1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Fisher refill (PR* series)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by choombak, Jun 21, 2013.

1. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Okay, so I am sick of these Fisher refills - I have three and all of them are crappy. They just don't write smooth, so I am checking if there is an alternative I can use. The pens are: County Comm Embassy, Hinderer Investigator, and Maxmadco Bolt Action pen. Did not find any info via search, so created a new thread. Thanks!

2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

The maxmadco can take any parker refill. I have the monteverde fine gel in mine. Love it love it love it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Oh :censored:! Right. Thanks for reminding me... And the oft ponder research is too cool. :)

4. MeridianSun

MeridianSun Loaded Pockets

Schmidt 9000!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Right... the Fisher refills. They do write on a great variety of paper/surfaces and the dark blue color is quite nice.
    BUT... I have all 3 point sizes; fine , medium, broad. All three seem to leave skip marks in my writing...some
    of the writing looks terrible later. And to get that one must apply a fair amount of pressure. I sent one back to the Fisher and the kind Fisher folks sent me another.. I think it wrote well for about a day or two and then it does the same thing. I can only conclude this is how they all are/by design.. this is the way the ink is. It does depend on the paper..the skipping is better on some than than others. I think folks may have better luck with black. They are ultra dependable.

Great research on the refills...most welcome.

6. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've always been pleased with the fisher fine point refills in black, blue, and red. The other colors take more pressure and don't write as smoothly.

--flatline

7. Rocket1

Rocket1 Loaded Pockets

My first refill skipped all the time but I replaced it with a new one and I haven't had any issues.

8. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I've had some issues with Fisher Space pen refills but I've just tolerated it. I would think that a refill that costs as much as the Fisher would write better. In my situation I use my Space Bullet Pen to write short entries in my Moleskine pocket notebook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

What kinds of problems are we talking about? I've been using fine point fisher space pen refills for the last decade and find that they write very well for a ballpoint refill. The only issue I've ever had was with a little bit of ink globbed at the tip, but that seems to be limited to the medium point refills.

I understand that space pen refills used to write kind of gritty, but that's something that they must have resolved before I started using them.

--flatline

10. samuraishot

samuraishot Loaded Pockets

When my bullet pen ran out of ink, I happened to have an F-701 on hand and decided to try it out too and also discovered that that it works great. I too had the glob problem with the fisher.

11. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

It skips, and requires lot of pressure while writing to bring out a decent darkness. Same problem with my medium, and thick point -- all three have made writing miserable. At $5, I expected them to write well, since I never write upside down, or underwater. ;-)

12. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

As ballpoint pens, the fisher refills are sensitive to writing styles, so just because they work well for me doesn't mean that they will work well for anyone else.

I use 0.3mm drafting pencils for most of my writing, so I am accustomed to writing with very little pressure. I do not find the fine blue and fine black fisher refills to take much pressure or to skip. I do, however, find the medium refills to take an uncomfortable amount of pressure.

--flatline

13. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

+1

Just got a SF EWP-01 with the Schmidt refill - and it glides beautifully.
    It won't fit every pen designed for the fisher refill though, only those which take the Parker size refill, (or fischer with the little white cap on the back)

I don't know if the Schmidt refills are pressurized though - I havent really tested them.
    I don't write underwater or in space, but I do occassionally lean on a wall or other non-horizontal surface to write, and normal pens skip when you do that, which is why I have always used space pen refills or Uni Powertank pens (which are awesome by the way, I love mine, but prefer a heavier tougher pen)

EDIT -- heres a pic of my pens, the SF is new, but it does write very nicely - much better than the space pen refill.
    top to bottom, Uni Powertank, SF EWP-01, EDCF Tuffwriter and their refills, in the same order Powertank, Schmidt 9000, Fischer PR4
    [​IMG]
    you can see the fischer PR4 would fit in the place of the schmidt with a small extension adapter on it - this adapter is supplied with the refills, so if you need the adapter to use it in your pen, you can use the Schmidt instead

Last edited by echo63, Jul 8, 2013
  14. hedonist222

hedonist222 Empty Pockets

So, any embassy alternatives?

15. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

The only one I know of is Schmidt's own pressurized refill..Megaline 4889? don't know if it writes any better.

You should write the kind Schmidt folks and tell them you want the Easyflow ink in the Fisher/Megaline refill format?

16. hedonist222

hedonist222 Empty Pockets

Thanks rmin!

17. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

"You should write the kind Schmidt folks and tell them you want the Easyflow ink in the Fisher/Megaline refill format?"

The odds are better of marrying Miss America and finding that she can cook. More viscous/thinner ink won't work in that (pressurized) application.....but one can dream....:rolleyes_revamped:

18. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Thinner ink wont work in a pressurised application, but Schmidt coukd make a fisher PR4 sized replacement, with their non pressurised easyflow ink

19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, that would be possible, but I would question if there's a viable market for it. I would think the vast majority of people who want a Fisher PR4 size refill want the "writes anywhere" aspect, and those who just want a cartridge that writes well in general use would look to something in a Parker style or universal rollerball format anyway.