1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives for carrying spare battery

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SOS24, Apr 19, 2019.

1. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

My normal edc flashlight uses a 16340/cr123. I like to carry a spare battery in my bag for the just in case and usually use a delrin case. Recently, I decided to try a different option a spare flashlight. I decided to checkout both the Fenix E16 and Olight S1 mini baton to see which one I liked more.

You can check out their actual specifications on the manufacturer pages but here are a couple of the noticeable differences for me.

Size - The E16 is smaller but not significantly. The heads of both are the same size but the E16 body is slightly narrower and the E16 is slightly shorter.

Brightness - The E16 max lumens is higher (700 vs 600) especially if comparing the S1 hi cri version (450). The S1 has a lower low (.5 vs 3). The S1 has 5 levels vs the E16 4.

Beam - The Fenix only comes in XP-L HI, which they call neutral but to me seemed warm with definite orange tint. The S1 comes in XM-L2 or an XP-G3 CW hi cri both which are cool white (6500k and 5500k respectively). The S1 is floodier with a less defined hotspot.

Runtime - there is a 10 minute difference on high in favor of the E16 (65 vs 55 minutes). The low runtime difference is 15 days (S1) vs 70hr (E16) which is obviously due to the .5 vs 3 lumen

Clip - Both have two-way clips. The E16 clip rotates on the body, so it may cover the side-switch

Both have side switches, but the E16 switch is metal vs a rubber covered S1.

I think both could work for an alternative to carrying a spare battery in a case while also giving a spare flashlight.

Comparison photo
    [​IMG]
    Compared to a delrin cr123 case and Olight 16340
    [​IMG]

surefire7, Moshe ben David and ran23 like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So you don't mention maybe the most important thing to me?
    What is your usual light that these will augment?

When I do this I like to compliment the standard carry with the backup,so if I am carrying a Zebra and I always am I like my 2nd light to more of a thrower as the ZL are not throwers in general.

I also might just carry a ZL and its matching ZL Headlamp and that is a great solution for me as I need to be hands free a lot of the time too.

I have both lights too and either is worthy to work with your mystery light I imagine as they are so similar.

SOS24 and Norseman like this.
  3. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I didn’t mention my chose or normal edc because I was trying to present both as options over just carrying a spare battery in a battery case more so than as back-up flashlights.

But the complimenting aspect is why I prefer the Olight S1 mini. My usual edc flashlight is an HDS rotary with the 325 longer throw emitter. The S1 mini gives me a floodier beam that is also HI CRI.

This is especially interesting because based off just the specs, initially I was leaning more towards the Fenix E16 just because it was smaller and I usually prefer Fenix over Olight. I can see the Fenix being preferred if someone normally uses a diffused, flood, or cooler light.

surefire7 likes this.
  4. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I've thought the same for a few years now, since some lights are just a shade over the size of a capsule, it's better to carry an actual light.

Moshe ben David and SOS24 like this.
  5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I carry both multiple lights and spare batteries. As mentioned above, It's good to have a light that is throwier and brighter as well as a smaller light that is good for close up work with dimmer light. I have two hands, right? Might as well have a light for each hand. I had a close encounter with a deer once and used two flashlights at the same time. One to scan my car for damage, and the other to make myself visible to oncoming traffic. Sometimes when working in a dark area, I'll leave one light behind me to kind of light the whole area and use the other light to provide up close lighting. The other thing about carrying a spare light is that it is a lot easier to pull out the back up light than it is to put a new battery in your light in the dark.

Norseman and SOS24 like this.
  6. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I carry a spare 10440 since it's so small and barely noticed in a pocket or bag.
    I also keep a spare light in my bag, a long with a battery for that.i keep the pockets as minimal as possible.

SOS24 likes this.
  7. JUGRNOT

JUGRNOT Loaded Pockets

I have a skinth L and have my wave, maratac aaa, scripto lighter and 3 as batteries in there it's great. For bigger flashlights I have a bag in my car that has a lot of everything never out of reach for me.

8. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Nitecore MT10C run off an 18350. I have my work backpack during the week and if I’m traveling or going to be away from the house a very long time on the weekends I’ll have a spare 18350 (either on my Maxpedition Sitka or my girlfriend’s pocket book). BUT in my work backpack I carry a Jet MKII run from a 16340 (which I have a spare in my pack also). In my Sitka I have a ThorFire Mini run from a 14500 - and I have backup batteries in the Sitka as well. ALSO in my work backpack and my Sitka I keep small chargers lol

Sooooo Wednesday my office was without lights (not power - we had power but the program that controls the lighting is screwed up and it wouldn’t let maintenance override the system and turn on the lights). I was the envy of the office because my office (which is internal with no windows) was bright as could be LOL

...I love when my backup plans work for me! (And I’m sure you guys know the feeling too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Are those both side switches? Although I like the size, my preference for doing the spare battery in a light would be a twisty, like the 4sevens mini. Less likely to come on by accident. Wonder which of these lights has the highest parasitic drain?

10. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

They are both side switches. Both do have a lockout feature. The Fenix E16 also has the ability to rotate the clip to where it would be over the button, but I don’t know how well it would actually stay there. I’m not sure about parasitic drain.

twoisone likes this.
  11. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I've never needed an extra battery in my EDC so I don't carry one, either on my person or in my backpack. If I'm going away for a couple of days, I'll toss in a spare set but I don't think I've ever needed them. I check my light every couple of weeks and if it's dimming, I'll switch out the low battery for a fresh one

I do carry a backup light in my pack though. On body I carry a Fenix LD09 but in my pack I have a headlamp (Petzl Tikkina 2) which lives next to my IFAK. If I ever need my IFAK, I might well want a headlamp.

Next time I replace either of them, I'll probably go with something that takes the same battery. The LD09 takes a AA and the headlamp takes AAA. Having the same size means I could take a battery from the headlamp if I need to.

I keep a few sets of batteries in my car. I like to have a spare set for every light in my emergency kit which works out at 4 AA and 6 AAA so I'll slowly phase out to all the same size there too.

SOS24 likes this.