1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

An Awl for the Wave?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by bfitz, Dec 17, 2016.

1. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Recently picked up a Leatherman Wave and like it. The only thing about it that I would like is to take out the micro/eye glass screwdriver bit that I will never use and put in an awl, which I never thought I would use until I got a SAK years ago. Has anyone done this? Advice?

Thanks Everyone

2. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

have you looked into the awl from the MUT ? not sure if it will be too long or if it will work but it's worth at least looking at it

3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

The MUT doesn't have an awl. Are you thinking of the awl in the LM Signal?

4. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Sorry. Was referring to the scraper that could be used as an awl

5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Unlike most other LM parts the MUT's bronze carbon scraper is available as a replacement without cannibalizing another tool.

I own a MUT and a Rave (Wave I modded to have a Rebar pliers head) -- my Rave's small bit driver is stock, so I compared them. The scraper tool is significantly wider at the pivot -- just over 3mm vs 2mm for the small bit driver. The scraper's length would also impinge on a protrusion from the handle that I suspect is a stand-off to prevent the pliers head from getting bound up when the tool is closed. The scraper might well impinge on the pliers head as well. One could certainly machine a MUT's carbon scraper to be thinner and shorter than stock but it looks like it would be a lot of effort.

6. Grimley

Grimley Loaded Pockets

I have saw mods possibly TNP on youtube that created an awl out of an old drill bit which could be used in the bit driver plus its removable should you no longer need it!

bfitz likes this.