1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Angle-Head Light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Stranger, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Everybody remembers the old angle-head lights from Vietnam, right? I always wanted one, but never bought one. A few years ago, a company made one that I liked. I think it was the Paragon light. It was an LED version of the Vietnam light. Surefire sued them over a patent issue, and the company is dead. I heard the light that I liked was no good anyway. Very little over the years has come on the market that compares with the old Nam light.

The Zebra Light looks like a worthy offering, but I wouldn't use it as a headlamp. I'm wondering if it is a good choice for wearing on my chest when walking at night, and not wanting to have a light in my hand.

Alternatively, I might go with the Ultrafire swivel belt holster that holds standard one or two-cell lights. I'm a little surprised at the lack of attention given to angle-head lights over the years, considering the great leaps in progress and technology we've seen since 1990. The Nam angel-head was a great idea. It's only drawback was the incan bulb.

I'm totally sold on the Surefire Minimus, but to me, that's not an EDC light. That's a once-in-a-while-weekend-excursion light. The Ultrafire holster makes an EDC light a hands-free light, just like the angle-head, without having to draw attention to yourself by putting it on your head. To look at the Ultrafire on a website, I'm wondering if it holds a light securely.

2. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I guess the Zebra Light clip is upside-down. I like the old way better. Too bad the Paragon Light never worked out.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Member Mumbojumboo wears a ZebraLight on a neck knife lanyard a lot of times. I tried to find a pic and not bother him with a tag but I can't :D

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Streamlight offers several angled head lights ranging from the Polytac 90 which I have and really like to the bigger models designed for Emergency Responders ranging from smaller fixed head models to bigger variable angle models. Some take rechargeable batteries too.

Fury also makes lights like the Streamlights.

Most of the really small lights like this might be tricky to mount to a shirt as they either have pocket clips or headbands as standard attachment but I am sure you could rig something to work too.

Just to name a few.

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can get a clip from Zebralight. They sent me a couple...I don't remember if I had to pay for them or not.

Also, most models can be inverted I believe. Mumbo knows better than I. I've only ever had the one:giggle:

6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I've seen a few pics that look like the Zebra clip is reversible, but I'm not sure if that's the case. I know MumboJumboo has a couple zebralights and has posted pics of one upside down on a neck lanyard. Look through the threads on what lights you carry and ask someone that has one. There's a few angle lights out there, they're just not very popular. County Comm has one, Fenix has a couple, Streamlight has one standard one, and a couple with rotating heads(sidewinder), Rofis makes a series of lights with rotating heads that can be used as a normal light or as an angle light. I've been wanting an angle light for a while, but just haven't talked myself into it yet. I've found that little 1xAAA lights clipped to a hat brim, watch band, coat sleeve, coat collar etc. take care of my hands free lighting needs pretty decently.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

In addition to the Zebras.....

Sunwayman L10A/L10R

Rofis JR30 Transformer

Fenix MC11

Streamlight SideWinder

Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II

ATB,
    Sam

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

If you really want a Fulton anglehead Elektro Lumens has them with a XML LED. They claim 240 Lumens and 24 hour runtime on 2 D cells all for $70.00 + shipping.

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Those FoxFury and Pelican lights are huge! Certainly not for the pocket.

I've known about the Streamlight military light for a while. I was just never impressed with it, I guess just because it tries to do so much, and is kind of wide, and a weird shape. I've never heard of the others, but a couple of those interest me. Thanks.

11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The Sidewinder is meant to be attaced to the MOLLE on a soldier's chest rig, so width is less of an issue.

The Sidewinder Compact is meant to be mounted on the side of a helment.

While they don't use the latest LEDs they are designed to take abuse and the multi-functions address the various tasks they might be called on in the field without resorting to multiple flashlights.

Just an indication that something for the combat field might not be the best fit for EDC.

ATB,
    Sam

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Polytac 90 is not a huge light in any way but is a little bigger than the Zebras.It also offers decent battery life in two modes and has 3 different clip options all built-in.

The ZL clip can not reverse really as it has to work between the lights body and whatever it is clipped to?
    The ZL headlamps that I have do not have clips at all,they just slide into the headband and swivel in it.

OK I had to go back and look on the ZL site and they do come with a snap on clip but it looks like the clip can only be used in one direction too.
    I guess I have never even seen my clips as I use them as Headlamps only?

And I can't seem to find my Polytac 90 or I would snap a pic comparing the two.
    Go Figure!

Last edited by EZDog, Aug 31, 2014
  13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I don't like the added bulk of carrying headbands so have worked out some decent ways to hands-free a traditional light. I clip and roll my light into my shirt collar just under my ear, which is actually more stable (less bouncy) and easier to aim than my ZL H51w clipped to my chest. I also cigar carry my light between my pinkie and ring fingers, which leaves the three primary fingers free - call it "85%" hands-free. I also wallet-EDC a DIY lantern diffuser and necklamp cord for long-term hands-free like when camping.

14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Maybe a video will help....

ATB,
    Sam

thePlumbah and Stranger like this.
  15. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I never thought of clipping a Stylus to my watchband. That is a good tip, Water Rat. Thank you. I've had two Stylus lights (one cell), and left them both in vehicles before they were shipped from the factory. That was nice of me. I need to get a couple more. I use the Stylus Pro about 20 times every day. A 1 cell AAA that puts out 20 or 30 lumens would be a great new EDC light. It seems these Stylus lights have been beaten already.

As far as I'm concerned, the only improvements that can be made to the old Vietnam angle-head are 1) make it smaller for AA batteries, and 2) use an LED. Other than that, the light is just fine. What bothers me is that these new manufacturers don't see it that way. They want the light to bend and rotate in six different directions and make coffee. For one thing, I will never, ever, ever clip a light UNDER the bill of my hat. If it can't be clipped on TOP of the bill, it won't go on my hat at all. On the side, over my ear, would be fine as well. I once bought a Streamlight that had a spring clip for the front of the bill. It looked like a goose head perched on my hat, and looked really stupid. I took it back for a refund. CountyComm has a clip light that is perfect. The clip is flat with the body, and the light would lie flat on the bill, terminating at the brim, or just over. I like it. I want to buy one. When manufacturers make these things pivot and rotate this way and that, they over-complicate what could be a great product. It adds length to the device, and it tries too hard to do too many things, like the goose-head Streamlight.

My version of the SideWinder would be a solid box, 4 or 5 inches long, 1 1/2" wide, with the ability to face forward or backward (clipped inside a pocket, or on a molle strap) and just have white or red light. Simple ad functional. As it is, the SideWinder doesn't appeal to me much. I might still buy one, but it seems there are other lights - which you posted above - that do the job better.

The simplicity of the old Vietnam light should be taken as a lesson for these designers.

16. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Okay, that PolyTac 90 video was posted while I was typing. That thing is exactly what I'm talking about! I need to get one of those. It's perfect. No extra gizmos or swivels or anything. It's just what I want. I'm going to look for one right now.

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

hal_chase, thePlumbah and rangetroop like this.
  18. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

If you like/have the old military Fultons, you could 1) replace the original lamp with a LED lamp, I bought a upgrade kit with LED lamp and two battery adapters for AA cells, also have several drop ins by Dorcy and Nite eze. 2)buy one of the updated LED version @ $21 locally, you mileage may vary.

The Streamlight Sidewinder II is smaller than the original and is capable of using a single 123 or AA interchangeably.

If you are looking for a smaller anglehead, there is a AA sized version being made that sells for under $10, I would need to check on the maker and if a LED can be fitted.

Fenix has the HL10 headlamp with a removable light. It needs a clip and would be a tiny AAA 70 lumen anglehead light.

tmedina likes this.
  19. Hiroaki067

Hiroaki067 Loaded Pockets

tmedina likes this.
  20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Energizer "Romeo" - fairly nice light, actually. Seems to be a clone of the Pentagon MOLLE light in most respects.

I saw the AA-sized angle head - made by Rothco, apparently. This thread has made me decide to get one and try an LED upgrade - judging by photos, it uses the same type of flange bulb the Fulton does.