1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Smartwool

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Wishoot, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

keen is making some really awesome socks now. with a lifetime guarantee against wearing a hole through them. "dura-something socks. check them out.

I too wore a hole through a pair of smartwool... I was perplexed. It happened like after a couple times of wearing them in boots...

Wishoot likes this.
  2. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

Keen Olympus (dyneema material). I wanna buy a pair and test it out. Dura-Zone..
    Currently Darn tough in coolmax (running socks) are my favorites.. and they have lifetime warranty too..

Wishoot likes this.
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

For thick, winter socks I purchase the three-packs of Omni Wool Multi-sport socks from Sam's Club for <$15. They're great!

Wishoot likes this.
  4. EZO

EZO Empty Pockets

I bought 4 pair of the Keen Olympus socks and have been wearing them alongside 3 pair of lightweight smartwool socks for about 8 months. The smartwools are starting to show spots that are getting thin, the Keen socks appear to be like new still. I actually prefer wearing the Keen socks as well, they seem to be more comfortable. I am going to get some Darn Tough socks to replace the smartwool socks when they are fully worn out.

5. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

I'm wearing a pair of the same Keen socks that I posted about close to a year ago and they are going strong as are my Darn Tough socks. Sadly I have lost a few Smartwool socks during that time. To my surprise the Dahlgren Alpaca socks are holding up very well. I will probably stick with Keen and Darn Tough for replacements when that time comes.

Wishoot likes this.
  6. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Which of the Darn Tough socks does everyone use and for what usage? Was looking for everyday use or for those long outings with kids.

Wishoot likes this.
  7. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

I have several pairs of the Darn Tough USMC boot socks that I rotate year around. I haven't tried any other styles.

Wishoot likes this.
  8. Ceezer

Ceezer Empty Pockets

If you're in the Carolinas and have access to a Mast General Store, I really like their house brand wool socks. I've been wearing their mid-weight hikers, in regular and low-cut, for almost 3 years now and only 2 socks have had a hole wear through (and, actually, both holes are in the same spot at the top of my foot, not at the heel or on the sole). They've worn well, they've held their form better than any other brand I tried, they have a higher percentage of merino wool than any other brand I've seen (88%, I believe), they're made in NC and they're decently priced compared to other brands. I think they're regularly $9/pair, but sometimes they have a buy 3 get 1 sale, bringing them down around $7.

mbick, NeonLights and Wishoot like this.
  9. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I wear the no padding issue socks daily and I find them very comfortable and versatile. I also own some of the mini crew light padding hiking socks that are very nice when wearing heavy hiking shoes or being on your feet for a long time.

Wishoot likes this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I placed an order for a pair of the micro crew cushion darn tough socks. Should be here in a couple days. I'll post back once I've tried them out. First time I've paid this much for a pair of socks.

Wishoot likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Tried the darn tough cushion socks out today with a regular outing with the family. So far I am impressed with them. After a full day of walking around and chasing the kids my feet weren't sweaty and amazingly the socks smelled like they just came out of the wash. I probably would of worn them for another day or two but wifey wouldn't go for it. Definitely going to start replacing my socks with these. Might try a pair of their light cushion socks as well.

Wishoot likes this.
  12. MFS1589

MFS1589 Loaded Pockets

Darn tough or Costco Brand Wool socks.

Wishoot likes this.
  13. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

Ive been rocking darn tough and keen olympus for the past year. the DT are showing no wear at all. the olympus very minimal. Im super impressed with the darn tough, my number one recommendation, and they are both USA built. ! :cool:

Wishoot likes this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Which darn tough does everyone use? I like the cushion ones for better comfort but they can get a bit hot. I picked up a couple pairs of the light cushion which seem to do better with cooling but not as comfortable if your on your feet for longer periods. But either is better than any other sock I've worn before.

Wishoot likes this.
  15. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

Light cushion hiker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  16. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I wear the Darn Tough Standard Issue non cushion daily and I find them very comfortable. I tend to wear minimalist shoes so I'm used to the lack of cushion YMMV. Also, I spend a good portion of my time in office or other professional environment and they are way better than every other dress sock I've used.

Wishoot likes this.
  17. cmo
    • In Omnia Paratus

cmo Loaded Pockets

Since this has turned into a Darn Tough love fest...I wear them every day. I did buy some of their Coolmax socks for the hottest days this summer and wear the wool ones the rest of the year. I have yet to come anywhere near wearing these out.

Wishoot likes this.
  18. cordova2008

cordova2008 Loaded Pockets

After reading this thread I tried some darn tough no show ultra light socks... I'm sold. Never tried thin wool socks for summer, just thick smartwool for winter with workboots. I always said if I won the lottery I would wear new socks everyday, now I guess I can have the maid wash my giant collection of darn tough ones.

amdmaxx and Wishoot like this.
  19. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

You can buy them online as well. I picked some up when we were down in the Smoky Mountains for our anniversary, we always stop at the Waynesville Mast General Store, but I noticed they have them for sale online too. Seems like one of the best buys around for a quality US made wool sock.

Wishoot likes this.
  20. Chimyz

Chimyz Loaded Pockets

+1 for Icebreaker.
    I swear by them once winter months come. The underwear and socks are daily wearers when temps hit 0degC or colder. Keeps me warm and ultimately happy during the cold Canadian winters.

Wishoot likes this.