip (with magnets) that completes the light. I would go as far as saying that I probably wouldn't buy this type of light if it wasn't for the swiveling clip.

Using my H52w as desk lamp for eating dinner. The regular desk lamp would have lighted up the whole room. The H52w (on low medium setting) just lighted up a small personal area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by davidt1, Oct 12, 2014
    Mumbojumboo likes this.
  6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love angle lights and davidt1 is the cause. I've always loved your posts and out of the box thinking.

The shrink tube/magnet idea is awesome. I'm going to try that one for sure.

[​IMG][/url]mumbo lanyard rig2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

[​IMG][/url]mumbo lanyard rig by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

[​IMG][/url]mumb MBC3 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

[​IMG][/url]mumbo MBC by mumbojumboo, on Flickr
    [​IMG][/url]mumbo H502r_H502d by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

This is pretty much (real) everyday carry for me.

[​IMG][/url]mumbo dumpo 9_5_14 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Thanks davidt1....you have inspired again!!

HimalayanHitman and davidt1 like this.
  7. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love my Zebralight and Mumbojumboo is one of the causes for that! The angled head is perfect for EDC stuff.

davidt1 likes this.
  8. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

im especially keen on the magnets heat- shrinked to the clip

davidt1 likes this.
  9. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

reading scary stories to the kids...nothing really . I always wanted a red but they were discontinued. When they came with the H502r.... I had to run out and get one. I am sure there are people out there that will tell us that red saves night vision. moonlight option.... is much better than a red on 100 lumens.

It's fun.. the boys love it and fight over it all the time but I wouldn't buy anymore.

Blerv and trickcunningham like this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too but I find it as important How I EDC an angled light as why I do.

I use a small RipOffs brand belt clip pouch just like for my iPhone but a little smaller.
    The bigger one in the last pic is my phone case.

This way I don't have to think about carrying it or where I just clip it onto my Bat Belt and ride off into the work![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Mumbojumboo and davidt1 like this.
  12. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

I am glad you found a way to carry your ZL light and the factory headband and light holder.

I am trying to McGyver my lights while, at the same time, trying to reduce clutter as much as possible.

The one thing about the factory headband is that some people find it a bit bouncy when they run. For better stability, Zebralight now includes a headband with a top strap for their bigger lights the H600s. Some people, myself included, use a more rigid strap. Mine is a Velcro type. Even though I rarely have to use my velcro strap, I carry it anyway since it has secondary uses like holding things together.

I don't actually EDC my H52w like this anymore. Now it's a neck light all the time. Whether I use the shoelace headband or the Velcro headband, that swiveling clip has to be there. The Velcro light holder allows me to keep the clip on the light and thus making it quick and easy to go from headlamp to handheld to utility light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  13. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

Can't wait to get my ZL.