1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one who hates jeans?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Black beard, Jan 24, 2015.

1. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I love jeans, the levi kind.

My gear fits in 1 pocket if needed, I hate carrying stuff.

Bout the only time I wear cargo shorts is when I go hiking on a warm day. And my cargo pockets are usually empty haha

Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  2. Ralys

Ralys Loaded Pockets

I take a fairly different stance on clothing, and all that follows, from most of the EDC community.

I have some cargo pants, and I even have various tac pants (Blackhawk Warrior Wear, 5.11 taclite, etc) but I don't consider any of those things appropriate for anything other than work. That is to say, cargo pants, carpenter jeans, etc are good for what they were made for: manual labor. Tac pants are good for 'tactical usage', or training purposes.

But for everyday wear if I leave the house, I only wear decently fitted jeans, slacks, chinos, cords, etc. Same goes for shirts; I don't wear graphic t shirts or hoodies for anything but beater clothes, like for the gym.

Again, I know that my opinion on this is very different from most EDCers, but I don't think that wear cargo pants and a t shirt is appropriate for wear, even casual wear.

I carry a fair amount of crap on me every day (knife, light, gun, extra mag, pen, phone, wallet, watch, pocket organizer) but I can fit all of it into a pair of cords or dress slacks with no issues.

3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'm with you Ralys, except in the summer.

Normal casual/informal slacks don't breathe and feel gross after a couple hours.

So, I wear backpacker pants. I hate the way they look, but I don't have to change 3x a day to feel clean. The extra pockets are a bonus.

I look forward to the first day I can go back to jeans and my Barbour. If I could work my will on the weather, I'd never wear anything else unless I needed/wanted to wear a suit.

4. Ralys

Ralys Loaded Pockets

I have actually been protesting summer heat for the past few days, wearing cords with a dress shirt and a v neck sweater.

Summer is terrible unless I'm at the beach. I do have several pairs of shorts that I wear with a polo or v neck t and boat shoes, but it just is not the same.

Cobra 6 Actual, ran23 and Brtsmpsn like this.
  5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Yeah...I hear that.

I really don't understand how one protests heat. But, I don't deal well with it at all.

Cobra 6 Actual, Ralys and Brtsmpsn like this.
  6. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

3 times as much, yeah right ... a pair of 501's is over a $100 if you got to an outlet over hear (UK) that is about as far as I'm willing to go on a pair of Jeans !

7. Ben Rubinstein

I'm in. We could start a new thread called 'Sporran EDC'.

8. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

Jimminey Cricket, I thought Levis were expensive. Just checked out APC denim, if it's the same one, $200 jeans are a bit excessive IMHO.

Brtsmpsn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

They're like $160 over here. Raw denim 501s are like $60, and the APCs definitely last 3x as long.

10. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

That doesn the seem as bad, just initial sticker shock.

Then again I usually go for Dickies work jeans or Levis. Been wanting to try Carhartts but am waiting for a few more pairs too much retire.

11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Yeah.

It is. But, it's really nice denim. They take a while to break in, and it's hard to find the right balance for washing vs wearing (washing them every time you wear them will ruin them very quickly).

I tend to buy a new pair every few years, and they tend to be the only casual pants I wear until summer comes back. First wash is after like 2-3 months and then once every few weeks...with them spending a night in the freezer if they start to smell of if I get grossed out (freezers are cold enough to kill anything that would be a problem).

The weak point for me is the sewing on the crotch, but I tend to just patch them. Even with that, they'll last me a couple years before they're to ragged to wear. Levi's tend to last more like one winter. Sevens are the only other jeans I've bought halfway recently, and they won't make it a full winter.

12. smokingfish

They have really nice slacks now, I have a few for work, I work in a restaurant, so it's hot in the kitchen.

These slacks allow air to pass through, I can feel breeze quite easily. Walking into a walk in freezer sucks!!

13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Who does?

14. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I don't mind jeans. I wear them for casual outings and stuff. I have cargo shorts and have no problem wearing them as well. I know some guys seem to think if you're above ... 24 you don't need to wear shorts.. ever, but screw that. It gets hot in the summer and I'll wear shorts. I'll also wear my kilt. It gets bloody cold here in the winter and that's when the jeans and tac pants come out. Cargo pants are fine too. *shrugs* I wear what I need for the day, or the weather.

I'll say one thing though, I'm not paying $200 for jeans. lol Forget that.

15. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

As far as EDC goes, jeans would be an upgrade for me. I wear dress pants during the week. Thats the job.

...but I have my work arounds. :D

ran23, Brtsmpsn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. smokingfish

I'll let you know when I get home tonight, wearing my jeans today.

I got the slacks from kohls. They have decent stuff for cheap (if you have their credit crd).

17. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Another jean fan here. If I'm not at work I'm in a pair of 501's ninety five percent of the time I'm wearing pants ;). What strikes me as odd is that I have huge thighs as well and I've never had a problem unless I was in slim fit jeans. I wear 5.11's at work so I'm very familiar with the other side of the spectrum, and I do love the 5.11's other than the actual cargo pockets, they are bloody awful and as a result are almost always empty. You would be surprised how bad it hurts to jam the sharp points of a pack of cigarettes into the backside of your knees. :p

I like jeans because they are comfortable for me, just snug enough but not tight or restricting, you know they're there. They are tough are pretty hard to get dirty, and apparently I look :censored: good in them ;) On the subject of pocket room, I have never looked at a pile of stuff and said, "I need :censored: all of this in my :censored: pockets!" Thats what our precious edc bags are for! The only things that go in mine are phone, keys, smokes, lighter, wallet, and knife.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  18. UCChris

UCChris Loaded Pockets

Wrangler cargo shorts in the summer, Wrangler cargo pants in the winter.

'Nuff said.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  19. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I don't mind jeans but I prefer loose fitting chinos, cargo pants and in the summer I live in cargo shorts. I am a big fan of Eddie Bauer stuff. I only buy their jeans (the relaxed fit) and their legend wash chinos, I also like the fact that they have odd waist sizes like 33, 35, etc. For cargo shorts I really like the ones from Hollister.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  20. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

try Golf Slacks - if you can stand the slightly odd cut, many of them are available in nice moisture wicking material like your backpacking pants
    (personally i prefer the backpacking pants, Kuhl Renegade and Outdoor Research Ferrosi are my favourites, and i have had no issues with them at work (except for the days when i really need to be in a suit for red carpet stuff)

Brtsmpsn likes this.