1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Altoid Tin edc kits>>>>>small wallet sized pouches

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by ox71, Sep 6, 2022.

1. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

As of late I've noticed this trend(at least on youtube)small pouches in various materials, configurations, amounts of hook and loop, interior and exterior organization, zipper placements etcetera etcetera.

Now, I'm not talking the maxped micro even though it may be included due to its size, these are slightly smaller and easier to fit in a pocket.

Are these pouches replacing the venerable altoid tin as a go to device for carrying edc gears?

Is one of the reasons they are gaining ground the ability of the pouch to flex to fit a bit more gear?

The addition of loop fields to add patches and "ranger eyes" seams to be a big draw.

I would think the fact that they are soft and won't dig into ones leg might be a factor in they're popularity as well.

Personally, most of my gear stays in my pockets for ease of deployment. My knife, keys and flashlight are ready and waiting, I use the trayvax notebook wallet and the antigear wallet so my pen is easy to get to at work or about town so what would I put in one of these pouches?

My first small pouch was the maxpedition micro, it held a micro ratchet and three bit holders, a few bit extentions, my leatherman wave with the bit kit and a few other tools, the pouch stayed in my work bag along with an electronic scredriver until I needed it at work(often)to assemble or disassemble furniture and bicycles.

I no longer work as a packer in an overseas moving company so that kit has been broken up, I never felt the need to carry that kit in my pocket while out and about.

So here I am looking at the videos and the pouches have piqued my interest, but I want to start with a cheaper and easily accessible pouch to try it out, my choice was the maxpedition small pouch with hook, it has no exterior organization, two loops and a devider inside.
    I immediately put my minichamp, powerlitre, olight s1 mini, rite in the rain notebook, a bullet spacepen, a small pry bar and I'm all set, look at my cool edc kit!

And then I try it out in my pocket, fitting it to various pockets....hmmm, this thing is quite a bit of weight in one concentrated area....hmmm, it takes a longer time to dig out my pen when needed to sign the receipts from the company reps....I need a flashlight now, wait a minute, wait a minute......there it is.
    What a bother! The thing is useless, I definitely prefer to have my gear ready to use without fishing, unzipping and then fishing again, and the weight is bothersome all in one place, wobbling around one leg.

so now the pouch contains the powerliter and an old bike tool and it stays in the front pocket of my work bag when I bike to work.

So who among you all are using this new breed of pouch?
    Did any of you experience them in the same way?
    Are any of you having a more satisfying experience?
    If so, did you fill them with pocket junk, ranger eyes, glo beads?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#1 ox71, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    Nick4305 likes this.
  2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

:)My experience is pretty much in line with yours. My job requires business casual dress (occasionally dress pants/shirt and tie). My typical on-body carry for work is a Vic Vagabond and Olight or Thrunite AAA light. I’ve looked at various pouches in order to carry a larger knife and light without pocket clips showing. So far, I haven’t found a good solution that is practical and comfortable at the same time.

I had a really nice pouch from Yellow Birch Outfitters (the PocKit, I believe). It carried what I wanted, but 1000d cordura just wasn’t comfortable in dress pant/khakis pockets. It would be great if I wore Carthartts or jeans, but then there wouldn’t be an issue with pocket clips showing.

My current wallet is the Chums Surfshorts Wallet. I may actually try a second one as a gear pouch. It is 3” x 4.5” and is made of ripstop nylon, so it’s very light. It has 2 zippered pockets and a slip pocket. This could possibly be the best option if I can keep extra gear lightweight and to a minimum.

As for Altoids kits, I never found them useful for pocket carry, but do use them in kits for things that need a little more protection.

In the end, I’m like you and like my primary gear accessible. So, I’ll likely continue with my current gear choices for work EDC just because I can get to them quickly. But, I’ll keep exploring other options. Maybe I should learn to sew and make my own? ;)

ox71 likes this.