1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one who thinks the XM-18 is an overrated knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by LaCatchatore, Jan 7, 2009.

1. peacefuljeffrey

Well, even though this one is a thumb-stud knife and not a thumb-hole knife, and even though it's what, a liner-lock, I think it's a VERY handsome looking knife.

I have seen someone's picture of the fixed blade version, and I think that one is just gorgeous!

Plus, it looks to me like it would feel very good and solid in the hand. Those finger grooves look to be done just right.

Put an Axis or Compression Lock on it, and swap the thumb stud for a thumb hole, and I'd probably spring for one. I love the blade shape.

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

It is a frame lock. Rick DID make a FEW liner locks, but they are VERY rare.

And some of actually do carry and use our custom knives. That is where I get the most pleasure out of my knives, by using them.

If you don't like the XM-18, don't buy one. There are so many different knives for all of our different tastes. That is one of the things that makes this hobby such fun.

3. coyote

coyote Loaded Pockets

Dizos, i bought mine just to see what the fuss was all about.

what i found was a folder that even heavier-duty than my sebenzas or terzuolas. it's a tank!

...so i guess you aren't the person i should contact to offer mine For Sale?

[img width=640 height=428]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/oregoncoyote/Hinderer-XM-18-Gen-3-pix-A.jpg[/img]

4. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

That orange one is awesome. I can't afford one but if I had the funds I would probably get my hands on one. To each their own.

5. peacefuljeffrey

I see in the pictures that the tip is ground in an unconventional way (looks stronger than a hollow grind that goes all the way forward).

When you sharpen this knife, does the broad expanse of "edge" near the tip actually get ground just as the narrow bevel does? Or is that part not put against the stone?

6. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

You monkey! :lolhammer:

7. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

A good looking well balanced knife from appearances but I personally coudn't justify spending $400 or more on a folder or any other knife for that matter. However, having made a fair number of fixed blades in the past I know how many hours it takes to make one knife, in terms of hourly rate I bet one or twenty of these will never make Rick Hinderer rich, and making a fixed blade is much easier than a folder, there is probably more than twice the work in a folder.
    If hand made is what you want , then you have to pay for it.

8. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

This thread is really really making me want one... :D

I especially love this one shown on Rick's website.

9. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

IIRC from the examples I've seen in person, the edge bevel is consistent for the entire length of the blade so you would sharpen it as normal.

10. coyote

coyote Loaded Pockets

agreed. but if not very careful, when that bump/transition area hits the stone, it does polish it further up the blade, thereby marking the blade up.

11. filedog

filedog Loaded Pockets

A lots already been said on this BUT, if it's in your price range, and floats your boat, go for it.
    I think as EDCers, we are trying to BE PREPARED. If your budget alows you to have all the gear you need, AND that knife, cool.
    I for one, have LOTS of other stuff I need first : )

12. zcout

zcout Empty Pockets

i would almost kill to get my hands on a xm-18, well i did have the chanse a couple of weeks ago, but i went for the "longer desired" Sebenza.
    however, now when i got the sebenza, i NEEED one xm-18!

Ricks knives is rocksolid constructions, the lock bar "lock" is genius!
    don't get me wrong, the sebbie is the sweetest folder i ever held/seen/wanted, but as a knife junkie.. well you know how it is!

SWEET pictures everyone!

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I happen to like lighter knives, so I find myself prefering Spydercos over Sebenzas, Striders, and the like. I think the XM-18 is one of the best looking knives that I have seen.

I could certainly see paying $400 for a knife before I could see paying it for a flashlight. A good knife will easily last a lifetime and I have no doubt that a person would be very hard pressed to wear out an XM-18 in their lifetime.

14. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

I carry and use BOTH of my Gen 2 XM-18s. I EDC the 3" in the city and I EDC the 3-1/2" in the backcountry and doing volunteer work. I actually dragged a quarter of the blade of the bigger one across granite accidentally cutting a piece of rope free. I didn't even wince. The thing is a tool! I'll beat it to hell and then send it back to Rick and he'll send it back looking like a newborn babe. :hug: :D

BTW, I'd rather have one XM-18 than two Sebenzas. Not even close.

I also think the Gen 2 was a STEAL at $375 compared to other prices out there for HANDMADE knives. Now, the standard Gen 3s, with the outsourced blades.... I'm not sure I could bring myself to pay $400 for one. To me, tose are production knives, not customs. But a true custom Gen 3 off Rick's table at a show? Score of the year.

15. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

True that Brother....AND....I'd rather have 1/2 a strider than any sebenza.....

16. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

After months of eyeballing Sebenzas online, I actually went down to Plaza Cutlery one day with the intention of buying one. Boy was I surprised that I didn't like them at all!! Fortunately, my buddy Robb pulled a Strider PT-CC out of his pocket, and I found a knife I truly love!! Too bad Plaza was sold out!!!! Then my buddy Scott hooked me up and I still carry my PT-CC (it's in my pocket right now). :hug:

All right, I'll take half a Strider over a Sebenza, but only if I get the lock side and it's GG. :lolhammer:

17. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear you're still rock'n the PT-CC....I have since bought another regular PT for myself...love the pocket clip action!

Sebenza's are nice knives, please don't get me wrong, but after having one a while, it just doesn't compare to Striders, or my Hinderer for "Hard Use"