1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Altoids toiletry kit

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Brainbox, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Razor and deoderant are probably a no-go in the tin and the toothbrush is iffy unless you cut it down. Other stuff should fit nicely. I can put lip balm, nail clippers, ti toothpick, wetnap and/or hand sanitizer, travel toothpaste, floss and a cologne stick in a tin. You can cut an Emory board to size and fasten to the inside of the lid if you need one. You'll probably need something (suggest plastic) just slightly larger for what you want to carry.

post tenebras likes this.
  2. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure that you can put any gels/liquids/pastes in a metal container and get them through TSA via a carry-on. All of those things would have to go in your 1 quart zip-top bag to get through TSA, wouldn't they?

Have you checked out minimus.biz? They specialize in small size items and they are a fun site to look at. You can get them ala carte or you can buy pre-made kits. None of the premade kits are small enough for an Altoids box, though. http://www.minimus.biz/Personal-Care-Kits.aspx

post tenebras likes this.
  3. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the link. That’s very useful. I have actually ordered clear plastic boxes the same size as the tins so hopefully that’s acceptable to TSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

volvoboy likes this.
  4. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

i'm not sure how feasible this is but if you do manage it, let us know

5. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

TSA typically doesn't make exceptions, and on this they are very specific about items being in the specific size clear plastic ziploc bag. You can try, of course, and see what happens.

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

ITS Tactical had a good article about a travel / Go-Bag toiletry set that fits into an AlokSak. I don't see fitting a toothbrush or deodorant into an Altoid tin.

Some good recommendations have been made in this thread:
    - travel toothbrush
    - disposable razor (I like the ones with the disposable cartridges - it's easier to fit the blade and handle separately)
    - shave oil in lieu of shave cream (you may never go back - I didn't)

The bulkiest thing in most travel toiletry kits is still the deodorant. Even the so-called "travel size" containers mostly just reduce the overall volume of the container by however much they reduce the volume of the product. You get a huge package relative to the amount of product. If you don't want to mess with applying deodorant by hand, look for “empty deodorant containers 15mL” on eBay. You'll get about ten of them and shipping will take a while, but then you simply microwave any solid deodorant stick and pour it into the containers. Within an hour (maybe less), you will have mini deodorants to go. I think a 2.2 oz Mitchum stick filled four of the small containers, IIRC.

#26 jag-engr, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

@Brainbox did you ever manage it? I'd love to see how you got on

8. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

I put together a few altoids size plastic boxes which I carry with me but they are all first aid kits. It’s not feasible to make a toiletry kit that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

10. post tenebras

post tenebras Loaded Pockets

I minimized all my travel toiletries this year and learned a few things along the way.

For a toothbrush, cut down one with the flattest handle to the shortest usable length. I cut a little over an inch off of an old school GUM 411 toothbrush.

For a toothbrush cover, use disposable Intellident toothbrush shields which are papery, antimicrobial and add zero bulk.CVS also sells them as a house brand.

For toothpaste, use tablets. I have Dr. Ginger's, but there are several other brands. Eighteen tabs fit perfectly in a GUM Soft-Pick case. You could package them differently, e.g. in a pill capsule, an old aspirin tin, or rolled in foil like Life-Savers mints.

For a razor, get a mini Mach 3 Travel razor and pack it and the blade separately. I have a Parker Venus Travel razor with a knurled grip (Mach 3 and Venus handles and blades are completely interchangeable). Parker makes a Mach 3 Travel razor with a smooth and slippery chrome handle. There are several other (mostly very expensive) mini travel razors that take either Venus/Mach 3 or Fusion blades. Or, you could carefully cut down a Gillette handle (disclaimer: I have not tried this).

For shaving cream, Cremo makes really cool shaving sheets. You just wet one and rub it in your hands and it morphs into slippery soap.

For deodorant, Native makes the smallest stick I have found. It fits into an Altoid tin, but doesn't leave room for much else.

Which brings me to the tin challenge of this thread. I failed to stay under the Altoid limit, but I have an old watch tin that is only 2" longer, which, as you can see, will contain a usable, pocket-sized micro-Dopp kit.

A couple of the products before repackaging, and the tin:

[​IMG]

Everything organized with a few shaving sheets on the bottom, rewrapped in parchment paper. I didn't bother to wrap the toothbrush in an Intellident shield for this picture, but I would if I was using the kit.

[​IMG]

jag-engr, FiaOlleDog and microbe like this.
  11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

@post tenebras Very adorable kit you created! Looks like there is even space for other stuff like a compressed towel ...

I thought my mini dopp kit was already small (an IKEA pencil mesh case: 20cm x 6cm / 7.9" x 2.4"), but ... :)
    [​IMG]

Can recommend toothpaste tablets (bottom left in the picture) as well, and used them weekly traveling before the "big C" hit.

Also most places I stayed provided shampoo and body shower, I had one place where I was happy that I packed a few sheets of Sea to Summit body wash leaflets (top mid in the picture) - don't need any space at all.

As I haven't found such tiny shaving cream containers like you do, I simply cut a piece of a shaving stick and an Alum stick and put them into a contacts case (bottom mid in the picture). Your posting motivated me to redo the research and find something smaller ... such as Styptic Matches.

Also here in Germany I don't find the Gilette Mach3 travel razor, but a similar product from Parker: Mach 3 Compatible Travel Razor with Leather Case. It's about 3" long, accepts Mach3 blades, and costs a fortune (30 bucks). Nevertheless, it's on my shopping list :cool:

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Sep 20, 2021
    #31 FiaOlleDog, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    post tenebras, jag-engr and Nick4305 like this.
  12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Amazing work, sir!

I have always used one of the folding style travel toothbrushes. Now, being aware of this product, I will reconsider.

That's what I currently do with a Gillette Fusion. Previously, though, I experimented with a Schick Quattro. In lieu of a handle, it's attachment method allows a large binder clip wire to be inserted as a handle! The Schick Quattro just didn't work as well for my beard, though.

Try an eye dropper bottle of shaving oil or try shaving with conditioner. I get a better shave with most hotel-supplied conditioners.

As I noted above, you can melt down solid deodorants and place in different containers. As an update to my earlier recommendation, you can now find the 15mL deodorant tubes on Amazon. To be fair, I got the idea from a travel blog post on the process (though this guy used chap stick tube, which seems silly to me).

Nick4305 and post tenebras like this.