1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

***And that's why I don't carry a .380/micro pistol!***

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ReadyFreddy23, Sep 14, 2016.

1. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

A work friend of mine was shot through the thigh with a hollow point .45 a few years ago. A negligent discharge by somebody else with a 5" 1911. He got lucky that his femoral artery and the femur itself weren't hit. He now has a scar from the entry and exit as well as a scar where an incision was made to go in and fix some tissue damage. I can post some pics later of his leg that I ha e saved somewhere when I can find them.

The recount is what is interesting. He felt no impact from the bullet, felt no pain, did not even know he was shot for a few moments as he tried to figure out where the bullet went. Then he realized his leg was bleeding and sat down and started trying to control the bleed. It still didn't cause him any pain until a few minutes after he realized he was shot. He was conscious all the way to the hospital. It goes to show that when people say handguns are all underpowered, they are correct. Unless you can disrupt the central nervous system and force an adversary to stop, the bullets you're slinging don't matter.

2. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

The point most are missing is that with a longer barrel and sight radius most of us are more accurate than with a micro pocket pistol. Maybe he would have hit center mass. I know some of you are committed to pocket carrying a small caliber small pistol. To each his own.

I however based on factual info will carry a bigger pistol with bigger bullets and holds more rounds.

3. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Best to make that the only gun you take to the range... size/capacity still don't matter if shot placement under duress is lacking.

4. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

All 380s (really 9mm) or 9mm with < a 3" barrel are all going to have the same results. Know the limitation of your pistol. If you are claiming self defense shoot from a second floor window good luck with that.

charlie fox likes this.
  5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

What a shocking story and all over a parking space basically! Here in the UK, handguns were banned some years ago now, I've heard some say "good" and that if the laws were ever relaxed that we could easily experience such incidents over here.

shmook likes this.
  6. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

He didn't shoot from the 2nd floor. He went down to the 1st floor to warn his friend and to stop the man from hurting shooting his friend.

7. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

.........Yeah, "good", sure.
    And you people are left with nothing to defend yourselves against the criminal element.
    Ain't that a peach?

Glock19er likes this.
  8. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Agreed, however Id wager you can shoot a fullsize 9 better than a micro 380.

Easier to shoot + more effective round + more ammo = better chances of success

9. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

Carrying a small pistol is about compromise. If you cant deal with the concessions, carry a full size 1911 in your pocket. Making a comparison between full sized guns and micro guns seems a little fruitless.

Trave1ingEast likes this.
  10. K-808

K-808 Loaded Pockets

So, if the same info was posted with the weapon having been a 9mm, .40 or .45 (or whatever you carry) how many of you would be changing out your carry ??

Peripheral hits and it is caliber failure......

I am not justifying the use of a .380 or any other caliber. The point is, decisions/conclusions should be made on the totality of information and not a specific fact.

k

11. IMightBeWrong

I try to carry full sized as often as possible but it isn't always the best option. If I were working outdoors I wouldn't want to pack a full sized pistol at the same time day in and day out. Walking around town? No problem to carry a full sized pistol. What if you need to dress up for something? Maybe you work a white collar job in a properly fitted suit. A full sized pistol is going to print pretty obviously. Sometimes a very small pistol fits the bill the best. A tool box with nothing but a hammer inside isn't all that great a tool box.

12. IMightBeWrong

A few extra points to stir the pot, and I don't mean to insult the shooter, only to illustrate that I think the wrong conclusion may have been drawn from this scenario.

1. First off, the shooter in this scenario ("John") got out unharmed. Things could have gone a lot worse. He told his attacker to stop multiple times before opening fire. All in all, it seems that he handled the situation pretty well if I take the events of the story at face value and not as hearsay. Good for him.

2. "John" hit his attacker 3 times. I assume he fired more than 3 rounds as well, but the fact that 3 shots landed at all is important because this means that THE CAPACITY OF THE FIREARM WAS NOT THE ISSUE. It also seems safe to gather from this scenario that the assailant was not behind cover or concealment. This would further illustrate that, in this particular scenario, the capacity was not really the issue. This is not to say that greater capacity is not an advantage, but when 3 rounds out of a very small magazine were hits, it makes it hard to argue that the problem was the capacity.

3. The hits were not in vital areas. This is really an extension of number 2, so I'm sure you can see where this is going. The only real complaint to be made in this scenario, since "John" got out unharmed and hit the other party 3 times, is that those hits did not incapacitate his attacker because they did not strike areas that could disrupt the CNS and drop the assailant which would have better minimized the threat. The conclusion that can be drawn here quite easily is that "John" could have benefited from more training. Again, this is not meant to put anyone down. Heck, I could use more training. Everybody on this board could use more training. The point stands, though, that the weakest link in this scenario was not the caliber or capacity or even size of the firearm, but the shooting fundamentals that "John" brought with him. I think he'd be better served by investing more time training than by shopping for a larger gun and refusing to carry anything smaller anymore.

Capacity is an advantage, but considering that 3 rounds hit but were not fight stopping hits, I would argue that relying on more capacity would be not much better than relying on luck over skill since you are only investing in more "chances" to hit. "John" should be FAR more worried about his ability to take advantage of those shots than with capacity. And here's a reason why it's even MORE important than it may sound right now: The first few shots you fire are the most valuable shots you get to take. The longer it takes you to stop your threat, the more opportunity you are providing your attacker to END YOUR LIFE. Had his attacker been more successful, the capacity could have been a total non-issue and your friend could be dead right now with a bullet in his skull on an autopsy table with his gun in an evidence locker and only 1 round stripped off of the magazine. The capacity is an advantage, fundamentals are FUNDAMENTAL.

13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Don't get me wrong, personally I'm not against firearms and I wouldn't say that our governments solution is the perfect answer, far from it.

Some of our residents are just as crazy as yours and yes we still hear about the odd case where a knife or blunt object has been used in such an incident, if these crazy people could easily obtain an handgun, I can imagine that these types of events/cases would rise.

shmook and Wishoot like this.
  14. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

In America the 2A is pushed and supported so that citizens have the ability to defend themselves at the same threat level of an armed attacker.......for personal protection...............but also at the same threat level of an armed tyrant and/or their military......for freedom from tyranny. In the case of personal protection I support law abiding citizens having the ability to keep and bare arms if a resident is crazy (or not) but chooses to wield a knife, blunt object, or handgun (firearm).

It's certainly a trade off but with 10's of 1000's of law abiding citizens reporting successful protection against armed and/or violent attackers/criminals every year it has proven itself to be the right thing to allow and do. Besides, criminals will still find a way to get a weapon (including a firearm) even when the country has a full ban in place.

It also provides a way to level the playing field where weak, slow, lesser physical skills and abilities of victims are used against them by murderers, rapists, pedophiles, batterers, kidnappers, etc. unless they are staring down the barrel of an equalizer.

15. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

We had the over/under at 40 (posts) as to when the 2A would be brought up.
    I took the under...I hope I do as well with the NFL schedule later today. :giggle:

shmook likes this.
  16. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

It is possible to take down a country without firing a shot.
    Depending on the intelligence of that countrys citizens.

Fact: All previous wars have only been ended in one way----Military action.

Just something to think about.

I'm in a place now where I don't need to carry a firearm; but if it becomes necessary, I will carry a Ruger SR45.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

To badly paraphrase a hackeyed age...

Crime scene
    Good to NOT be in it 'cuz you don't need it; and when you're in it, you've stepped in it.

baccar-3 likes this.
  18. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

And that's why running away is a good idea.

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Let me underscore my position on this matter.

There's a HUGE philosophical difference between running away to avoid the fight and running away from a fight. The former is a calculated tactical decision based on one's inability to prevail a fight, gain greater advantage of the conflict, or to simply avoid the pitfalls of the aftermath such as what "John" (see the original post in this thread) should have done.

The latter describes a character flaw frequently associated with the color of the rose in the western song about Texas or Tony Orlando's 1970s hit about tying a ribbon of a certain color 'round an old oak tree. Nineteen sixties "Bond girl" character Ms Galore's titular first name about sums it up as well if not more so.

baccar-3 and Buckeye Jake like this.
  20. IMightBeWrong

What kind of work, I wonder, was John doing on the second floor by the window? Was he able to run at all?