1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Am I Just Weird?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by littlequick, Mar 4, 2013.

?

How do you wear yours?

1. Face up, or die.

62.8%
  2. Face down ftw!

9.3%
  3. I like Polls

25.6%
  4. Any other way?

2.3%
  1. WsRub04
    • In Omnia Paratus

WsRub04 Loaded Pockets

I just started wearing mine facing inside. Seems a lot more natural to glance at it with a turn of the wrist vs. cranking my arm up and flipping my wrist over. Before, my watch always seemed to be on the far side of my arm. Was constantly twisting it back to center. I've been wearing a SNK805 and really like it so far.

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

:rofl:

Ugly and groovster like this.
  3. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

in the gym I wear it face down and some other times I do it all depends on the watch and what I am doing at the given time.

4. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

To each their own, but I think I'd bang/scratch a lot of watches that way.

5. generationlost

generationlost Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    IMG_20131009_201502 by edclee123, on Flickr

Well, the upside is that the face will never get scratched...

RockMonkey, Fukurai, snowkiwi and 2 others like this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

You forgot to draw hands on it with a black sharpie:D

Fukurai, snowkiwi and generationlost like this.
  7. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I was sitting in an airport in Texas once and a bunch of Army kids came through (yeah, I'm not that old, but they really looked like kids to me) and every one of them was wearing a G-Shock or Timex face down on his left wrist. I could kind of see how it would be handy while holding a pistol or rifle, but then I thought that if you're actively aiming a rifle, you probably don't need to know what time it is right that second.

Fukurai likes this.
  8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I always found it more natural wearing it face out, but at the same time how much of that is just tradition and being used to it I don't know. Certainly I know i like having it out of the way when carrying things in my arms, or when walking with my hands at my side it means it won't be constantly brushing against my body.

There are times though when it does make sense to flip it over, working in certain areas where having it face out might risk catching it on something more easily or when it seems more vulnerable. At that point I can flip it round to the inside of my wrist, and just rotate it back when appropriate.

As for weird, there is far worse you could be doing, I personally think it far weirder not to be wearing a watch at all ;)

9. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

Your post (query) reminds me of an old joke about two stewardesses, a guy, and a self winding watch. If I say more I would have the village elders down on me but google may satisfy the curious.

Strange thought of the week:: Never put a sock in a toaster. Don’t ask..

Fukurai likes this.
  10. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Piece of trivia: "stewardesses" is the longest word that can be (properly) typed with one hand.

Fukurai likes this.
  11. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wear mine on the back of my wrist with the crown towards my elbow

jeepsrjason likes this.
  12. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to, but the crystal seemed to take more hits when I wore it face down.

snowkiwi likes this.
  13. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Hah!. I feel your pain brother. Ive got the same big-hunk-of-steel-on-my-wrist 1st world problem too:) and with its "flop" I have taken out my fair share of door frames and wall corners with it! :). The bezel is ripped up from reaching into too many cray-holes but luckily the crystal is still perfect after 28 years.
    But Ive tried wearing it face down and it just clangs on the table all the time instead. Im used to it face up now and have a permanent skin deformation of hardened skin where the bezel slams into my hand/wrist area.

Fukurai likes this.
  14. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I strap mine around my thigh, so...yeah.

Fukurai and SAKplumber like this.
  15. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I resemble that remark. After my last G-Shock died, I haven't been able to find one I liked. I don't recall the model, but it was shiny like steel with a blue band. Anyhow, any watch I find is either something I don't like or not in my price range. I've been looking at a Casio Pathfinder PAG240T-7, but I haven't talked myself into spending $160 on a watch after not wearing one for over 5 years. Anyhow, once I buy one, face up. I've never been comfortable with any watch face down.

16. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just tried it. You're right, no need for checking the time while aiming, but normally you have both hands on your rifle. Then it makes sense to wear the watch face down, because you twist your left arm and then the watch will always face you. You can just try it, wear the watch face down and imagine holding a rifle. You get the idea.

EDIT: Wanted to add, you don't need to take off your hand from your rifle while checking time. And in case you have to aim and check time at the same time, you can do this with ease. If you're only a computer warrior, up side down might be not that good since you have to get your hand off the keyboard to check your wrist ;)