1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Analog vs. Digital.

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Meek, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JoePfeiffer

JoePfeiffer Loaded Pockets

I just prefer reading the time on analog hands. I use a Casio wave-ceptor (so it keeps correct time by updating from WWVB) -- it turns out my eyes have gotten old enough that that's the only one of its zillions of functions I can make use of -- by the time I've dug out my reading glasses to be able to see the lcd screen, I might as well have used an app on my phone!

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149) now Free

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

For the most information per unit area, digital is best. For the fastest information recognition, analog is best. All of them can be rugged - digital has no moving parts so it is less expensive.

Sent using Tapatalk

3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Either is fine for me, they both have their respective qualities. I love my G-shocks but I also love a classic analog watch, for different reasons. What I don't like is the combination, I've yet to see a single combination watch that is good looking and easy to read.

Variation is the name of the game for me when it comes to watches although currently I wear mostly digital watches for the time being. No particular reason. Well, maybe I'm looking for something new in the analog department. ;)

4. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

Ohhh my brain is slow today!
    I couldn't figure out how copying the digital time on paper or soil would help. Doh! He meant drawing it in analog format!
    That took an extra minute more than it should have...

And by the way, that's a great tip. I've never heard it before; but it's so obvious when you're told.

shmook likes this.
  5. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Yep, I should have said analogue :p

6. asdf gfsa

asdf gfsa Empty Pockets

analogue is nice but a friend gifted me a casio f-91w recently - it was my first watch as a kid, and boy is it still great

7. aggie
    • In Omnia Paratus

aggie Loaded Pockets

I have both, and they of course serve different purposes. I am partial to nice automatic manual movements, so "analog" will always have a place in my heart.

8. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Analog, mechanical 95% of the time. Digital as my beater watch. Personally I think it's way more classy to have a nice analog than plastic IMHO.

I'm a watch guy, so I tend notice other peoples watches... It does not have to be pricey, just nice.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I used to have a digital beater. (I was not kidding about the process for setting the time.)

Still have it, never gonna wear it again! Got a cheap analog beater instead.

10. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

Analog all the way
    Xiii

11. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Whoops, wrong thread, I thought this was shoelaces vs velcro...

:)

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Velcro is actually more pragmatic and lets you adjust the tension on your feet instantly, unlike shoelaces. But velcro sneakers have a bad reputation as shoes just for children or adults with mental impairments. Other than Wal-Mart $20 sneakers that are so cheap they don't even come in boxes, good luck finding adult-sized sneakers with velcro fasteners.

13. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I'm working emergency medical calls in dimly-lit rooms, I usually have both hands busy. My analog watch has self-glow Tritium hands. I can check vital signs and drug administration times at a glance without having to stop and push a button like I'd have to do with a digital watch.

14. StJimmyS21

StJimmyS21 Loaded Pockets

While I have a digital on my vest for work(they require exact minute times on some paperwork), I prefer my analog Luminox.

Or in the words of Pat Rogers: "When I look at my Rolex, 3 o'clock is to my right. If you are wearing a digital watch, then you're a :censored:ing yuppie and you suck."

:D

15. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

All my wristwatches are analogue (two Wengers, two trasers, a swatch, an Antoine Arnaud). I’m thinking of preordering a Eone Bradley … :oops:

16. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

What would you rather have on your wrist? A tiny precise beautiful machine, or a tiny precise (possibly) beautiful computer?

It's an easy answer for me. I love my analog watches - I have a Ti Seiko quartz, a Citizen Eco Drive and a Hamilton Jazzmaster. I have a G shock for hiking and camping as a beater.

17. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I prefer Analog as I find it easier and faster to read, I don't actually need to focus on the watch, just a quick glance, and my mind figures it out as I am looking at something else, a digital I need to properly look at.

I also love being able to just look at my watch, and not needing to press any buttons to get it to light up (my daily watch has incredible Lume though)

18. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Digital is great for getting a quick reading of the time, but if in business wear it sticks out. I myself wear a cheap digital/analog combo watch and I have no complaints. That being said I droll at the look of some other watches I have seen online :p

19. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Tritium is cool but I have a problem that it doesn't go completely dim. And do keep in mind that some digitals (Like my Frogman) can be set to illuminate if the wrist is tilted as if to read the time.

20. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I kind of have seasons.. Some times i wear analog casios for a half year and then suddenly turn to my g-shocks.. Then back again in the summer