1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

An Ill-equipped world?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Hahn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jggonzalez

jggonzalez Loaded Pockets

I also get strange looks for my edc gear. I usually carry a pocketknife, 3x5 notepad in a Write As Rain nylon cover, Hinderer pen, Fisher Space Pen, JDR Betta, Atwood Booger, cellphone, flashlight (either a Nitecore Extreme or D10), and spare batteries in a nylon case on my belt. To me these seem like the bare essentials. My wife used to tease me about the light until it came in handy a few times. Now she even carries a Fenix AAA light in her purse. Not much, but its a start. I'm still working on the rest.

2. xxkid123

xxkid123 Loaded Pockets

i find it better to EDC what is essential, like a knife, a light (soon to be bought), sometimes a disposable lighter, and a watch. anything else i want i can make, improvise, or suck it up. as for the unpreparedness, most people where i live aren't prepared in the EDC fashion, but rather in a few candles, maybe a mega light (one of those massive 6" diameter lights that run on those large 9 volt square batteries). as for knives, when ever i use one out of school my friends initially thought i was insane (they already did, but it got amped up a notch ;D), to them, anything that is sharp or dangerous looking is a weapon. It's drilled in.

3. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

You dang right I do, and that goes for stupid knife carry laws too. It's called discrete carry, don't clip it to your pocket and advertise and don't flaunt the fact that you carry a knife, keep the :censored: thing well hidden until you need it. If I get caught, so be it.

Let's say something happens while I'm at work and can't get to the truck to get supplies or tools and I need a freakin' knife. Do you think that Mother Nature is playing by the same rules and won't put us in situations that we don't need knives? I think not.

Everyone needs to think about the level of peril they could be put in and the tools they would need to survive. If that means carrying so-called 'illegal' knives(determined by a-wipes in government) then I'm all for it. Laws aren't going to protect us when it gets bad.

4. Sigsense

Sigsense Loaded Pockets

Our nation has become very accustomed to having luxuries and the police/government telling them that they have no worries. The slightest hiccup sends the populace in a panic. We can only take care of ourselves if we have prepared. A knifeless life is a lifeness life is my saying. Carry my Benchmade on me at all times.

5. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

I think a lot of this depends on your upbringing and how often you've had to rely on yourself and what you have on you in a situation. Often I guess the people asking to borrow your EDC stuff are the ones who've been given an easy ride.

The missus used to mock me a bit for carrying stuff. One day she laughed at me when I offered someone a pen because I always seem to have one. I pointed out theres at least 3 in her massive handbag, the difference is I can find mine in a hurry... To be fair she carries more stuff than me, she just doesn't realise. She looked at me wierdly for having a FAK made up in a peli case in the car but she'd used more stuff in there than me and she's never touched the one she's had in the boot of her car for years. Mostly because my one is customised to our requirements not an off the shelf placebo kit.

I do carry a knife everywhere but I won't carry one if it doesn't look like a tool rather than a weapon. Just personal choice I guess.

6. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

It is a sad state of affairs that society is banning the very tools that created it. I also only carry a knife that looks like a tool, rather than a weapon.
    -johnny

7. grodo.00

grodo.00 Loaded Pockets

Good Story! Funny thing is i could see that happening in my office!! Engineers have to have the MathCAD

8. stillad

stillad Empty Pockets

Too funny. Had the same thing happen in my office, except it was just the network that went down. Immediate and total non-productivity ensued.

9. Byrd2000

Byrd2000 Loaded Pockets

I usually have two different responses to those who question my EDC with, "Why do you have [insert EDC item here]?" My response is either the classic "Don't you?" or the matter-of-factly put, "In case I need it"

10. xdivercrete

xdivercrete Empty Pockets

11. Hahn

Hahn Empty Pockets

I like both of those.

12. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

Great post, decent comments:).

A light is the one thing I think I'd be mostly likely to actually need in the real world in all my movements. However, a baton, knife, gun, and extra magazine would be sorely missed in the event some real crap hit the fan on a bad day, so I've trained myself to be comfortable edcing it all. Every time I leave off the extra mag i just cringe thinking I might regret it later. Most say thats paranoia, some say it's preparedness, I say it ain't no big deal and I don't mind carrying it.

I think we could really learn something by watching the Israelis. Those people live ready.

Thanks again for a cool thread.

13. Byrd2000

Byrd2000 Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

14. jargon

jargon Empty Pockets

+1 Great ideas

15. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

I have had a lot of fun reading the posts on this thread and can easily relate to the feeling of "why doesn't everyone get how easy and useful it is to carry a multi-tool and an average l.e.d. flashlight?" Those two things alone can get someone through so many everyday situations that they should be as common as keys and a wallet. I would have loved to have had the kind of flashlight that you can get at a Target or Wal-mart for $20 now back in the '80s when I got my first S.A.K. and wanted a flashlight to carry too. Oh well, better late than never. My gear may not be the newest or the best, but I always have it with me.

16. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Ill-equipped indeed.

You just can never expect when you need something. For example, a flashlight may not be needed only when power goes out, it maybe needed even when all lights in the room are ON.

A few years back a service engineer came in to fix a broken instrument where I work. When he opened up the instrument he had to look in real dark corners inside . He did not have a flashlight !!! So, I lent him a flashlight to help finish his work.

17. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

That's a good example right there of an ill equipped world when a service tech doesn't have a flashlight but needs it to do his job. That is why I always have my Leatherman Wave and flashlight on me at all times, right now I'm carrying a Fenix LD10 before it was just a cheapy $10 MiniMag but it lasted me a good 12 years before I replaced it. I always get asked why I carry a flashlight, my response is because I do.

18. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Actually there are many many examples of being UNPREPARED is becoing an ideology.
    My wife and klids are preparing for a trip and I made all reservations for them. Like any good husband/father would do, I reserved for them the best of whatever was available.

My wife was arranging the bags when she saw a few pouches I brought to include. She opened the utility pouch (has a few basic tools and odds and ends) and asked : You said it was a 5 star hotel, so why do we need any tools ??

I was so mad at the question I didn't answer. Half an hour later i sat with my two sons and told them about all those things and what they could be used for. Like a duct tape on a plastic card , the long nose pliers, the wire and zip ties , the super glue ..etc. And then asked them if they thought of anything else that could be useful in any situation, they should add it.

Then I gave the wife a home-assembled sewing kit which she appreciated.
    She knew what it was for !!!

Me ? I just got tired of explaining. So I don't advertise my stuff.
    When/if something happens, they will find the answer.
    If nothing happens, then everyone is happy.

mmm
    Anyone needs another example pof preparedness ??

I carry TWO car keys. One of them on a keychain with my office keys. The other is in a key wallet with my house keys.
    Why ?? Because anyone can lock the keys inside the car any time.

A few days ago, I was with a coleague when his phone rang and he had to leave. Another colleague had locked his car keys in the car, and has asked him to go to his house, ask the wife for spare key, and bring to him in the other town.

I should memorize this story for an answer when that colleague asks me why I carry two keys. I will tell him : to spare you a needless trip to my house, and another needless trip to another town with my spare keys !!

19. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

this type of story is even better if you have driven somewhere on vacation.

20. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I had been through quite a few blackouts at my former job that to me it made more sense to have a flashlight on my person than not to. Now it is just something I do out of habit, I don't advertise that I have my light and multi tool but when it's needed people are usually glad that I have it on me and thank me without a second thought as to why I have it on me. Back during the big 2003 blackout in the northeast I was shopping in Home Depot when the lights went out, many customers were in a panic but not me I pulled my light out and kept on shopping like nothing happened at all. I recieved a few stares at that one, but when you are prepared nothing bothers you.