1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Am I getting older?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by faca, Apr 5, 2007.

1. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

hi my point here is.
    I like perfect finish in my gadgets like knives etc, but I´m becoming happier and happier with my handmade vintage looking rougth finnished kinves:
    handforged with no polish finnish
    carbon steel with patina
    simple and old desing like my DOUK DOUK
    leather shealth
    oh my God actually I see the beautiful of engraved knives.........

Yes I think I´m becoming older and I like my gadgets looks the same :help:

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

faca,

Like your favorite knives and tools, it sounds as if you're building character! ;D

You don't have to be old to appreciate a finish that says "well-used and well-cared-for!"

3. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

That´s right chararter this is what I´m lookig for always even in my loved half :winkwink:

4. P97DC

P97DC Empty Pockets

I like the personal touch of engraving. My carry knife and gun, are both custom engraved one of a kind, and the knife is hand made. I have enjoyed them both for years. They have been well worth the extra cost in my personal enjoyment over the years.

5. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Sounds like you tastes is getting more refined. That's the sad thing about being a collector.
    For example for me. I would buy all kinds of knives when I first started collecting. Everything had something of interest, and I had to have it. Now, I only own a few knives. They really have to be special, and superbly well made.

6. cerbie

cerbie Loaded Pockets

Not being into knives in the least, my best example is this one, putting out some Alice in Chains right now. I could get more goodies and better aesthetics (oh, and a decent-sized knob) for what it cost, but I wouldn't trade that for the world now (well, maybe for a Supermini-IV :broke:). It takes nasty angled pulls on the jacks, many falls to hardwood, concrete and brick, and even a couple spills that got into it, better than any piece of electronics I've ever had, and better than many things that were supposed to be real tools.

It can be a difficult quality to pin down, and can take the guise of beautiful detail work, or rough but plain good materials and KISS, with some TLC thrown in, but that craftsmanship in the design and manufacture make a difference, both in use and aesthetic appreciation. It's not a matter of getting older (I hope not, anyway--I'm only 24!). If you actually use what you buy, the non-distracting aspects start really making statements for themselves. There's just something awesome about a tool or neat gadget that's scratched up, stained, chipped, and generally abused, sometimes for decades, still working as good as new (if not better), that'll put that cool FotM gizmo to shame.

Likewise, to use a tool where it becomes obvious that someone was able to design and build it right, rather than being given a production cost envelope or tight R&D schedule just to push something out (which is all too common in just about everything now), or even to be pressured into a less-than-ideal design for marketing that doesn't stand up in real use.

In fact, if that desire for real quality and character weren't there, I have a feeling Arc Flashlight and Atwood Knife and Tool, among others, would be no more than relics popping up in B/S/T on occasion.

I use Arc due to its history, having faced that fate once, but being able to come back because only one other company (Peak) was willing to even attempt to make a similar-quality replacement for Arc's flagship part. Atwood because everything he makes has far cheaper competition.

7. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

Totally agree. You're getting a style and feel that you like from your edc stuff, that's cool! :cool: