1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

AM/FM Radio - need some helping finding a good one

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by SoldMyHat, Aug 8, 2014.

1. SoldMyHat

SoldMyHat Loaded Pockets

hahaha. That's not the first time you have cracked me up tonight. I was laughing at some other stuff you posted earlier as well. lol

kd7dvd likes this.
  2. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

No no, you don't need to open the radio up or anything drastic like that! Like kd7dvd said, just attach a length of speaker wire to the antenna somehow. I like putting an alligator clip on the end, to ensure a good connection to the antenna. You don't even need to solder the clip, just crimp the bare wire to the clip. I've even just wrapped speaker wire around an antenna, after stripping inch of the cover of, still works. I have done this soooo many times, both indoor and outdoor. I have 3 wires setup currently around the house and always use one when camping. Pm me if you want, I can probably send you one if you're in the U.S..

SoldMyHat, powerring and kd7dvd like this.
  3. Dempsey

Dempsey Loaded Pockets

That's awesome kd7dvd

4. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

More thoughts on the Sangean DT-400w. It receives all 7 NOAA weather channels quite well. As always proximity to any weather station will give one the strongest reception. The AM band on the DT-400w is better than most small radios can bring in distant AM stations at night, and weak stationd during the day.

The radio my wife and I use in our emergency evac packs is the CC Observer Solar Radio. The CC radio is much bigger than the Sangean. Like the Sangean the CC radio has excellent weather channel reception along with AM. FM is availalbe but most here do not listen to FM for news/weather.

The CC radio will run for at least 20-30 minutes after about 2 minutes cranking the dynamo. That feature alone makes the CC a valuable means of finding out what's going on in a real emergency.

SoldMyHat and powerring like this.
  5. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I use an Eton Mini, which I believe is by Grundig. it's AM/FM/SW. FM reception is great, not sure about AM because I don't use it, but they're good radios.

This is mine, but there's a more recent version now (Eton Mini M400 I think).

[​IMG]

powerring likes this.
  6. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

I keep an Eton FRX-2 in my bag it does AM/FM/NOAA, has a light, can charge a cell phone and has a crank, USB and solar charger.

[​IMG]

powerring likes this.
  7. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

Day-400w here to. Awesome radio.

8. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Looked online and found this model is out of production.

9. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's too bad. I really like the detail on the display "DIGITAL FREQUENCY/TIME INDICATOR". I was wondering what that was for... :D

Sangean, Eton, Grundig are all fine brands in this class. Midland makes some excellent weatherband receivers with AC/DC power and SAME alert capability. Often they will also include commercial AM/FM capability (but not SW).

For years I've had a Radio Shack DX-440, which is a rebranded Sangean 803A (I think). Sadly long out of production. It's not quite pocketable (it eats 6xD + 2xAA cells!) but is sensitive and sounds great. It even has a BFO circuit so you can listen to stations using sideband. IMHO, one should have a pocket radio for bugging out, and a nice tabletop unit for shelter-in-place. Heck, in between disasters you can use it to listen to your favorite morning yakyak while eating your corn flakes. (mmm, corn flakes...brb...)

w2edv likes this.
  10. Arjosy

Arjosy Loaded Pockets

I have the Grundig branded version. Great little radio and gets weather stations too. Also, it's works in stereo with headphones, which is pretty cool.

dml24 likes this.
  11. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I gave the new (or newer) model number though :oops: (Eton Mini M400)

dml24 likes this.
  12. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The mins M400 is okay, but a read of opinions at Amazon gave the impression there are better radios at that price point, mentioned were Sangean raidios and the Kaito KA11.

Subjective yes. However any radio is better than nothing in an emergency or power outage event. A better radio like the Sangean DT400 or 200, the Kaito KA210 to name few offer weather channels and the KA210, SW options, for not more than the M400, which appears as the Grundig M400.

A little internet research can find one a useful radio or two for home and emergency EDC.
    My wife and I have a C Crane Solar observer in our emergency packs, and I carry a Sangean DT400 in my EDC pack.

13. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I researched the DX-440 and it appears to be identical to the Sangean 803A, Eham.net had good reviews from many still using the DX-440!
    I found that Ebay, ( can I mention Ebay on the forums?), have some Radio Shack DX-400s! Similar to the DX-440, and again many pleased users.

Between flashlights and portable radios I could ruin my budget for many years!

kd7dvd likes this.
  14. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I didn't re-read to see who mentioned it but thank you to those who recommended the Sangean DT-400W, this thing is great.
    I really like that it comes with an antenna that plugs into the headphone port. (All little radios like this use the headphone wire as the antenna, if you plan to use the built in speaker and not the headphones your reception will suffer. This wire takes care of that.)
    I've been using it about an hour a day for 3 work weeks (15 days) and the battery indicator hasn't dropped a bar yet (new eneloops).

15. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Used to? Ah man, ya gone an went corporate! (or stealthy)

16. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Aw, the best way to not get fired again is to not get unfired...

powerring likes this.
  17. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I've been using a Sangean DT 400 W for two years as my EDC radio. It rarely needs Batteries and has great reception for such a small radio. The ability to receive weather channels is a plus.

keith1234 and Shur like this.
  18. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a Sony ICF-S10MK2 on Amazon, good price takes 2 AA pretty good reception on it too.

[​IMG]001 by edclightman, on Flickr

TomWelch and ran23 like this.
  19. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have 2 portable radios a kaito ka210 am/fm/weather

And a grundig mini 400 am/fm/shortwave

I bought the grundig because of it's size and having a speaker, most bike paths have no earphones rules (yea I know no one else follows the rules) and I like to listen to the Reds while out riding. Plus I got it on clearance for 60% off . I bought the kaito to have the weather bands. I stay away from eton brand because I was gifted a eton Red cross am/fm/weather radio/flashlight that was junk
    Roy

20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I like the Grundig Mini 400 too.

For whatever it's worth, in the U.S., the Grundig brand is licensed to Eton and the radios are manufactured by them. The old German Grundig was acquired by a Turkish firm some years ago.