1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Altoids toiletry kit

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Brainbox, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Hi. I’m looking for a Carry-on toiletry kit that can be used on planes or in go-bags. Deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, razor and shaving gel, mouthwash/mints, toothpick, hand cleaner. Maybe I missed something but you get the idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

No specific recommendation. I have a small toiletry bag from LLBEAN that I have carried for years. It is the type that folds in half with zipper closures and includes a hanger, and in my case it holds cartridge razor and extra blades, shaving soap stick, small shaving brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, travel package of q-tips, and comb. There is still room for another couple small items, such as your mints and hand cleaner, maybe. I carry it in a duffle that I use all the time and carry on when flying. It could also be carried in a backpack.

If you are looking for ways to economize space, you might think of leaving the shaving gel and using a small travel bar of hand soap. Soap lather will work ok in the place of gel with a cartridge razor.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Brainbox: @aih has made a good suggestion. Also take a look on Amazon and on the website for Land's End or Tumi. Not sure which websites you would naturally turn to where you are....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jbraman likes this.
  4. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

To make it clear, I’m really looking for a ready made kit in an Altoids size box that’s TSA aproved. It must exist!

5. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

As a DE shaver I made these on my 3D printer. Not exactly a toiletries kit but and idea of what you can do. Seen here with a Gillette three piece Tech and a Feather Portable. Not also for TSA approval as they of course have sharps in. [​IMG]

Treya, jbraman, Gary Gross and 2 others like this.
  6. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

Don't see getting everything mentioned into the volume of an Altoids tin unless Barbie Doll sized items.

Now I'm thinking of the toiletry kits you get on international first class flights. I wonder if those can be purchased somehow? (And now will search and see.)

Edit: Not much luck. Searched also on airline amenity kits. For kicks, check out https://www.amazon.com/United-Airlines-Limited-Special-Amenity/dp/B019EQRSVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524392190&sr=8-3&keywords=airline+amenity+kit Not much info, looks like just the tin, but can't tell.

Last edited by aih, Apr 22, 2018
    #6 aih, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Inner Prop likes this.
  7. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

It doesnt.
    Youre asking a whole heck of a lot for one small tin.
    Maybe youve never actually held an altoids tin, they arent that big.

Heck, you'd be hard pressed to find deodorant that'd fit, not even counting all the other stuff you mentioned.

Jay-uk likes this.
  8. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

How did you make the custom insert for the tin?

9. Devon Scout

Just a download from thingverse, then a question of using that in the software the printer came with and waiting. Once finished printing all that was left was to remove the print support material.

10. Sharaz_Jek

Ah. Thanks. A buddy of mine has a 3D printer. Going to have to make one of those kits.

jbraman likes this.
  11. Devon Scout

In fact here’s the link. It’s a free download, I’ve no affiliation to the site or person downloading.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1415739

volvoboy and Gary Gross like this.
  12. Sharaz_Jek

Devon Scout likes this.
  13. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Your best bet is to make it yourself. I used to travel so much I swear I had a reserved seat in the waiting room.

1. Travel size deodorant.
    2. Cartridge razor with cartridges. I switched to disposables.
    3. Shaving oil. It takes some getting used to but it is a small bottle and it goes a long way. Shave butter can be transferred to a smaller container.
    4. Stiptic for those nasty shaving cuts.
    5. Toothbrush and toothpaste.
    6. Wet wipes
    7. Nail clipper

I get soap (don't need shampoo) from the hotel. I also carry Gold Bond powder (not shown) and a small first aid kit.

I carry it in a zip lock bag. Small, light, easily and cheaply replenishable on the road. And all TSA passable.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

14. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Stuart, you’re probably right. I already have a backup plan to make my own. I do think I can get it small enough to fit in an Altoids tin size. I found clear plastic boxes the exact size on eBay and I’m collecting items to fill it. I have a couple of Colgate Wisps and am confident everything will fit in. Thanks

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Looking at the various posts, I'm reminded that at least here in US, many chain stores sell 'travel' and/or 'sample' size toiletries (deodorant, toothpaste, travel toothbrushes, various generic over the counter meds such as aspirin, antacids, etc etc.). These are generally cheap and easy to find. At least here. Not completely sure of where you are based or where you travel; but its something to keep in mind for replenishing your needs.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

WillAdams and Stuart Mantel like this.
  16. kakinuma-kun

kakinuma-kun Loaded Pockets

17. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure why you want to handcuff yourself to the Altoids tin. You're going to travel with a one use toothbrush that is too small to use effectively (the Wisp is good for an emergency but not for good oral care). Your replenishable supplies (toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, etc.) will be in such short quantities that you will be lucky to carry a day's use.

What will you do when you are stranded at the airport for a couple of days because of a snow storm? That is when being able to really brush your teeth is better than any other experience you can have.

The candy tin exercise is good to par your kit down to only the things you need. I remember the time someone taught me how to shave by holding a double edged blade between two fingers (a skill I never mastered nor did I try to teach to my son). After you have the packing list, ditch the tin and get usable sized gear and supplies. (That is my opinion and I am NEVER wrong :D). Unlike prepping for the great apocalypse (which may never happen), when you travel, you are highly likely to hit bumps in the road and have your plans changed by events outside of your control. Keep you kit light, keep it tight but don't short yourself. You can thank me later.

Wishing you Fair Winds and Following Seas.

18. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Stuart, I am really only interested in an emergency kit for a long plane flight and to keep in my work pack in case I have to pull a double shift. I will try to get the biggest size components that will fit. I’ve got a 12 hour flight coming up and want the smallest carry-on That is possible.

19. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Do you mean for ONE Altoids tin, or multiple?

If one - lol, what a joke.
    Multiple - lol, what a joke, just get a proper kit that's very small.

kikaida likes this.
  20. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Check with Survival Resources. They sell a mini 72 hr hygiene kit, no razor but it fits in a 4 x 5" Ziploc bag. They also sell the components separately if you want to build your own