1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Rite in the Rain?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by nbmaine2007, Apr 8, 2013.

1. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Not that I don't love them, but has anyone found a similar spiral notebook with regular paper? I don't really need the water resistant paper. Looking for something like the Journal #393.

Or I guess another question would be, what's a better pen to use with RITR? My Pilot G2 doesn't do too great. I know RITR suggests a pencil, so maybe I can go that route.

2. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

A fisher space pen works great.

3. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

Interesting tip: Rite in the Rain is supposedly all weather (which would include torrential, soaking rain), but on my marine science field work, I've found that if your hands are wet and you hold the pad, water seeps through the edges where there isn't much of the waxy coating. I didn't submerge the book once, but the constant holding it with wet hands made water ingress 10% from the edges and sometimes further into the pages, making it difficult to write.

4. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

Mine actually doesn't. Kind of disappointing actually.

I switched to field notes because I wasn't overly impressed with the RITR, plus my primary EDC pen is a fountain pen which obviously doesn't work with RITR. I now keep my RITR in my EDC bag, just in case. My fisher pen is in my wallet.

5. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I've used RITR pads with a Fisher Bullet Pen and/or a Parker Jotter with a Fisher refill for years and in all sorts of weather and have never had a problem with either.

I've been roadside at road rallies in pouring rain and have had other paper melt while the RITR pads have barely become damp once or twice -- never enough to cause a problem. Ditto for snow. I've gotten soaked, drenched, frozen, and so on but the darned things have never let me down.

I tend to use smaller pads though so maybe it's a problem with larger pages.

I've been thinking of getting a pack of RITR copier paper so if that's the case please let me know.

Also, they have a line of products (DuraRite) that they claim are waterproof. You might want to look at those.

CheepSteal likes this.
  6. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

i am actually thinking of switching to field notes to try it out. how are they compared to moleskin and their varients.

7. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

I literally just got mine today, so I've only written a few lines on it. It seems to write well, even with a fountain pen. The paper is smoother than moleskins. I've also never heard of consistency issues with fielfnotes, but they may be because of the people who use them are different.

8. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I have I think 1 more moleskine and about 6 or 7 piccadilly notebooks to burn through then I may make the switch to fieldnotes or something else.

9. EDCNoob

EDCNoob Loaded Pockets

10. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

The think I don't like about Moleskines is the inability to tear pages out (without it falling apart) and that it doesn't fold open well. I like a spiral notebook that can fold over on itself. I'm surprised there are more quality, compact spiral notebook options out there.

11. Badger375
    • In Omnia Paratus

Badger375 Loaded Pockets

I'd go with field notes, they also have a variety which has supposedly water resistant covers.