1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

An “either/or” question...would you rather?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, May 14, 2021.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Perhaps if you changed your pants more often (than every 5 years), you might have a better grasp of what’s in your pockets and edc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

But why change the pants if the edc hasn’t? If the pants change, the edc will likely need to change as well; forcing me to create another paradigm. I don’t need that because it will force me to overthink WHAT I carry. That could cause injury to me and others.

Pants stay the same, edc items stay the same. No need to retrain; therefore the risk doesn’t elevate.

3. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

What dmattaponi was trying to say was: can you at least wash the pants from time to time? People are starting to talk. ;-)

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. dmattaponi

Lol

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Reaaaalllly?! I wouldn’t in a million years thought of that, Reidar!

But why wash the pants? I would have to take the edc items out of the pockets to wash the garment; forcing me to overthink about which particular pockets that they routinely go in.

Why make me go through that much trouble?

6. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I guess there is a certain charm about pants that can stand upright by themself even if you are not wearing them.

As for the selection of edc items, i have not changed those for some years myself except for the revolving carusel of edc knife selection. I sport a Frn Chapparral with a Lynch clip at the moment. The Bugout I was using got blood on it. Seems the darned woman borrowing it was not expecting it to be razor sharp. No, no, she is alright. Luckily I carry a small first aid kit in the manbag mentioned earlier.

Usually I will match edc knife handle cover to what I am wearing. In summer that will be tan, light green or grey, so it is not too hard. (Winter is black, dark blue and dark green) You would be surprised how less intimidating the spotting of a knife will be once they realise that it is color-coordinated. I call this urban camouflage. If you want to blend in and go unnoticed in the city, it helps to vaguely resemble a concrete wall

Once in a while I will wear red. But then the hat, t-shirt shirt and bandana will all be variants of red. I have to get some use for edc for my Victorinox knife collection as well.

The colors may change but the setup stays the same. I always wear a bandana round my neck, but I have a drawer full of them.

Sorry if this is off-topic[​IMG]

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

7. dmattaponi

You’ve got to quit making me laugh out loud. Glad I wasn’t drinking a cup of coffee when I read the first line above.

As for my edc items...I’ve been carrying the same basic items in my freshly laundered and regularly changed pants for prob around 25-30+ years now (some 40+). I go to the extreme of knowing what pocket (and condition) they are in even though I change my pants (and buy new ones) regularly. I don’t even have to think about this, it comes so naturally.

Knife
    Light
    Pen
    Multitool

They’re pretty timeless IMO, but I do try to refine them from time to time in light of experience, current conditions, age and lifestyle changes. Nothing fancy either, I probably have a sum total of not much more than $100 in these basics. No color coordination for me...but I do like your idea of camouflage (the SAK kind of accomplishes that purpose for me).

No worries about being off topic. I’ve enjoyed your lighthearted comments. This thread was intended to be fun.
    [​IMG]

#27 dmattaponi, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
  8. dmattaponi

Come to think of it, maybe it’s not an either or question…
    Today I’m carrying a larger multitool than usual, and a smaller SAK than usual. Perhaps it’s more of a “balancing game”. A philosophical discovery of striking a balance…an epiphany of sorts ;-). Hopefully this won’t rock anyone’s world too much. Here’s to keeping those pants clean (or at least changing them once in a while), and knowing what’s in them!
    [​IMG]

#28 dmattaponi, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  9. Rathbone

Rathbone Loaded Pockets

I'm lately of the opinion that a cheap full sized individual tool is often better (for me!) than an expensive multitool. For work I carry a small Kodak bag with...
    Wera bit holder
    Small engineers pliers
    2 x sets of allen keys (metric and imperial)
    Small adjustable spanner
    Small tape measure
    1 x AAA torch

Some of the repairs I've done with this have amazed me. I suspect a multitool could have achieved some but not all.

The trick is being able to antcipate the most likely problems that you will encounter and then consider if the smaller, convience of a multitool is the best choice.

My personal EDC is a Gerber Dime, homemade prybar, and credit card sized FAK. Minimal, but it is all I seem to need.

Interestingly, lots of people carry screwdrivers, bit holders etc, but not many people carry screws, nuts and bolts, jubilee clips etc.

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I rather carry a small number of light gear that I use daily.

Knife and light.