1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Munroe Danglers?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by mpec, Jan 26, 2013.

1. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

You'll see this subject pop up here more often than you might like. Condor, Voodoo, Enlan and many other clones or whatever you want to call them are used here with regularity. I had similar discussions 6 years ago regarding TAD Gear and Rothco/Condor/LAPG jackets and pants. Attitudes here are different than at USN, BF, Jerzee etc..Me? I go for the real deal but that's me. I don't expect the next guy to do the same.

Hartigan, KAMM and Doric like this.
  2. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

No, I know this. Some of my best friends wear Condor while I wear TAD. Not THAT big of a deal. We can all live in harmony and have cool stuff.

3. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

Well said, I like your point of view.

4. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

No thanks. I can't afford any high end stuff. Rough economy in this city, and diapers aren't cheap. I like the medium sized dangler more than the mega, anyway. :) but thanks anyway.

trickcunningham likes this.
  5. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Oh I'm sure the money situation will sort itself out. If you want one, please, let me know.

mooshisho likes this.
  6. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I wear condor but I'm working on it!!! :D get me a TAD ranger.

7. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Okay. :)

KAMM likes this.
  8. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

I bought one of the knockoffs from eBay... I am not paying 70 bucks for a bent piece of metal. Yet Ironically I buy TAD gear.
    --Ben

MrOG and KAMM like this.
  9. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

So would you say that the Pickpocket is a stolen design? Same material, function, idea etc.

10. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

No because it is a unique design... I think you've missed the point. Something can give you the same functionality and still be a completely different design. Look at cell phones and cars...

Doric likes this.
  11. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

I've homebrewed some "fish hooks" out of steel wire before. One weighs roughly 1/2oz or 15g. I imagine an authentic brass one is about as heavy. I feel it's ideal for use on belt loop or belt with jeans only given its bulkiness.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't like it because it wasn't made to function like a P-7. It's neither short nor compact enough to hang from the edge of a pocket, and given that, doesn't transfer well from slash pockets to jean pockets given the distance from the waist to pocket.

Edit: I can't tell if I've replied to the wrong thread or not hahaha: http://edcforums.com/threads/danglers.104470/

12. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

I usually hate clones but 70 bucks for a bent piece of metal is ridiculous. Just because you have a unique popular product does not mean you need to jack the prices sky high. Especially on something as menial as a key carrier.

13. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Have you ever designed and manufactured anything? Even more so, do you know what goes into manufacturing titanium? I'm gonna guess no.

14. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

I am no stranger to designing and manufacturing or intellectual property; but no way does it cost a large amount of money for the manufacturing process or getting your own cut. But 70 dollars is ridiculous. At the end of the day you are right counterfeits are bad; I will agree with you. I just dont feel comfortable with paying that kind of money for a dangler, yet I am ok with buying a 300 dollar knife. Everyone is different.

15. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

First of all, Deryk charges $59 per Dangler. 2nd, titanium is more expensive than steel. Period. Plus, it is not just getting it cut. It is bending and finishing these by one guy: Deryk. How much would you charge to design, fabricate, manufacture, and produce this product in Grade 5 titanium in the US? Do it for less than $59 and I'd be happy to buy one from you.

1 person likes this.
  16. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I actually really like what you've done there with the paracord. I could think of a few good uses for that trick to hang stuff off my MOLLE vest when I'm playing Army on the weekends. :) About what gauge wire did you use?

17. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

9AWG galvanized utility wire in a 160' spool in the $20 range. I think it's meant for fences. It's quite tough to bend, and almost too thick for paracord. (factor in 27%+ extra length, YMMV). I couldn't find 10AWG or thinner (but not much thinner), so if you can source something like that, it would be appreciated :)

Forgot to mention, I melted the paracord evenly to prevent wear, but cooking them in this way can uglify the colors, so black may be best. That was desert camo; now it's more like deserted poop.

Last edited by dyril, Jan 27, 2013
  18. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

It might be a while before I do that project. I don't think I have a drastic need for 160' of utility wire to drop 20 bucks on it for a couple of inches. Still, thanks for the great idea. :)

19. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

Well if I was as successful as him I would hire employees to help produce my products as well. Ya 59 bones if you are lucky enough to get one from him. 70 bucks on the secondary market which is where I only see them. If you wanna sell me one for 59 bucks I would pay that! I am not trying to bash Munroe I like his stuff I just dont want to pay a crap ton for one.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Some of us wouldn't even mind paying that much for a quality tool literally used every minute of every day when out & about. If your keys are dangling from a Munroe Dangler as one heads out the door, then you're using it until you get home and your pants come off. I'd pay $70 for one.

Problem for me isn't the slight mark-up. It's the lack of Munroe Danglers, the headache in tracking one down, etc.

BullRome and Quixotica like this.