1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Munroe Danglers?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by mpec, Jan 26, 2013.

1. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

You won't be disappointed and your wallet will thank you.

riot likes this.
  2. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

If nothing else the man in the gas mask is pretty sweet

riot and East Koast Kahuna like this.
  3. MikeFromGermany

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

There is also a new dangler that is made of titanium and sports a cap lifter and a light pry tip, too. It's the new version of the 'ttcapper' from 'tt pockettools'.

I'm not connected to them in any way and I have no personal experiences with it yet. So far I've only seen the pictures on the web site and ordered one.

4. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

durtyhairy likes this.
  5. MikeFromGermany

I guess this one is from the guy named kayjin on eBay? Looks stylish!

I have one of their brass fish hooks and I really like it so far. But I will try the ttcapper once it's delivered. Hopefully smaller, lighter and less footprint on the keychain.

InMused likes this.
  6. samuraishot

samuraishot Loaded Pockets

I also have one of kaijins blackened brass belt hooks and it's awesome! However, as the coating wears off from use, the brass that gets revealed is more of a pinkish (edit: I'd would say more orange like copper) color than the yellow of brass. It looks cool though. My 2nd gripe is that it's heavy.

[​IMG]

vegassprky and InMused like this.
  7. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

I agree they have a bit of weight to them. I don't mind that for the class tradeoff. I have P7s on my other gear and I much prefer the way the kaijin hook slips with ease on and off my pocket edge. I think the weight helps in that function.

MikeFromGermany and samuraishot like this.
  8. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Here some comparison pictures of different dangler varients:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just received the TT capper and I think it is perfect for any minimal keychain setup! But I'm also very much looking forward to a copper GearPull! The design with all the holes fits perfectly to something made in brass or copper and it is ideal for a bigger keychain setup! :D

9. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I ordered the Munroe clone, but I really like the looks of the one from tt pockettools!!

10. Euthymic

Euthymic Loaded Pockets

Just a head's up. I received an email from Jana yesterday that they had just finished up a run of DTS danglers so if you are interested, it might be worth sending her an email. I have the larger monroe, the pick pocket, and the p-7 and have found that I use the pick pocket the most due to it's size (small enough to be unobtrusive but large enough to easily grab when removing your keys). The P-7 was a little to small to grab onto and the monroe was just to large so I'm looking forward to giving the DTS a try (which looks like it has a little more meat for slipping your thumb under when retrieving them from your pocket).

11. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Loaded Pockets

Let me be the first to tell you it does not. I find my P-7 easier to get clipped onto my pants. Both are about the same size, the DTS is longer inside the pocket.

12. MikeFromGermany

How do you like your capper for your keychain by now?
    I ordered one of them because it looked quite small and since it is made from titanium it is very light.

But now I received it and I'm not sure if I really like it. :(

The pry edge snags on the seam of my polo shirt (shirt worn outside of jeans). And it is extracted from the edge of my jeans pocket very easily because the gap of the capper is quite straight and wide.

I also have the brass kaijin fish hook (middle one in your 2nd picture) and I think this one won't get lost as fast as the capper.

Any thoughts on that, anyone?

thefrank likes this.
  13. East Koast Kahuna
    • In Omnia Paratus

East Koast Kahuna Loaded Pockets

I carry the same way - Polo outside of jeans. I carry a single blade folder tucked / clipped in the front part of my right-front pocket. I carry my keys in the back part of that pocket. (The Monroe stays clipped to the back part of the left-front).

I'm really partial to the PickPocket for my keys. When I need them quickly accessible with no fumbling (that short time moving little Kahuna from car to front door, carrying groceries to door, or walking from car to work entry with bag and other items) I hang them from the PickPocket on the outside (back of front-right). When I need them readily available but not exposed, I'll put them in the same place with the lanyard and bead hanging out - the PickPocket is compact enough to hide easily with my keys. If I want to tuck them away (not at the bottom of the pocket as I would have to fish around the knife) I hang them from the Pickpocket on the inside. It works out perfectly for me. I've put one on both the keychains I alternate. Oh, and it has never caught on my Polo.

I can't take pics of the carry at the moment, but here's a picture of my last pocket unload (yes, you may have seen it before but I really like this pic!)...

[​IMG]

I would also be remiss (and at top of The Plumbah's bad list) if I didn't remind that plenty of PickPockets are still available in the forum store for as little at $20 (plain unbranded) HERE!

http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=edcfbrandeditems

Hope that helps!

nightowl and Heywood Floyd like this.
  14. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying it quite a bit since I got it and I have no complains so far! I haven't had any problems with the shirt getting caught in the pry tip but I can imagine that this is kind of annoying depending on the length of your polo shirt and the design of your jeans. I actually like the fact that you can take it out rather easily, the weight of the keychain still makes sure it doesn't come out every time I take my hands out of my pockets!
    From the smaller dangler variants I definitely prefer this one. The PickPocket is nice and has the advantage that you can attach a lanyard on the upper part but I prefer the minimalist look of the capper. For bigger keychain setups I have backed a GearPull with can hold a lot of stuff and still sits pretty comfortable in the pocket IMO.

15. bcWRX-02

bcWRX-02 Loaded Pockets

Just looked into the GearPull after seeing your pic. Love the copper! Pricey, but it just jumped to the top of my list of danglers.

Link to the GearPull Kickstarter:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872996112/the-gearpull-a-revolutionary-dangler

thefrank likes this.
  16. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Quality has its price! Once you have it you will notice that the GearPull has a much, much nicer finish than all these mass-produced kickstarter projects. It's kind of like comparing an Atwood tool to the Gerber Shard!

17. Shane Girven

Shane Girven Loaded Pockets

Gear Pull looks awesome. Would love one.

thefrank likes this.
  18. ihalatch

ihalatch Empty Pockets

Munroe's Mega Dangler, where can I get one?

19. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

There are three options:
    - send an email to Jana (address is on their website, bottom right), see if they have something in stock or if she can at least put you on a waiting list
    - Munroe subforum on USN, they sell danglers in batches every couple of months
    - secondary market (EDCF B/S/T, USN, ebay...), prices typically vary from $70-100+

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Option #1 is only viable if you're willing to wait longer than whatever time she quotes you.