1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternative Home Defense

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by suburbDad, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Well....at a minimum anyway. ;)

2. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Not so much, in fact criminals have more training than the average person they encounter when it comes to violence. While a lot of the study addresses the firearm aspect and I am not trying to tangent off the idea of alternatives to firearms for the OP, the fact is your aggressor is not confined in his or her attack because of beliefs, usually just opportunity.
    You can Google this exactly to find the complete article (2006 statistics) if so inclined, it should be the first result:
    "Bad News: Some criminals may have more firearms training than you"

Water-Rat likes this.
  3. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Your best "defense" alternative or primary it to make your house as undesirable and inaccessible to uninvited guests as possible. Them getting inside is already a disadvantage to you regardless of what is at your disposal, since you might get caught in the shower, in the sh*****, dead asleep, etc. without ready access to your tool of choice. When you are behind the curve you revert to gross motor skills and poor decision making especially untrained in similar situations

After that it is things that keep as much distance between you and your aggressors. So pepper sprays, reinforced bedroom door frames and doors with interior side only locks, etc. Clubs and bats are better then knives because you will get cut, stabbed and most importantly you are now one-on-one or maybe more on one at that point. Knives and ice picks have a place, but are a last resort because again, the outcome is going to be bloody and you may not be the the one on top when it's over.

xdglocker and suburbDad like this.
  4. clandr1

clandr1 Loaded Pockets

If I had to make a non-gun choice, I suppose it would be pepper spray and a rape whistle

5. Fronty2011

Fronty2011 Loaded Pockets

I would go with a pump shotgun if you can get past the gun issue, sometimes just the sound it makes when you pump it and chamber a shell is enough to deter somebody.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

suburbDad, make sure you check out some of the other threads in the self-defense sub-forum for some more varied and crazy opinions. There are a few similar threads like the favorite self defense weapon for home thread.

As far as the ice pick goes, the legality of something like that is questionable, especially if you have it by the door ready to go. First of all, unless your family is in immediate danger; make like a possum, barricade yourself, call the cops, and escape out the window if need be. There's no need to put yourself and others at risk unless it's absolutely necessary. If you are going to keep a melee weapon handy, make sure you're comfortable with using it. Especially with using it in tight quarters.

Personally, your knowledge of your home is your best weapon. Reinforce your home. A security system with a wailing, disorienting siren would be a good idea. Put motion detecting lights outside. If you can, install reinforced doors and heavy duty locks in appropriate places. Thieves go for easy targets, if they have trouble at the door, most will go somewhere else. Once they are inside, kill the lights, or flick them on to temporarily blind, retreat, set booby traps and obstacles if you have the time, and get somewhere safe where you can call the authorities and retreat further if need be. I'm with SAKplumber, chairs are great for home defense unless the other guy has a gun. I have a skinny hallway leading to my room. A chair left in the hallway will let me know he's getting closer when he moves it to get by. It could also occupy him enough for me to jump out of a doorway and surprise him. I've got a solid wood chair in my bedroom, and it'll give me a 2-3 ft. reach and is good both as a melee weapon and as a shield from other melee weapons. It'll also hold a door shut when wedged properly. If they do get it open, they've got to climb over a chair while I'm hitting them.

There's plenty of common items around the house that make nice weapons without resorting to a deadlier weapon like an ice pick. For me, there's a sharpening steel in the kitchen, pipes, tools, and 2x4s in the garage, a fire extinguisher in the utility room, aerosol cleaning products in the bathroom, chairs everywhere, and my toolbox with a hammer and a pry bar in my room. Also, don't underestimate the power of a bright flashlight, especially on strobe shined in someone's eyes. I've seen videos on tactical flashlights where once the light is in your face, the person behind the light is pretty much invisible. If you hold the light in front with one hand and strike from the side with the other, it'll be hard to see it coming.

UbiquitousLastName likes this.
  7. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

As a college student living off campus, and a gun carrier/owner, using a gun in my own home for defense is going to already be very questionable. Drunk/belligerent people seem the most likely intruder. My Glock stays hidden and locked up, bolted down. I keep a can of pepper spray (FoxLabs 5.3) and a rotation of flashlights available at all times.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I dispute it because one shouldn't bring a gun to a gunfight. One should bring TWO.:p

9. UbiquitousLastName

UbiquitousLastName Loaded Pockets

I just wanted to add my own two cents to this; as I agree that the best home defense is comprised of two things: a firearm and proper training.

Also, my girlfriend (then fiancé and wife) was uncomfortable with the idea of living with loaded firearms.

It was an issue that needed to be overcome before we moved in together. And, wether it makes me a bad partner or not, I refused to even entertain the idea of not having firearms (it's my life too). So, how did we get around this?

Well, the first thing I did was compromise on where the weapons would be stored and, just as important, how they were stored. As a Batchelor I had guns all over the place, often one or two were broken down on the coffee table. I was able to recognize that I was, perhaps, over indulging my firearm fetish and removed all firearms to a safe location (which meant purchasing a safe).

I keep most of my firearms in my safe, a few "truck guns", one in my home office (where I spend a lot of time) and one on the night stand. My office and night stand firearms are my self defense weapons so they remain loaded. Also, I was able to get a couple of quick access lock boxes at a reasonable price.

The lock boxes were a great compromise, security for the wife and quick access for me.

The next part was the hard part, and I think it all boils down to your relationship with your spouse. If your spouse regards you as a competent person, and will tolerate instruction from you...

(this is the hump, as some relationships are unequal and in an instructor/student relationship, the student is automatically subordinate, and some spouses are unable or unwilling to take a subordinate role)

... But I digress, if your spouse will tolerate instruction from you then I think you owe it to yourself and your spouse to provide them with some basic instruction on weapon safety, which includes how to handle a weapon and most importantly how to make a weapon safe.

Soapbox Moment incoming...

Personally, I think most people's fear of firearms stems from lack of exposure. People look at a firearm as if it were a snake, ready to go off if provoked, rather than as a tool.

So, I took the time to teach my wife about handguns. It was basic instruction, but it did two things; it eased her mind about having them around and it also demonstrated to her that I am not cavalier about firearm safety.

Once she understood that I take firearms seriously (I'm a bit of a goof ball most times) she became comfortable with having firearms in the house. Eventually, she asked to be taught how to shoot.

That was longer than I thought it would be, sorry for the ramble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xdglocker and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  10. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

A large, heavy dry chemical fire extinguisher can be a versatile and useful thing to have around as an layer option.

Water-Rat likes this.
  11. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

You did see where the study had a flawed methodology, right?

12. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

All the more reason to train with a firearm.

13. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

Guns guns guns. Get your guns!
    Maybe you just can't see anything else with all that mud in yer eye
    Let's see how many ALTERNATE ways you can beat the same dead horse.

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

For the record, I believe I suggested an alternative:

Maybe you ignored my suggested alternative. Maybe you just like to stir up :censored: and beat dead horses yourself.

Just because someone asks me for an alternate way to do something - especially if the alternate way puts them in more danger - doesn't mean I'm going to suggest an alternate just so some random person on a forum doesn't get their panties in a bunch. In fact, I might even try to be helpful and suggest that an alternate is, indeed, more dangerous.

How about you try defending your home against some crack head without a firearm and tell us how it goes.

15. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

I knew it would come out sooner or later. Sheep are so predictable. :rolleyes_revamped::smile_coffee:

Mudinyeri likes this.
  16. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

So I was thinking... What about a sling shot? I'm pretty sure you can use some large and nasty ammo with those.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if I missed a post or not; but, how hardened is your home?
    Are your doors and door frames made of metal? Do they have quality dead bolts and reinforced strike plates?
    Are your windows "jimmy proof" or do they have shatter resistant glass?
    And last but not least, do you have a security system installed?
    Do you use it even when you are home?

If you harden the castle, it makes it much more difficult for the invaders to invade.
    My wife was wholly against loaded firearms in our home. Now she knows where all the guns and ammunition are and how to use most of them.
    We've had a loaded .357 Magnum revolver within arms reach of the bed for the last 12 years. It's never gone off without direct human interaction.
    Our 10 year old daughter(speaking of building a moat) knows without a shadow of a doubt that she is not allowed to handle a firearm without adult supervision, even her pink .22LR Cricket that she received for Christmas.

Knowledge is the only answer to irrational fear.

xdglocker and Mudinyeri like this.
  18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Wrist Rocket + ball bearings = OUCH! :D

whoozle and wrath0r like this.
  19. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

I say just get a heavy stick or bat. You don't want it to stick and stay in whatever you are hitting.

20. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I h
    i have windows EVERYWHERE. I try my best with protecting the entry ways with appropriate dead bolts and locks but a really ambitious person can simply break a window and waltz on in. It's the suburbs......