1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Amerikilts

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by mercop, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

For some time I have been entertaining the idea of purchasing a kilt to celebrate my Celtic heritage. A few things were causing me to procrastinate. The first was that I had never worn one and did not know if I would end up being into it, and unlike some other stuff I am into, a used kilt might be a little harder to sell or trade. The other thing was that I had never been able to handle anything besides the traditional wool ones in person, at $400+ was too much to spend on something to try out.

Recently, I was attending the Maryland Irish Festival in Timonium MD with my family, when I came upon a booth that said Amerikilts. The first thing I noticed was the price…$95. Now that was a price tag I could live with if things did not work out and kilt wearing was not for me. After entering the booth, I was greeted by Amerikilt founder Michael Butler who asked me if I would like him to size me. Well, before I knew it, I was wearing my new kilt over my Woolrich Elite Shorts. I also had my ten-year-old son sized, but he was just below their smallest size of 28 inches, so he will have to wait a while. I hurried off to the men’s room to take off my shorts. Right away I knew the whole kilt thing was for me. It helped that my kilt test drive was around a bunch of other guys wearing kilts and enjoying Guinness.

Over the next few days, because of having family in town, we did some sightseeing. I took advantage of it and wore my kilt out to see how people would react. So far, the kilt has been to the National Zoo in Washington DC and Gettysburg National Battlefields. At the zoo nobody batted an eye. While in Gettysburg, I got several nods of admiration from other gentlemen.

Being so happy with my Amerikilt, I decided to contact the company and get some information to write a review of this classic piece of man gear. Michael himself answered the phone and we talked for some time. Michael always had a fondness for kilts and was dismayed at how expensive even some of the non-traditional kilts were, and thought that the price was prohibitive for people wanting to see if the kilt was for them. He asked his wife if she thought she could make one, and the rest is history, and that was 8 years ago. Now Michael and his wife attend Celtic Festivals along the east coast selling and promoting their product.

Let’s take a look at the kilt itself. For those not familiar, the kilt has six snaps that hold it closed in the front, at the top of the leading end of the kilt there is a piece of Velcro that secures the edge neatly to your waistband.

The Ameirkilt is free of pockets except for a wallet pocket on the back right. This also secures with a Velcro tab. The top of the pocket is nicely finished like on a pair of uniform pants.

Now to my favorite part of the Amerikilt, the matching sporran (pouch worn with kilt to carry necessities) which is unique to Amerikilt. Mike told me that he thought that customers trying to get into kilt culture should not have to pay extra for the sporran. Amerikilt's sporrans match the kilt and are held in place by two heavy- duty clasps. I had no problem fitting my Civilian Labs wallet and Taurus Model 85 Ultra Lite 38 special in the sporran. I find due to location that it is easy to work out of and more convenient to get to, especially when driving, more so than pant’s pockets.

Mike said that he believes that just as he believes that every man should own a fancy suit for special occasions, and a pair of Dockers for casual wear, every man should own a fancy kilt as well as an Amerikilt for day to day wear. He is right because now that I know the kilt is for me I will be getting my family’s tartan down the road.

Amerikilts are made in Cheltennham PA, out of 8.5 oz cotton twill or duck. Right now they only stock earth tones in sizes from 28-58, however Mike said they will make a kilt out of any material supplied to them by the customer for the same price as one they stock. This has become a favorite option of those who serve and want to have a kilt made in a specific camouflage pattern.

During our conversation, Mike told me that his customers all have one thing in common, they don’t care a whit about what anybody else thinks. If you have entertained the idea of trying out a kilt, go ahead. You will not believe how comfortable and practical they really are. Check out Amerikilts at www.amerikilts.com.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the kilt wearing clan Mercop. I'm a Utilikilt man myself. I also have a traditional wool kilt in my tartan which I wore when I got married. Freedom!!!(from underwear that is). Anatomically speaking, pants are for women and unbifurcated garments are for men.

3. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I have a buddy who wears kilts. Ill tell him about Amerikilt. Funny thing is that we both live in MD around the fairgrounds.

4. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Fantastic! I have bunch of UKs myself. I've considered an Amerikilt because of the modern sporran it has. Spread the word, brother!

[​IMG]

5. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

Good for you guys! I am of Scottish descent (Clan Fraser) and am plenty secure in my masculinity but I just don't know if I could pull it off. I saw some cool Utilikilts? at BLADE West this year, and cottage-industy kilts are catching on among long-distance hikers.

Great review and pics, mercop! This confirms my observations so far: gentlemen that sucessfully pull off the kilt outside of a Highland Games setting not only do not give a crap about what strangers think, but usually have the boots and stature as well.

6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I'm teetering on the edge as far as kilt-wearing (for myself) goes.

I love the idea of them, just not sure I can pull it off. Might have to just bite the bullet on one. :shrug:

7. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

George you are a sexy beast :heart: :laugh:

8. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I just don't get it. I'm of Scottish blood and have owned both of my Tartans since I was a teen but I only wear them for special occasions. I admit I have worn a kilt just for fun but I also had a two foot red mohawk at the time.

But hey more power to ya fellas, it does feel good on a breezy day LOL

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I'll admit to being somewhat intrigued by kilts, though I have no Celtic heritage whatsoever. I've just always liked being a little odd. :idiot2:

Alas, my legs are not pretty enough to pull it off. ;D

10. James In Toronto

James In Toronto Loaded Pockets

Several people have mentioned the Utilikilt. EDCers should know that what the Utilikilt has is pockets. Lots and lots of pockets.

11. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

I wear the kilt for my happiness, nobody else's. I will be wearing it more and more. On a half joke I also became an ordained minister a few months back because two friends wanted me to marry them in MD, and I needed a letter of good standing from a church to to it. The bride is Puerto Rican and the groom an Irishman. She wants me to wear the kilt and my police dress jacket that I am having cut down to an Ike Jacket. Life is to short to not do what makes you happy. Especially the small things.- George

12. mikeinrancho

mikeinrancho Empty Pockets

:censored:... I've been told I've got the legs for a kilt, but I don't have the nerve I guess. Like other replies ahead of me, I'd like to wear one for the 'oddity', but I'm not big on attracting attention, which I'm sure a kilt is good at. But I'm checking them out online anyway.

13. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I started wearing the kilt back in the '60s as a tenor drummer with a pipe band. Got my own in the family tartan for my wedding, and many years later wore it at my daughter's wedding. I wear it primarily for special occasions -- formal events, highland games, Scottish country dancing, singing Scottish folk songs, etc. In the last few years I've had it "enlarged" about as far as it can go. I need to lose some weight or buy a new kilt. I've thought about the UtiliKilt, and the AmeriKilt looks interesting, too, though I'll probably always have a traditional one.

14. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I looked at Utilikilts a while back, but they're not very woman-friendly. I'l check out the Amerikilt site.

15. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

I am not very good at hiding in a crowd anyway.

16. Discobubba

Discobubba Empty Pockets

Good on ya' Mercop! I looked into AmeriKilts a while back and decided instead for a black Original Utilikilt off their Scratch & Dent list years ago. It was something I lusted for many moons ago when I saw Patrick Norton on the old ZDTV show "The ScreenSavers" wearing one. I was so pleased with it I figured on trying something somewhat more traditional and went with a StillWater NightStalker Standard Kilt & a NightStalker Nylon Sporran. I'm planning on investing in one of their Heavyweight models next.

After this review though I think I might add the Amerikilt to the list of kilts to get. If only I had more $$ :broke:

That's what Kilt Hose are for! While traditionally wool you can find some in poly-wool mixes or even cotton. I encourage every guy to try a kilt at least once. Most everything I've learned about them has been from a forum I've been known to lurk on:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/

17. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

sorry, pipe bands, drum corps, maybe renaissance fairs, and of course costume/fancy dress parties, otherwise
    :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :jester: :crackup: :laugh: :lolhammer: :j

18. Discobubba

Discobubba Empty Pockets

Hey, to each their own. As Mercop said in his review the Amerikilt customer's don't care a whit about what anybody else thinks. I think that goes for most Kilt wearers in general. I've actually been out with friends who have mentioned how I tend to turn heads while kilted and, after some time, I don't even notice. Personally I'd wear mine more if it wasn't for their cost making me not want to wear them out nor being able to afford many more. Otherwise I look forward to any opportunity I can to wear them. Unfortunately my workplace won't allow them, then again I'm not even supposed to wear Cargo Pants.

Frankly I find certain EDC items unnecessary and can't see why people would want to carry them. But that's their choice!

19. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

The more training and experience you have the more you can do with less. No amount of gear can make up for lack of training. With both Modern Combative Systems and The Men's Room Online I find myself making more and more appearances where the kilt would be appreciated.- George

20. Of course my kilt is comfortable but the main attraction is just that.........the attraction. People love the kilt.

My kilt gets more of an airing outside the UK than it does on home shores. The main venue for wear, possibly unsurprisingly, is at the Oktoberfest in Munich. Whilst the locals are all decked out in all thier finery the kilt looks perfectly at home. Worn with a "T" shirt, rugby top or any other casual top and a good pair of army surplus high leg boots - Russ Abbot "C U Jimmy" style.

What is more, the kilt actually looks well on the "bigger man" (for bigger you may read beer bellied).

Wear a kilt and make friends anywhere !!

:cheers: