1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Amazon refunds me by mistake: Should I keep the money?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by davidt1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Leatherman Micra from Amazon recently. Today I receiver an email from them telling me they have refunded me the money. I never returned the thing.

I have made up some excuses for keeping the money such as: $20 is not gonna matter to a big company like Amazon; I might get an employee there fired by contacting them about this.

Would you keep the money or return it?

2. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

I've had this happen with Amazon before and i contacted customer service and pointed out the error which they fixed within a few days. It doesn't matter what they think or if they miss it, it matters that you know and since you've posted about it here you already what the right thing to do is!

3. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

You have to return it. It's the right thing to do. No different than stealing otherwise.

4. mikey

mikey Banned

Yeah, I think you know what the right answer is! Return it!

Remember: Two wrongs dont make a right!

5. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Return it, otherwise it'd be considered stealing.

6. pumbaa

pumbaa Banned

Why is this even a question?

Have we digressed so much, that we have to ask if keeping something that is not ours, right or wrong?

Where is the moral compass of this country?

7. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Maybe it is someone else's refund? Best to return it.

8. bdcheung

bdcheung Loaded Pockets

Return it.

9. Liam91

Liam91 Loaded Pockets

Rule of Acquisition #1 "Once you have their money... never give it back"

10. CamoNinja

CamoNinja Loaded Pockets

Theres almost nothing worse than a thief.

11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Let's play What if? A little role-reversal.

You lose your Maxped Pocket Organizer, filled with EDC goodies. It contains an "If Found" card with your name and phone number. Someone finds it.

How would you feel about them contemplating rationalizations why it's OK not to notify you and keep it? Finders, keepers. He should've been more careful. He can buy new stuff. Maybe his insurance will cover it. Etc. Etc.

You have your answer (which I'm confident you already knew).

$20 is cheap price to pay for the feeling one gets from doing the right thing. It's also too cheap a value to place on one's character.

[Apologies for sounding "preachy."]

12. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

OK returning the money is the consensus here. However, I have trouble equating not returning the money with stealing. I know stealing is a crime punishable by laws. Is not returning extra change a crime punishable by laws?

I read up on this online and it appears that most people would return the extra change given to them by a cashier. What I find interesting is that some people would return the money to some stores and not others. And some people raise some interesting questions as well. I would like to post some of them here and would like to hear some honest answers.

1. Most people wouldn't hesitate to return the money to stores they think are fair such as Amazon. Some people would take the money and leave with a smile if the store is Best Buys. There are also distinctions among mom amd pop store and big chain stores.

Can you honestly say you would return the money to stores you don't like?

2. How many of all you here have opened your car door a little too far and end up scratching the paint of the car next to yours? Did you leave a note? Or did you walk away? If this happens to you in the future, what would you do?

13. nbmaine2007

Wow, I can't believe your thought process. Disturbing.

14. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

What makes you say that? It's fine you call my thought process disturbing. At least answers the questions I posted and discuss what you think is disturbing.

15. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

While it's not stealing by definition, it's obviously wrong. An analogy would be, lets say you went to the market and bought some eggs ($3.49) and milk ($2.09). Say you then give the checker $20 for the purchase. The checked then returns the $20 plus $5.58. Would you tell the checker that they gave you the wrong change? Of course you would.. It was an honest mistake. How about if your friend gives you $20 to get them lunch on the way out.. You forget to get their lunch, wouldn't you return the money apologizing for forgetting? Or would you keep it?

What surprises me is the lack of thinking about how it would feel if it happened to you. There are LOTS of dishonest people in the world, if you choose to be one, that's your choice. I believe in "karma" and I would hope that my good intentions and actions could come back to me some day if I need it.

16. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Return it.

You would not believe how far an act of unnecessary kindness goes. In a plea I did a few days ago my client corrected a clerical error during the plea which meant that he would have had to pay $600 on a fine instead of $300. The prosecutor missed it and the judge missed it as well. It was a very busy courtroom and very complicated fine so it is not like this was a simple mistake. It was complicated to figure out what the fine should be. When he brought it to the judge's attention she was so impressed with his honesty that she imposed an even lower fine. He could have just sat there and kept his mouth shut, but he didn't and he was rewarded. It was a perfect example of what the true meaning of justice is and one small reason why I still have faith in the justice system after working in it for nearly a decade.

Return the money. Whether it is illegal or not is not even the question.

17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

David -

I ask this question out of genuine curiosity, and not to take a "poke" at you.

You've been on the forum three years, and given your post-count, you've had considerable interaction with the community — meaning you have to have some sense of the mind-set of the members (if I may generalize). Against that backdrop, did you expect to receive responses any different than what you're reading?

18. nbmaine2007

How you're looking for any possible justification for stealing. "The store is a big corporation, they won't miss it." or "I don't like how the store has treated me, so I'll keep it." (Why shop at a store you don't like?) Or that you're researching it this hard on the internet. The fact that you've debated it this long gives me very little faith that you'll return it anyway.

19. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

There are situations where I think "free money" is ok. They're pretty much like finding money on the street where no distinct owner is readily available or finding money in the pocket of an article of clothing from a second-hand store. This is more of a situation where you know where the money came from and who to return it to.

20. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

Just return the :censored: money.

Why even ask?