1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternative uses / inserts for Zippos

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by rhosey, Jan 1, 2014.

1. rhosey

rhosey Loaded Pockets

Other than replacing the original lighter with one of the butane type inserts, I'm curious what other types of inserts have bought/made to repurpose Zippos OR other alternative uses members have found for Zippo casings. I've thought about using one in much the same manner as others do the mini Altoid cans to store pills, etc.

I don't smoke & typically don't EDC a lighter, but I'm quite fond of the quality & form factor of Zippos.

2. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Way, way back Zippo sold a little flashlight insert that was about half as useful as the standard flame for providing light. I'm not sure if anyone ever revisited the idea commercially, but there have been various LED light hacks that people have put together since then. Check Lifehacker, Instructables, and CPF, and I'm sure you'll find one or two without much issue.

AK Adventurer and rhosey like this.
  3. rhosey

rhosey Loaded Pockets

I don't think the form factor would be a good fit for a flashlight... it's interesting that Zippo made a light insert back in the day, I wasn't aware of that.

4. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

I remember seeing someone on the forum using one as a match case. Can't remember who... Maybe AKadventurer?

SThr, AK Adventurer and rhosey like this.
  5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

The flashlights, the Ziplight, was actually pretty good, I loved them, a lot of light(for the time) from a little area.

Biggest problem was they made them as a disposable insert, the battery wasn't replaceable, and the things were about $8 or $10 a pop as I recall... pretty spendy now, and this was the mid 90s; was Horrendously expensive! I still have one(thats dead) somewhere, wish I could find it to retro fit to LED and replace the battery in.

Need to find a super slim AAA or AAAA light to make one out of...
    Its on my to-do list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

There have been some guys that built customs, a guy known as Spanish Flea was really good, if his site still exists, he did some cool ones about a decade ago, with some of the first good LED emitters.. As I recall he did some other stuff too, like a USB stick mounted in one.

Just looked, can't find the Fleas site, but I did find this one;
    diablo944.co.uk/the_usb_project.htm

I'm in the middle of trying to find a butane lighter, even a disposable one small enough to make into a a insert for the slim zippo... no luck so far, even the mini Bic is too thick.

A couple days ago, I was digging around and found out about a company that made butane inserts for the slim, but the latest mention of them is circa 2006, and I can't find one for sale, or even a pic of one anywhere...

Who, me? :unsure: :angel:

;)

Ya, I made a vesta(match safe) out of my solid brass zippo;
    http://edcforums.com/threads/from-zippo-to-vesta.111620/

[​IMG]

SThr and rhosey like this.
  6. rhosey

rhosey Loaded Pockets

The match safe idea & execution is very cool!

I found some videos on YouTube where people have modded the Ziplights with LEDs - one of them even with a multicolor LED with a selector switch. Not bad.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  7. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

Found the pics of mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did replace the light to a led and the battery is replaceable if you don't mind opening it up. I used a 9volt battery to get the AAAA batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SThr, Lou_G, AK Adventurer and 2 others like this.