1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Always carry a light

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by thematthewknot, Sep 25, 2010.

1. thematthewknot

thematthewknot Loaded Pockets

So last night my sister's car would not start when she was at work and so called my dad and i to go look at it and/or pick her up. This was at 11:10, we live about 20miles from where she works. So me and my dad head over there in his truck a dodge 2500 with him driving. The route there is mainly back country roads with little traffic at 11pm on a friday night. About 5mins in to the drive were doing the speed limit of 45mph on a pretty narrow country road and there is an on coming car with high-beams on not much you can do about that apart from stay in your lane give the other guy is kinda blinding you(my dad flashed his high beams once but the guy kept his on).
    What we didn't see was walking with traffic on the right side of the road in the lane(i.e. left of the white line) was a lady wearing dark cloths. So right as we pass the other car we end up hitting this lady in our lane with the passengers side mirror. As soon as we hit her we slammed on the breaks, we were just passing a side road so quickly backed up in to the side road. We then went over to her, i called 911 as my dad was w/ the lady who was sitting up by the time we got there. At this point we are in the right hand lane on the side, after giving info to 911 we were waiting for emt/fire/leo to show up and then had cars coming down the road. I had in my pocket my SF G2ZL as i always do and so i had that out and shinning down the road towards the on coming cars to ensure that we didnt get hit not wanting to move the lady in case of broken bones. The first car that came down the road noticed the light right away and slowed down and passed on the left side slowly. However another car came not paying attention or speeding or both, either way didn't notice the bright light flashing towards them in their lane untill they were 40ft away. At which point they slammed on the brakes/swerved in to the other lane and even then passed us doing at least 30, but i guess thats still better then them hitting us.
    To make a long story shorter the fire/emt's and leo's showed up about 10min after the accident happened, they look at the lady she refused treatment and seamed to be alright, the mirror she was one of the bending ones so it probably absorbed alot of the impact. The lady said how she had been drinking and then on her drive home(drunk) she ran out of gas and thats why she was walking on the road. The trooper said how because she was on the side of the road there would not be charges which we kinda figured. The trooper did say with how inebriated she was if the accident happened and she was in the center of the road and still was ok he would have arrested her. So although it sucks we have to buy a new mirror were much more relieved that she was alright, although i cant imagine the bruised shoulder she will have waking up today.

Anyhow my big take away from the event: Carry a flashlight. If i didnt have my SF on me there is little doubt in my mind that the speeding car would have more then likely hit that lady again and me/my dad with her.

[​IMG]

2. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

Sounds like everyone involved is very lucky.

3. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

If she had been using a flashlight, you would have probably seen her, and there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place! Yes, flashlights can be lifesavers, both literally and figuratively.

4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Everyone was lucky... God looks after the drunk, the retarded and the terminally stupid. She seems to be a category 1.

BTW Did you turn on your flashers?

5. thematthewknot

thematthewknot Loaded Pockets

yes everyone involved was very lucky no doubt, and yes we had our 4ways on when we got out

6. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

I glad everyone is okay! That's quite an evening.

It takes a lot to get many drivers' attention at night, for a multitude of reasons. - Even in the city where I live, with street lights illuminating most places. I've been considering relegating some of my older lights w/ strobe to the trunk for emergencies such as this.

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Matthew: I was involved in a similar experience where my vehicle struck a drunk pedestrian in the roadway at night. While it sounds like the police treated you well, this will not stop the drunk from suing. In my case the trial was over four years later and my insurance company lawyer won. Let's hope that you aren't sued.

As far as carrying a flashlight is concerned, you are right on the money.

8. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

The jacked up part of the American Legal System:

If OP had not stopped to help, OP could not be sued.

OP should win a suit against pedestrian for the cost of repairs to the mirror, but would likely lose.

It was majorly the pedestrian at fault, but the pedestrian will be seen as a victim.

9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

If he hadn't stopped, that's hit and run. I'd much rather be sued than risk that.

In my case, I could have sued for my busted windshield and won, but I chose not to.

10. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

My statement was definately not intended to mean that OP should not have stopped; instead, that I think the legal system should do more to protect those who do what's right, and less to help those that were at fault in the 'wrong doing against them'.

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

You could have sued for that . . . And you could have sued for emotional trauma. The drunk's reckless act of stepping in front of your vehicle caused you to begin suffering nightmares and stress.

Sound silly? Remember the woman who sued because her hot cup of coffee was . . . hot. (She won her case.)

If some joke of a human being sees you as a lottery ticket, and the legal system as his 7/11; then give that low-life a good :censored: reason to bury his face at the bottom of a bottle. Sue him right back! Let him go through the stress and B.S. that he planned on putting you through.

12. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

13. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Monocrom; 09-28-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Boy Surefire got offended.???????

In regards the thread, I am glad that you guys are ok, and that nobody was killed.

14. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

Monocrom used a racial slur, and it was edited out. Obviously taking it well.

15. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Actually, no; not okay.

There was no racial slur. It is unfortunate that some individuals on these boards can't tell the difference between actual racism versus an example used to better illustrate a point.

I've been here over a year. I've been on CPF over 4 years. Quite a few EDCF members have accounts on CPF. And that includes Boy Surfire as well. He's seen the type of posts I've made on both forums. And We've communicated via the PM system on both forums. He knows full well I'm not a racist.

And I'm not about to put up with some individual hiding behind the safety of his computer screen through the vastness of the internet, calling me a racist. If Hebily has the stones to say it to my face, I'd be happy to provide him with my real name and address. He can bring his sorry self to NYC and say it to my face, like a man. Or, he can hide behind his computer screen, post "LOL", and try to play it off as something that doesn't bother him or as a joke in which my response amuses him. I've seen that quite a few times in real life. Guy gets put on the spot, laughs it off, tries to make the other guy seem foolish or silly for taking it seriously. And that usually works . . . Unless the other guy is aware of that cheap trick, and points it out to everyone.

I've done that in real life too.

17. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I don't know what was said previously, but now that it's been cleared up, if anyone wants to argue or fight about it any further, please take it to PM. Let's keep this thread on topic, ladies and gentlemen.

-Valolammas
    :baa:

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've cooled down a bit. You are right. And out of respect for you, I'll leave this thread since I believe I've made all the on-topic points I wanted to raise. In all honesty, I've never put up with racism when it was directed towards me, and certainly not when accussed of it. Once again, my apologies for my particular off-topic contributions to this thread.

19. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

edit: off topic, not constructive

20. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I just wanted to chime in, and agree with the sentiment of always carrying a light. I've had many experiences through the years, that have proven to me, that having a handy light in your pocket is always a good idea...even (and maybe especially) when you don't expect to need one. In everyday situations I've even found that I probably use the light more during the daytime to illuminate things that I want to see better (in which case having a light with variable settings is helpful because for some things a blindingly bright light is too much, and will wash out details).