1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ammunition Accountability Act

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by muddyboots_73, Jan 8, 2009.

1. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Detection and prosecution, not prevention. It could also help prevent miscarriages of justice i suspect given the right circumstances. I see this as more likely than someone retrieving the brass and bullet you have fired at the range and using it to frame you for murder.

That said i see this as unworkable and the monopoly implications alone made me dislike the concept before thinking much further on it.

2. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

This legislation, honestly scares the crap out of me. Even worse than havng a list of who owns firearms at the store that sold them to you, this places an easy to access database within government reach. You buy ammo, you're on the list. It doesn't matter which side of the aisle you favor, nor which holds power at the moment. I wouldn't want this kind of information in ANY hands.

3. muddyboots_73

muddyboots_73 Empty Pockets

Either reloading would be a thing of the past or the bullets themself that you buy will have a code on them too. Some feel you will not be able to buy bullets, cases, primers and powder. All components will be gone because they would violate this law.

You can always cast your own bullets and find brass after you shoot and even make things that go poof, however finding a primer may be a problem.

Here are a few site that talks about it..

www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Technology.htm
    www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

4. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

That is a flawed argument that can be used to justify all sorts of outrageous things.

How about having a barcoded serial number tattooed on every person at birth? Would that be a problem for you because it only costs a few cents per person, or would you have a problem with the government tracing your person for some reason? It could do a lot of good - imagine all the kidnapped children who could be easily found if we all had barcodes on our wrist and had to scan them whenever we enter a public building like a school or hospital.

How about having mandatory lojack on every cell phone? It would allow missing people to be found much more easily, both those who are kidnapped and those who go missing from illness or injury. Would you have a problem with that costing a few extra bucks per phone, or would you have a problem with the government knowing where you are at all times?

How about making it mandatory to ID yourself by swiping your drivers license whenever you make any kind of purchase, whether by cash, check, or electronic means? This would eliminate billions of dollars in fraud and identity theft, reduce sales of alchohol and tobacco to minors, reduce sales of weapons to convicted felons, and allow police to easily track who buys things with stolen credit or debit cards. Would you have a problem with it because it would add a few cents to every transaction you make, or would you not want the government to know exactly what you buy, when you buy, and where you buy it at all times?

All of these things are technically possible with current technology. But no government official in his right mind would ever suggest any of them, because he'd be pilloried. The potential for abuse with any sort of "tracking" technology is, IMHO, far too great to allow any of it to be made mandatory, even stuff as positive sounding as "We can now tell which criminal fired the fatal shot in every gun murder." Why do they need to track me, my purchases, my habits, my communications, or even my ammo purchases? I'm NOT a criminal, the government has no right to track me or my habits. Not even my ammo purchases.

5. peacefuljeffrey

But your system, as described so far, would enable exactly that. It's but one reason why I cannot and will not support it.
    It sounds like the circumstances under which this kind of plan would "help prevent miscarriages of justice" would have to be so contrived and convoluted that it would be effective in one in a million cases, sort of like the circumstances under which a waiting-period law would prevent that "moment of passion" spousal murder. I just don't see any of those things being likely; but on the other hand, abuse of ordinary people, who will get ensnared wrongly in legal nets because of difficulty complying with more and more complicated laws and regulations is quite likely.

I don't quite understand why you appear to both support a system like this even as you say things like, "That said i see this as unworkable."

Many of us see ALL gun control as "unworkable," so long as the goal is to control crime. If the goal is to frustrate the ability of the GOOD people to be armed for defense, gun control is plenty workable, and in fact works just fine.

6. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Everyone - Please be aware that this thread is about the Ammuniton Accountability Act only. It is not meant for bashing other members nor as a catch-all place to vent for off-topic issues. A number of posts have had to be removed for these reasons.

Let's be respectful of each other, especially those with different opinions.

Ray

:dabird: