1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ammunition Accountability Act

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by muddyboots_73, Jan 8, 2009.

1. johnsoax

johnsoax Empty Pockets

And if you read the legisislation, there is a "license fee" per bullet as well that the ammo manufacturer must pay to use the machine they spent 300-500k on. This is just a money making scam someone is trying to make look good.

2. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

The large ammunition manufacturers will be able to license the technology or come up with their own proprietary system that meets the requirement.

The many small manufacturers will be forced out of business.

Mark

3. snidera

snidera Loaded Pockets

IN HB1260 died in committee, Give your reps an email letting them know you don't want it. You might be surprised at their response

I'm very happy with the responses I've received from my (D) representatives regarding gun legislation (and in general). In fact, if it weren't for the looney national leadership, I'll take my (D) reps over the (R)'s we've had in the past......

But I'm also on cold medicine, so I might be kinda out there today.

4. pneutin

pneutin Empty Pockets

5. Grits

Grits Empty Pockets

Loophole #4-Bullet is pulled using an impact bullet puller, number defaced and then replaced using reloading equipment.

Loophole #5-Person has lead, molds, and heat source and cast their own bullets.

6. NightFire

NightFire Empty Pockets

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Technology.htm

7. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

I thought you were kidding until I went to the range last weekend. I stopped in a Wally world to grab a couple of 100 round boxes of Winchester target ammo. To my surprise, they were out. I grabbed the last 50 round box of Blazers they had.

Since then, I have been checking the local Wal-mart's around here and unless you count .22's... they are all (3 different stores in East metro Atlanta) completely out of handgun ammo. I'll have to go by Bass-Pro shop this week to see what the situation is there.

Without getting too far off topic. Do I chalk the local ammo shortage up to this or similar pending legislation? or is it panic buying based more on (and I am NOT trying to start anything by saying this) the recent changing of the political guard? Or is It something else entirely?

-Greg

8. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Copierguy, my gut instinct is that your local ammo shortage has more to do with the economy than any pending legislation or the new administration, though the political changover is probably influencing a lot of people to stock up on ammo, too.

Whenever the economy goes bad, crime rises. This makes people scared, and they stock up on ammo. The economy is mighty bad right now, and many types of crime seem to be on the rise, so people are stocking up as a way to make themselves feel safer.

Likewise, when the economy goes bad, factories produce less due to layoffs and increased production and distribution costs, and stores stock less of just about everything because everything they can't afford to be stuck with anything that might not move well enough to make a profit. I wonder if WalMarts around the country are getting fewer trucks in each week, and less of many items; my local WalMart seems to be out of stock or very low on about 5-10% of its total inventory on a regular basis.

The change in administrations also has many gun owners in a froth of panic, believing that the new administration will tighten restrictions on the purchase of both guns and ammo, so they're stocking up before that happens. Specific legislation aside, the feeling among many gun enthusiasts is that a Democratic administration with a Democraticaly-controlled Congress will be far more likely to enact highly restrictive gun legislation as a matter of course.

I don't know how valid all of these fears are, but I doubt that we'll see the total repeal of the Second Amendment any time soon.

9. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Do we then have to make bullets of such a design that they will maintain integrity so that the markings will be readable? And what about shot guns. Are we going to ID each pellet in a round of bird shot? Another thing that I find disturbing is that law enforcement are excluded from this provision in many of laws as written. I think that they should be just as accountable for their shots as the rest of us, no offense to those trying hard to keep us safe.

10. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Officer's gun are tested when they are involved in a shooting and the bullets matched to a barrel. For them to be "exempt" from the intention of the law then they would need to fire there gun and not report it and never have it logged (then or in the future). Which is certainly going to end their career and possibly is illegal in itself (i have no knowledge either way).

As for being readable, the markings are repeated lots of times over the rear of the bullet so there will be something to see on it even in a mangled bullet. Bear in mind most bullets have marks from the rifling that is recognizable enough to be accepted in a court as evidence (unlike for instance lie detectors) and that is the main point of impact and can be recorded when impacting bone, with through and throughs into brick walls etc so are much more mangled.

11. AJC629

AJC629 Empty Pockets

You and everyone on here knows it's crap and a way to put the ammo manufactures out of business. Look at the FBI statistics on all this stuff. If they can't ban firearms, just price the ammo out with this requirement! Let's see, I could pull the bullet, score it to remove serial numbers and make the lans and grooves undefinable, not to mention making the gun un-identifiable as a felon who shouldn't touch a gun anway. :evil:

12. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets