1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Maxped Fatty

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by LausDeo, Aug 13, 2012.

1. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Hard use. Except it can't go near a washing machine. Or leave the country. Yep.

Aleister, xbanker and Gnarly like this.
  2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xbanker likes this.
  3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

There's a little irony in there somewhere, since M*xped products are manufactured outside the U.S. :)

Wonder how someone might fare warranty-wise if they lived in possessions, territories and commonwealths ... do those count? American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, Midway, Wake Islands. How about Guantanamo Bay? :)

Or what if you're driving to Alaska and your M*xped fails enroute, say, while you're in Canada. Better wait 'til you get to Alaska to seek warranty-related. :)

4. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

More than just a little, IMO.

5. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

When it comes to the Pied Piper Effect of incredibly overrated MaxPediddle products, this calls for not one but TWO quotes from P.T.Barnum:

“There's a sucker born every minute.”
    P.T. Barnum

“Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”
    P.T. Barnum

I think it is highly likely old P.T. has a relative who is now in charge of their overblown ad campaigns and their ego-inflated mottos.....like 'Hard Use Gear' [​IMG]

xbanker likes this.
  6. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Ironically, my current EDC bag is a (seriously) cheap import knockoff of a MaxPud Versipuck. I bought it some time ago at some discount store. It was cheap enough that I bought two. The first one disintegrated -- my fault, I was commuting daily at that time, and I overstuffed it. After changing jobs and requiring a lighter load, I started using the second one while looking for my next EDC bag.

7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

If you all want to have the hate on for Tim Tang, that is entirely all right! The outside USA warranty killing clause is stupid in the extreme. But the whole washing machine thing is a bit over the top. I have NEVER had to machine wash a backpack or any similar piece of gear. Is the guy saying you can't hose it off in the yard or what? Again, you guys don't like HIM so that extends to not liking the product and that is entirely all right to do! The guy acted like a Class-A Dick over here but this washing machine angle is just goofy. I had an ALICE Pack that I had all over the AT and the rest of Hell's Creation back in the 80s and 90s and I guess I just ain't into sticking my nylon gear into washing machines, of all things. :D

8. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Whatever happened with that dude here, was before my time here.
    Not hating him, just the farce of calling anything 'Hard Use Gear' that can't be washed any daym way the buyer wants to.
    Personally, I won't own a bag or pack that is unable to be machine-washed.
    My USGI surplus gear is made here in the U.S.A., gets machine washed @ least twice a year, and there's nothing in the fine print that says I shouldn't....and it has never come out damaged in any way.
    The 'waterproofing may wash off' bull:poop: is inexcusable,also.
    Anybody who really uses outdoor gear around here takes time to waterproof it @ least twice a year.
    Sometimes I get up extra early, despising Maxpediddle gear, just to get my sneer on early.

keith1234, xbanker and DBR like this.
  9. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Bwahahahahaha!

I feel ashamed...my bag smells like a bag. :D

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Mine were smelling like Cottonmouth Swamp!

DBR likes this.
  11. xm8

xm8 Banned

Altenatives: Maxped. FR1

Maxped. Beefy pocket organizer is coming out later.

12. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I've been waiting to use that one for months :D

For all the newer members who don't know what the deal was with Maxpedition and this forum here's the original thread documenting it. http://edcforums.com/threads/maxpedition.54279/

Oh, and ... [​IMG]

;)

LausDeo, mooshisho and Gnarly like this.
  13. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Thanx,Enki_ck....for the fine selection of Smileys....and the subtle nudge to get this derailed thread back onto the trax.

Back on topic: I'd go with the Spec Ops brand organizer.
    Will last forever, or cheerfully replaced FREE.

14. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Just read this...wow.

I had no idea the backlash was so great.

BUT just FYI, the PU coating on back of most CORDURAs will not wash off since it's spray and bonded with the fibers of the nylon. What may wash off is the DWR (Durable Water Repellant) coating on the TOP surface of the nylon. However, they are more concerned about stitching and webbing getting unknown stress beyond human interaction.

I only have a few of their EDC organizers, that was before I hopped on a sewing machine and started to destroy them from the inside. :)

---

To get back to the REAL issue, I like the Fatty Organizer, it's roomy and the different lay out and zipper pocket makes it very versatile. I use one for my scooter tool kit and it fits a LOT of stuff. I also works great for a lay-flat FAK.

15. Etrange

Etrange Loaded Pockets

LausDeo and Gnarly like this.
  16. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

17. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

I heard the same thing about Condor. But I took a chance and bought a Sidekick off eBay. Got lucky I guess cause I've had no problems with mine. I use it for organizing my USB drives, external hard drive, cables, and voice recorder for school. It goes in and out of my bag several times during any given day with no wear yet. The elastic has held up well too. For the price it has been a good bag.

18. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I don't put my fine kitchen knives in a dishwasher & never even thought about machine washing a maxped or any other pack.
    Some items you take the time to hand wash. Why spend (sometimes) hours "playing" with gear but think its easiest to toss the container in a agitating detergent laden machine?

For the record, my 15ish yr old M1 has gotten so dirty and muddy so many times you couldn't even tell it was black! 10 minutes wiping it out with a damp cloth & it still looks almost new :/

(Sorry to lend to the "thread hijack")

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

19. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I had enough of Maxped when I learned of them threatening to sue this forum! I have many of their packs and organizers. Unless they come out with something I absolutely must have, I'm pretty well done with them. I'll use & enjoy the items of theirs I already have, but that's about it.
    I have one of these and for me, the organization is first rate! YMMV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Why would they threaten to sue this forum?