1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Am I crazy? (defending pets)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by moostapha, Aug 19, 2015.

1. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

And another. MY dog > most humans

madlag likes this.
  2. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Hanging around the wrong humans.

ManVsLawn, mole and kertap75 like this.
  3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Just add another factor in the mix - if a farmer thinks your dog is worrying his livestock he can shoot your dog no questions asked, and that's in the gun-averse UK, no idea where you'd stand in the states.

ManVsLawn and kertap75 like this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

At my core, I just want them to be safe.

[​IMG]

Dorian, vegassprky, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  5. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

my dog would not run to strangers, until i tell him to do so. thats what dog schools are for.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Beautifully stated, Ben.

You weren't on your property and you should have restrained your dog. I'm not saying that the other person was justified in making a threat, but if I were at a hotel and a dog were barking, I would be annoyed.

The morality (or lack thereof) in that statement is appalling.

CSM-101, vegassprky, T.H.Cone and 4 others like this.
  7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Well stated from an obvious animal lover.

Dorian, vegassprky, T.H.Cone and 3 others like this.
  8. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

I am no expert on self defense with a firearm, but from what I understand, if you are within about 15-20 feet of someone, even if they have a weapon drawn, you can generally tackle them before they can get a bead on you. That is just what I have heard and I don't have any source whatsoever so I could be totally off on that. (If I am wrong, feel free to correct me and direct me to some sources. I need to read up on that kind of thing anyway.)

That being said, my train of thought here is that assuming the delivery guy is carrying concealed, he would have to drop what he was carrying and draw from concealment in a very short period of time. I don't know any statistics on this, but I believe the average distance of a suburban home is probably about 50-60 ft from the road and when a dog is excited they can go pretty fast. I am betting on the dog having the upper hand here, but hopefully it being friendly the guy would see that before he could draw and fire.

Anyway, that's not what you asked about, it was more covering ethics of shooting to protect your dog.

In the case of a forced entry, I would not have any issue doing that to protect what I guess you could call "Property". But in the case of something like a delivery person defending themselves, I am not so sure. I don't think I could justify putting an animal's life above a human's life unless it was a case of something like animal cruelty, which this isn't. I guess I would see it as my responsibility to make sure that my things don't harm others. If I own a firearm, it is my responsibility to make sure it is used in a safe manner so that others aren't injured. Granted that dogs and guns are not the same thing, but I still see the dog as my responsibility and if someone feels threatened because of a lack of care on my part, that falls on me.

There are exceptions though. If someone is provoking the dog, I am going to see things a little bit differently. There are also those kinds of people out there that get offended because you "looked at them in a racist/creeper/happy/who knows what else" kind of way. We could do with a few less of those people, but to each his own.

This post ended up longer than I expected, but that is my thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: Went back and read OP again. Saw that the hypothetical situation also included neighbors. I guess in that case I would also say that fell under the personal responsibility thing I said earlier. Meh, I'll just leave my post like it was. :p

Shike, ManVsLawn and jag-engr like this.
  9. madlag

madlag Banned

It's the same in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegassprky and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. madlag

madlag Banned

And wth can a postman even carry a gun? Lol

What's far more likely to happen is your dog bites him and he sues you. I'd rather take a non-lethal bullet wound than get sued. It won't last as long and makes for a better story. Plus if you've taken a bullet you get to carry an extra man card...

PapaRoush, moostapha and ManVsLawn like this.
  11. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I want my card darn it! ;)[​IMG]

12. Ralys

Ralys Loaded Pockets

If UPS/USPS/FEDEX etc is delivering a package to you, and your dog is not contained somewhere, I think that's your first mistake.

I was actually talking to my UPS delivery guy a few months ago about this, because had actually killed someone's dog while he was delivering a package.

If anything is running towards me, I'm going to be concerned. With humans, it's easy enough to shout at them to stop, or something similar. But with an animal...? How is the delivery guy supposed to know if the dog is dangerous or not? And then you would shoot and kill the delivery guy because he was protecting himself against your dog?

Keep the dogs penned/chained/in the house if you're having something delivered.

vegassprky, Schnurri and Shike like this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I had a personal policy of just not liking any post itt. But, that was too funny.

I think I've come around a bit to agree with the group. But, I guess that the best way to state my original thought is that I saw it as a cruelty to animals situation. I couldn't think of an excuse that didn't involve hatred. I guess that's just not the case.

Shike and madlag like this.
  14. madlag

madlag Banned

Lol glad I stirred some laughter

I think it's completely natural to want to defend something you love, your property etc...if you think deeply enough about it, both parties would have legitimate complaints in the scenario. So, let's hope it never happens

Btw what is "itt"?

15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Yeah...the idea was that an attacker could close distance and deliver a stab would before someone could draw and fire as long as the distance was less than 21 feet.

Mythbusters did it and confirmed it. I've seen other videos that seem to support it.

I'm still not sure I buy it for a variety of reasons. I really want to get an airsoft gun and actually try it out with a friend. But, it's also beside the point. Plus...in the original post, the dog was saying hi energetically and rudely, not attacking. The theoretical delivery guy would have all the time in the world as far as the dog is concerned. If I shot, he would only have to outdraw me...with me at a serious disadvantage.

Shike and kertap75 like this.
  16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Itt = in this thread

Water-Rat and madlag like this.
  17. madlag

madlag Banned

Ahh many thanks

18. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd be more concerned with this hypothetical person drawing and shooting their gun in your home or residential area based on what a dog may or may not do. If it was your yard or inside your home, you (and maybe others) could be near or behind the dog being shot at.

No?

19. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Most people attribute noble qualities to their pets, even if their pets are aggressive and bite. Probably the most common thing said after a dog bite incident is, "I can't believe he did that!"

I was once surveying and a pitbull broke loose the coat hanger link in the log chain with which he was tied and came after my brother. The owner didn't think it was a big deal and took forever to come and get the dog, but we were about to kill if it lunged. It was foaming at the mouth and was going to attack.

Some people have very legitimate reasons for a fear or mistrust of dogs.

vegassprky, T.H.Cone and Shike like this.
  20. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

21 feet, yes sir, and you better be pretty fast and accurate to pull that off. Never mind the fact that you need to not only shoot, but "stop" the aggressor. A dying guy with a sharp blade on top of you, can still do plenty of damage.

vegassprky likes this.