1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Am I crazy? (defending pets)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by moostapha, Aug 19, 2015.

1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

You missed the point about anti-gunners and gun-ignorant people not understanding carry body language.

ManVsLawn and kertap75 like this.
  2. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I can legally shoot an animal that poses a reasonable threat to me or others. This is the law, told to me by animal control and local police.

With that said, would I shoot an animal? :censored: right I would.

But only under certain circumstances. Chances are with a dog it's got an owner, shooting it will undoubtedly cause problems, so it would have to be a dire situation.

But with kids, I probably wouldn't take a chance. Once it's latched on I'd have no qualms taking a shot if possible.

3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Not would I in that situation.

If it were a choice between even MY dog and an innocent person I'd shoot my dog.

Between an innocent dog and a person attacking him/her is where the difference is.

But, apparently I'm the only one who would even consider sitting the human.

Whatever. I'm going to go cuddle with my puppy for even thinking about such a situation.

Water-Rat likes this.
  4. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I think something is getting lost here, perhaps it's the electronic communication. There is huge difference between a cable repairman legally on your property being charged by an aggressive looking dog and a hoodlum intent on hurting your little pooch. It comes down to common sense imo. If you have an aggressive dog, it should be in a fenced in yard if you want to reduce your liability. It is also about responsible ownership.
    Your dog loose in your open front lawn, might seem cool to some because ........heck he is in my property! Seeing that dog loose is very intimidating to some folks and animals are unpredictable just like people. One day something or someone can flip the switch.

Water-Rat, Monocrom and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. Lollolo

Lollolo Loaded Pockets

Yes but Only with a license. And it's vere difficult to obtain

Inviato dal mio SM-G360F utilizzando Tapatalk

6. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

The hypothetical in the OP, the person being attacked/rushed/charged by your dog was innocent. Can't that person defend him or herself against your dog and still be innocent?

Shike and ManVsLawn like this.
  7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

If someone shot my brother for shooting a dog (in possible self defense).....I would shoot that guy and then his cousin would shoot me... big ole mess.

8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

If the dog was attacking, yes. If the dog was playing, no.

ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. T.H.Cone

In all fairness, how, exactly, would a stranger know the difference?

Again, your dog should not be running up to anyone. Period. It should not being jumping up and licking a stranger's face. It should not be nudging his nose in places it doesn't belong and that make me reach for my No-No whistle. No offense, but by allowing that behavior, you are not, in my opinion, being a responsible dog owner.

I don't know where you live, but in many states, stray/strange dogs are assumed wild and are dispatched.

jag-engr, Water-Rat and Shike like this.
  10. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Second that.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

By keeping his eyes open and being around a dog ever.

Again, it is not my intention to allow such behavior without invitation. But, training is not a light switch.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  12. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I never trust any dog I don't know no matter what size, you never know for sure what they might do.

Water-Rat, Shike and kertap75 like this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

How often is it violent, though? Compared to excited?

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

And therein lies the problem.

If you are dealing with a person who has never owned a dog, especially one that is larger than a socialite's designer purse, that person could easily mistake playing.... for a dog being aggressive and wanting to do harm. A big dog running on someone.... That person doesn't know if the dog just wants to play or tear out a chunk of his flesh.

Shike, T.H.Cone and jag-engr like this.
  15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry but you're missing the point. How is an innocent stranger on your property supposed to know the difference? And going by statistics is hardly any comfort to those who mistook an aggressive dog for a playful one because they assumed the owner would be responsible enough not to let his aggressive dog run free on the property.

I'm cross dominant. Only effects 20% of the population of the world. It effects me. 80% of everyone around me don't have to deal with it. Great for them. Sucks for me. I'd rather be cross dominant than be in the minority of folks who got the aggressive dog encounter instead of the playful one.

Shike, T.H.Cone and jag-engr like this.
  16. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I don't think you're crazy for considering it or for wanting to do it, but I can't really figure out a moral justification for doing so (using deadly force, that is). I don't think anybody deserves the death penalty for destruction of property (not trying to equate a dog to "property", but I think you know what I mean; I have two dogs of my own, BTW). I suppose if someone was maliciously shooting my dog I would confront them and only engage if they threatened me or another person with the gun. Humans are humans, animals are animals, no matter how beloved.

17. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

So, does your answer apply to non-lethal defense as well? I have in the past pushed or gently kicked dogs for getting too close/friendly. I don't want your dog to hump my leg, please excuse me while I kick him in the belly just enough so he gets the message. I don't want your dog to jump on me, please excuse me while I side step and shove his face/paws out of my way. I don't mean to be aggressive or rude here, I'm just saying friendly dogs are dangerous too. Not that I would shoot one even if I carried a gun.

Shike and T.H.Cone like this.
  18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My best friend's dad got a couple of dogs after Max passed away. They were VERY friendly and very undisciplined. I don't blame them. I blame him for not training them properly to at the very least not jump on top of invited guests who walk in the door.

Yeah.... I haven't returned to his house in several years.

Shike and T.H.Cone like this.
  19. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That, I would call a good, measured response. I'd probably thank you for it because they're not supposed to do that unless invited.

Water-Rat likes this.
  20. T.H.Cone

Not everyone grows up around dogs. You presume too much in this regard.
    Again, you're asking a stranger to make a snap judgement about a dog's disposition. What you are asking of them is to know the unknowable.
    Was this question directed at me?

I have no issue whatsoever with someone using proportional force when dealing with an undisciplined animal, mine or someone else's. But here's the thing, even if you were too scared, polite, or pacifistic to deal with my dog exhibiting rude or rough behavior I would deal with straight away myself. If I even get a hint any of my chattel is even dreaming about doing anything I don't want them to do, I proactively discipline them.

This is one reason people complement my wife and I on how well our boys behave. And, yes, I consider them chattel too.
    It goes without saying that most people who are good with animals will be measured in how they deal with them. That said, if you have an undisciplined animal, especially one that has some size to it, you have to expect that your apathetic inability to manage the animal has the potential to put an innocent person, the animal, and you all at risk. The only person that can prevent that is you. You're supposed to be the dog's master.