1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Maxped Fatty

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by LausDeo, Aug 13, 2012.

1. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about getting a maxpedition fatty organizer for some items of mine but wasn't sure if there any other alternative pocket organizers around the same size or build I should be looking at or considering before spending the cash. Can anyone recommend anything?

THERoxyStarr likes this.
  2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

temujin likes this.
  3. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Hmm..

That "Rat-Pack" by specops looks comparable in size to the Fatty Organizer but it's interior pockets give it more of a cluttered than organized look in my humble opinion. I don't know.

4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

No...the Pack Rat is about 2.5-3 times the size of the MaxP F.O.
    The pocket organizers are almost exactly the same as the MaxP organizer.

5. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

The PackRat is larger than the Fatty. However, most of the interior pockets are arranged vertically, so depending on how you load it up, most of your stuff could end up towards the bottom of the bag. There are no elastic loops for the smaller items, so keep that in mind. It's great for medium to larger items but not as great for the smaller items.

[​IMG]

6. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I love the pack rat but the way the pockets are arranged, makes if pretty fat toward the bottom when loaded up, making the exterior pockets sorta useless. Would be nice if it had staggered pockets.

7. ParSve

ParSve Loaded Pockets

I am in the same situation, and I am choosing between the Fatty and a Condor Sidekick, available on eBay. Worried about the quality if the Condor though, it is a bit cheaper than the Maxped...

I also have a Rat Pack, use it for my Vespa tools - I love it but it is for larger items, as previously stated.

8. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

The Condor can be a hit or a miss. I have bought some here and there and encountered issues with the stitching and elastic.

9. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

What? Really? [​IMG]

10. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I will definitely take it into consideration.

11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Don't get him started enki_ck. Don't want to cause a coronary. :)

I'm not trashing M*xped. I own several organizers and they've served me fine. But, as points of fact, speaking to the consequences of washing a product, from M*xped's site, care instructions state ... do not machine wash. That is important to remember, since the warranty goes on to say our products are fully warranted to the original owner against manufacture's defects for the lifetime of the product ... [but] does not apply to damages caused by improper care. "Improper care" would seem to include machine washing.

As a related aside, also interesting to note this warranty stipulation: This warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the product, and only to products purchased and used in the United States of America.

Not every company can have a Leatherman-like warranty.

enki_ck likes this.
  12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Suffice it to say: I've bought her lingerie with a better warranty.

Can't blame it on Enki_ck, this time. I was already there.

xbanker likes this.
  13. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Can't help but wonder, how do they treat warranty claims from military serving outside the U.S. ... a significant slice of their customer base. Or, for that matter, how 'bout our international members who own a M*xped or two.

14. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Shabbily, I'm sure.

15. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I'll be the first to agree, what real value is a warranty when it's filled with exclusions and exceptions. I wasn't aware of the "inside the US-only" restriction until read warranty prior to post. Clearly, "hard use" means something different to me.

16. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I have two of their products but as I live in Europe, I've already voided the warranty just by owning the product. And I'm the first owner. [​IMG]

DBR likes this.
  17. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I dunno, I never had to throw a backpack or similar piece of gear into a washing machine. Hahahaha!

18. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that is an incredibly bad decision for them as far as I'm concerned.

xbanker likes this.
  19. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I agree Don (although I'd be reluctant to call a washing machine "hard use"), but being the occasional over-thinker, can't help but wonder ... do their warranty exclusions, e g. accident, unreasonable use, improper care ... or negligence, coupled with the machine wash exclusion ("don't get wet and agitate"), mean that my warranty was void in this instance ... whitewater trip on Salmon River, Idaho ... took an unplanned dunk in the water for about a minute ... had a M*xped organizer on my belt. Did that constitute accident/unreasonable use/improper care/negligence/washing machine-like treatment? With all those loopholes, all subject to their interpretation, I could've been up the creek (no pun intended :)) had I returned under warranty.

I'm content having a couple of their organizers, but for more expensive gear, give me a Leatherman- or REI-like warranty (or any number of other companies).

20. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I think the main thing about the washing machine clause has more to do with the detergent removing the DuPont and/or Teflon or whatever coating they have on the nylon. So...I can sort of see that in a way if it is a detergent-based concern. As I said, I've been using stuff like this since I was a kid and I have never washed a backpack or anything like this stuff in a washing machine so it's a non-starter for me. The directions, and I could be wrong as they are from memory, is that you use a damp cloth to wipe off dirt or mud or whatever and I just don't see anything wrong with a company voiding a warranty if you use some detergent that is then going to cause some type of further dirt-involved damage.

The truth of the matter is, the guy acted like an :censored: on these forums and he's paying for it with this kind of anti-Maxpedition sentiment, which I don't have a problem with. But it seems that in the desire to do that, it's expanding to this sort of thing, "But I can't wash my Maxpedition DevildogRosieFatAssBag in my GE washing machine! It's JUNK!" I don't think that is quite fair at all really.