1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Munroe Danglers?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by mpec, Jan 26, 2013.

1. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

2. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  3. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Too big for me too, but it might work for those interested in the Mega Dangler or its clone.

4. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

Agreed, but when it's 1/5th the price and actually available. It will make do.

Quixotica likes this.
  5. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Regardless, supporting thieves is wrong, plain and simple.

6. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

If you want a real one, PM me...

7. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

People wouldn't have to if the product was available. Like I said, you have to make do with what you have available. I shouldn't have to compromise on what I want to do with my set up because a producer can't meet demand. Not knocking on Munroe, I know they're extremely busy over there, but if that's the direction I want to go with how I set things up and feel it would add something that I'm missing to my carry, I'm not going to not do it because they don't have it available when someone else does, cheap clone or not.

8. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

I suppose intellectual property doesn't mean anything to you...

9. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

It really bothers me when this happens in the EDC community. 9 out of 10 times, the thing that you can't get is something you don't really need in the first place, so why would you compromise your integrity for a piece of gear, or to save a few dollars? You don't really need it in the first place.

10. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Not when the only place I can buy it is from a source that wouldn't support them anyway. I don't doubt that they put a lot of time, money, and effort into designing it. It's hard to put any product to market, especially in high numbers. But with the availability of it, they wouldn't be getting my money for their effort anyway. Why wouldn't I go with the cheaper option?

11. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Do we seriously need to have the same discussion every time these clones are brought up?

Perhaps Monroe should do their own stainless version for $25 bucks to capitalize on the market that obviously exists for a lower priced option. It's not too tough to manufacture a bent and shaped piece of steel.

oedipus1978 and Cornholio2188 like this.
  12. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Again, cheaper or not, whether or not they'd be getting your money, it's still a stolen design. Plain and simple. I don't see why it is so hard for everyone here to see that.

I won't speak for Munroe Designs regarding why they don't do a SS version.

13. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I'm not disputing that it's a stolen design. But my integrity would remain unchecked in getting the counterfeit, just because I know I'm not actually taking away anything from Munroe other than "that dude totally ripped off the design." If Munroe's were readily available, it'd be a different argument. I won't speak on price, because it's not actually a factor for me. Availability is my concern.

14. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Most custom knife makers' knives aren't readily available. Should we start counterfeiting their work too?

15. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I'd say a lot of them already have started to be counterfeited. But knives and danglers are apples to oranges. There's a lot more options with knives to get "close enough" to what you want than you'll ever have with danglers. There's maybe, what, half a dozen to a dozen dangler styles, tops? Danglers are far more of a niche product.

16. Midgitkilla

Midgitkilla Loaded Pockets

Google or look on ebay for a brass fishhook key chain. It isn't more then a hook so if you are looking for a bottle opener / pry bar / multitool , these aren't for you. I love the look and feel of brass and they age so well. Perfect for hooking to a pocket, belt or belt loop. The flash makes it look brighter then it is. It has darkened quite a bit with age. You can also get them in black brass.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Midgitkilla, Jan 27, 2013
    vegassprky and mooshisho like this.
  17. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

End of the day, it is a stolen design, regardless of what you believe in. If people care about fulfilling this niche market, then they should take the time and effort into designing and producing their own design, instead of profiting from someone else's hard work.

18. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Quixotica, I mean no disrespect. This is just a subject that I take very seriously, and Deryk at Munroe Knives being a friend makes this worse for me.

Doric likes this.
  19. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

No disrespect taken, nor intended. I'll never dispute that it's a stolen design. I'd take a Munroe one over a chinese knockoff any day of the week. Better materials, tolerances, machining, and owner. But I just have no moral qualm with getting the knockoff if the original isn't available, and unless I'm extraordinarily lucky, getting one wouldn't even give money to the designer anyway. I'm not advocating for people to buy the knockoff. I just won't judge them for it because I can understand why they are. I'll link to it because they asked and let them make their own call.

Doric likes this.
  20. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Shoot me a PM. If you really want a legit Mega, I can make that happen for you.

mooshisho and vegassprky like this.