1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Munroe Danglers?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by mpec, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

The only problem with this-the glasses, the shoes, the jackets, the beanies-every single article of clothing is essentially a copy of every design out there. So then you'd basically have to find out if each one of the companies has a license to sell that design...

2. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I would argue that the majority of danglers are designed after common pocket watch clips. Just really beefed up with smaller innovations added on, like materials used, size, the bottle opener, etc. Doesn't change my opinion on them. Which I think I explained fairly well. :)

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  3. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

I was discussing this exact thing with a friend the other day regarding boots and shoes. The thing with clothing is that there is only so much you can do to make "your" product unique when it comes to clothing. Boots and shoes have a few timeless classic designs that are done by several companies. I wear Ecco Atlanta Wingtips in a day to day basis. Other companies make a similar or identical shoe. Not much variation can be made with these.

On the other hand, TAD designed their clothing with unique features, such as the hood with the hood with the built in bill. Condor has copied this design into their own products (and for that matter, much of the designs from the TAD jackets).

In terms of danglers though, there is plenty of room for variation and design still, so copying another company's design is unnecessary and, IMO, wrong.

4. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

I couldn't help but think of this.

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  5. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

"I see you're not a paying supporter of our forum." What does this have to do with anything? Is it a problem?

6. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

My point is that you say that Megas are always overpriced in the secondary and hard to find, yet a simple WTB wild probably yield good results. Not to mention the good deals on them and other things that can be found in our BST forum.

7. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

You have to have at least a +1 Supporter badge to start a thread in our B/S/T section. I think he was getting at that getting a badge and starting a "Want to Buy: Munroe Mega Dangler" thread would be a good place to start if you wanted to search one out.

trickcunningham likes this.
  8. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

I have never had much interest until recently, I will think about buying one I will see how I like the knock off. and as for the 11 dollar difference I hate price gouging and refuse to be a part of it...

Quixotica likes this.
  9. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

I'm with you on price gouging. I refuse to pay over table price for anything, no matter how much I want it. Same reason why I don't own a custom Dauntless.

10. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Oh man we've turned this into a 5 page thread about stuff. First world problems...

Bravo_Kilo likes this.
  11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

All day every day. :)

MatBlack likes this.
  12. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

"I can't find things to spend my money on D:"

13. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

You are right Alex, I will look at purchasing a Munroe thanks for the debate! :)

14. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Fixed.

15. Cornholio2188

Well-I have to agree with you. In a perfect world, nobody would copy designs and people should buy the originals and give their respects. Not everyone knows who makes the originals though-I have bought several things and found out much later they are based on, or even copies of an original.

I would say for smaller companies that it's a darn shame to have their designs stolen-as their life depends on it...for larger companies though, it seems kinda inevitable it will happen, and at a fraction of the cost. Not saying that's justifiable to buy-but some people just aren't that serious about the things that they buy, don't need the best, and definitely don't see the point in spending top dollar in stuff they want instead of buying the things they actually need-such as car and house repairs, lessons for the kids, education, etc.

I know for a person like you, edc seems much more of your lifestyle than just a small part of your life-but it's probably hard for people to grasp this. Plus-you get to keep your bragging rights while others just have knock off junk ;)

16. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

To each their own. I've got bills to pay, too. If anyone has ever wondered, I'm 21, work 3 jobs, and go to school full time. This is how I've been able to subsidize my EDC lifestyle. I know that I put much, much more value in the knife and gear industry than the average user, let alone the average person. We all have priorities in life. Luckily, I don't have too many responsibilities that I can place more of my funding into gear. Others can't, and that's alright too

I'll still stand by my "Counterfeits are lame" comment.

gerryk and Cornholio2188 like this.
  17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've got to have a horribly over-priced rice crispy treat or a packet of 3 small cookies with my coffee.

18. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

The most expensive I'll go with Starbucks snacks is a biscotti. I hate their pastries. I'm that weirdo that gets coffee at Starbucks, then gets a bearclaw at the Dunkin's next door. :p

19. Cornholio2188

I'm just beginning to see the value in having good standing with small business professionals. It is a million times more rewarding than just going to a store and purchasing something mass produced-and the items feel special. I highly recommend it, and you begin to think a lot differently about purchasing goods.

However, a pocket dangler doesn't seem that revolutionary-just a clip made out of metal...kinda sucks they made a blatant copy-but eventually you'll just want the original most likely-I heard if you contact munroe-they'll usually take care of you.

But once the production stops, it becomes less of a copy and more of an inspired novelty-if they can't get it anymore w/o inflated prices, close alternatives can't be that bad-just not necessarily that cool-as in you won't get props. But then again, it's just important people love what they own...really the companies should be blamed-not the customers.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

LOL . . . weirdo! ;)

If I'm completely honest, yeah it's been awhile since I've been to StarBucks. (So maybe the prices have gone up.)

Dunks is more affordable, and their coffee is very tasty too. I'll pay a premium for a luxury automatic timepiece and even for a keychain dangler. But coffee? . . . Not so much.