1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

An Ill-equipped world?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Hahn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Empty Pockets

rarely post but read often as i am a bit anti social, talk about needing to be prepared a female member of staff had got here engagment ring crushed onto her finger by a slammed door i think and a panicing second female came running over to the boss who i happened to be talking to, the boss had seen my bat belt in action before and just pointed to me, by the time i got to the female with the stuch ring had a purple really it was purple finger, one quick bit of reshaping with the LM surge and the ring was off, could have been very nasty but all i was asked was why did you have plyers in your pocket and as usual i said ex boy scout, then add "be prepared", that same boss (also a friend) has come to me and asked for all sorts of stuff to be fixed including breaking into 3 safes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

My opinion as to why the world is so ill-prepared...
    In industrial countries, here in America especially, we have become an "instant gratification" society. Hungry? Hit the drive thru or resturant. Favorite TV show not jiving with your schedule? Record it or download it from the internet. Need to buy something but can't be bothered to actually go out and shop for it? Hit the internet. Need to know something now? Google it.
    People are so used to living in the "now", they can't look 15, 20 minutes down the road for themselves. With all the media coverage of hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc... a lot of people are at least marginally more prepared. But they usually have it at home or in car, not ON them. I don't think the average person leaves their house thinking "what if I need a pen? Cut myself and need a band-aid? Need to open a box or cut some string? How about the power goes out and I'm stuck in the dark?"
    They don't plan on the unexpected, because they live in the "now". And if something DOES happen, they "expect" someone around them to be able to bail them out, like the McDonalds will have a quater pounder if they get hungry....

3. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

Good post. I think you're exactly right. Nobody seems able to see past the end of their nose, and nobody seems to comprehend that something might happen that is even slightly removed from their shortsighted 'plan' for the day. If they even have a plan.

4. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

and that is what brought me here, as i do not drive a car, and keep pondering ways to carry stuff with me so that i dont need to return somewhere to get it (i cant say i live centrally at all), and it being at hand without being in the way.

so far my best options are vests, or similar...

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

As strange as this may seem to many of you. I actually don't think I know a person in real life that does not have a flashlight and pocket knife on them most all of the time.

6. Hahn

Hahn Empty Pockets

While many people seem to think it is odd for a full grown man to want to carry around a bag, it is very useful. There are a plethora of EDC bags to choose from; and in fact if you want something significantly smaller than a full blown bag, I've seen people EDC their gear in organizers
    [ http://milspecmonkey.com/weargear/pouches/297-maxpedition-edc-pocket-organizer ]. I personally love having a large(r) bag, but I use diapers for my two daughters as an excuse...

7. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

I'm right there with ya'. It just doesn't seem possible that so many people are so unprepared. for ANYTHING. Sad.

8. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

That is remarkable! I don't think i know of a single person other than myself who does... I have obviously been remiss in my evangelizing. Everyone is happy to use my knife or light when it is needed but never seem to get the idea of carrying their own.

9. TCW 60

TCW 60 Loaded Pockets

I was by my orthopaedic, which has a hunting license and he was surprised to see that I had a flashlight and a knife with me.

10. Furface

Furface Loaded Pockets

Way back in 1995, Hurricane Opal paid a visit to Georgia. The end results were a week without power. At my house, we opened the windows, lit the oil lamps and sat around telling ghost stories to the kids in the neighborhood.

Fast fowards to 2002. I was in an elevator when power was knocked out to the building. I pulled my photon light from my pocket and turned it on. I pressed the doors open and slide my leatherman tool between them to hold the doors open. I sat back in light and comfort for the 4 hours it took the fire department to 'rescue' me. The firemen were surprised I wasn't sitting in the dark like other elevator trapped people were.

Fast forward to 2009, a huge thunderstorm rolled through with over 4 inches of rain and 65 mph+ winds. Once again, the lights went out in Georgia. At our house, I reached over and turned on the Brinkmann fluorescent and led lantern. After about an hour, I looked outside. At two of the houses I could see (there are 15 that I can see in daylight), lanterns/lights flickered. The next day, the parents at those houses were out and I asked them about it. They both said thier kids came home after the ghost stories in 95 telling them about the lanterns we were using and where we kept them. So they went out and bought oil lamps. Over the years, though, every time they (the parents or the kids) visited, they checked out what type of lantern we had setting ready. And they went out and bought the same ones.

So at least 3 times, a bit of forethought and preperations came in handy.

11. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

12. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

The other day at work I had some baked goods sitting on my desk free for anyone to take. I noticed that only myself and one other guy were eating it. Then I realized why - we were the only ones with knives to cut it! I cut up what was left and all of a sudden everyone else started eating it. Considering it is a fairly blue collar environment I was rather surprised to find out no one had a knife on them. Out of 22 guys I think there are only 3 (including me) with knives, one with a multi tool (me), and two with flashlights (including me again).

13. JerryD

JerryD Loaded Pockets

I have all kinds of little stories; however, on that I find rather amusing happened about a year ago. Some trouble with the local power-grid caused a brief blackout on campus one night. I was in the top flood of our library doing some reasearch when it happened. I simply pulled my mini maglite our of my pack and kept reading. To me it was no big deal.

I was the only one that had a light (other than a cellphone screen) on the entire floor. Several people approached me and were suprised to see me just sitting there doing my work. It turned out that they had assumed I was campus security that had come to lead them out. :shrug:

14. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

You're just hanging out with a better class of people. ;D

15. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Very few people I know EDC anything other than the usual wallet, keys, cellphone and (rarely) a SAK. This includes my family (I've tried) and virtually my entire circle of friends. But then I live in San Francisco (CA), where nothing out of the ordinary ever happens. :idiot2:

16. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

I always have a EDC flashlight with myself on my keyring. (it's just 2 dollars, and it works pretty well) Anyway, interesting story, i learnt something today. =)

17. Crenshaw

Crenshaw Empty Pockets

No one around me seems prepared for anything....

I am consistently providing light, Paracetamols, Antihistamines, Something to cut with, a pen, band aids.

and i even carry 5 spare cheap keychain lights to give out to anyone who wants one. People will see me use a light, and go, "thats neat" so ill pass them one, and then the next time i meet them they will tell me how useful it is and cant believe they never did it before..

I think it depends on the circles you run in. People of a certain profession are more likely to have certain items on their person, because of their experience.

Crenshaw

18. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

Ever since my dad said I was old enough to have a knife I have ALWAYS been the guy who always had a knife.....my friends don't even ask anymore....they just KNOW I have a knife....but what blows me away is that some of these friends I have hung out with for 10 plus years and they still don't have a knife on them.....and ALL of them have kids of their own.....I have none..wouldn't being responsible for someone else prompt more people to take responsibility.....oh..nevermind...that would just start a heated discussion about parents and beingt responsible for their children....LOL!

I've even given my friends VERY nice knives and they still never carried them....you can lead a horse....

I think, with the MAJOR amount of different variations of knives and flashlights available today to people, no one should have an excuse for not finding one they like or find comfortable...

But, whatever. I like having my gear on me and I like my man-purse.

19. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

during katrina when we had no power for weeks.

I was fine since I could camp on the moon. But the wife freaked out and was totally panicy doing dumb things like driving around thinking someone would help and provide for us.

since then I realized I have to prepare to provide for my whole family since my wife will never prepare and the kids are just too small. :shrug:

20. bobrip

bobrip Loaded Pockets

My wife is a girl scout. I was burning a stump out in the front yard, and I come home and she is cooking supper on it. I think the house would burn down and she would cook supper on it. The best Christmas we ever had, we lost power for 3 days and every body stayed in the family room near the fire place. We had a great time. We do have a generator though.

BobRip