1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternative EDC Defensive "devices?"

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by erckgillis, Aug 22, 2007.

1. curlyfry562

curlyfry562 Loaded Pockets

Nice videos.

Another impromptu self defense tool you could use is a bic razor. Simply place the blade end in your palm, and close your had in a fist with the handle sticking out between your fingers. I am sure you can guess what you can do with it.

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd make sure the blade-cover was on first (if possible), just to be on the safe side.

Granted, anyone who considers using a razor in such a manner is obviously not on the safe side at the moment in question. :-X

3. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

Speaking of razors, you'll never believe what happened on the way back from TX two weeks ago.

Saturday morning, we packed our bags to head to the airport. My wife stuck our toiletries bag in our carry-on luggage instead of the duffel we were going to check.

So that meant my straight razor was about to try to get on the plane with me, but I still didn't know.

We check our checking bags, we carry our carrying bags, and we head over to security.
    Take off shoes.
    Take off jackets.
    Throw away a bottle of water because it's got more than three oz of liquid left.
    Put carryon bags on the conveyor.

And we go through the metal detectors. On the other side, a nice lady waves us over, "I need to open this bag up, ok?"

Ok.

Unzip, and there's our toiletries. Dang, says I to myself, my razor. Sure, I didn't pay a WHOLE lot for it, but still it's a fairly nice carbon-steel, German made razor. And they're going to confiscate the thing and it'll be my own dumb fault.

So she rummages through the bag, and pulls out my cologne and a bottle of rubbing alcohol.
    "Sorry, these can't go; they're more than three ounces."
    "Fine."
    "Sorry about that, that's all, you can go."

Cologne, big problem; straight razor, a-ok. :brickwall:

4. curlyfry562

curlyfry562 Loaded Pockets

Wow that is sad :(

5. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Glad you didn't lose the razor, but that is a sad commentary on that screener.

6. man-in-black

man-in-black Empty Pockets

TSA = Security? :shrug:

7. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

In the loosest sense of the word. I feel sorry for the lower-echelon types, but their policy-makers can take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

I'm relieved they didn't confiscate your razor, but at the same time...how could they MISS it? It's as if they KNOW their only purpose is to irritate and inconvenience us all, while providing no real, practical measure of safety whatsoever! :brickwall:

8. big payback

big payback Empty Pockets

First of all, the only reason i could see needing a weapon is going to and from the airport. Once inside the security ring, you are safe. No one ever gets mugged in the "secured" area, the only things that happen are drunks being loud, and pick pockets and luggage thieves.
    There are cameras everywhere, everyone has already been screened, and any weapon you can bring in, is prob already an improvised weapon. If someone does pose a threat to your life, or the passengers lives, on the plane itself, I am sure there will be more than enough pasengers to overwhelm the agressor. Since 9/11 many incidents have occured where someone goes crazy, forgets their meds, drinks too much, and they are restrained by people on the plane.
    After 9/11, no person in their right mind would sit and do nothing. Those jerks had nothing but box cutters, but protocall was "Passive Restraint". Now, i would think, its "Fight Back HARD". The planes have armed marshalls on them. I am sure that they will be able to handle any security threat on the plane.
    To have this idea that you will be re-enacting a scene from "West Side Story" in an airplane, dueling with a dangerous agressor, using a pen, a cane, a ceramic knife, whatever, is plain silly. And if you did use it, you probally wouldn't be hailed as a hero. You would be the guy who brought a stout pen on the plane and stabbed a drunk guy in the ear.
    Terrorists know that we will fight back in a plane now, and they wont try that stunt again. You cant fight a bomb, so , just pack your "weapons" in your carry-on, and give the TSA a break. I know they are over-zealous and sometimes slip up pretty bad. I also know that 98% of the people are going to be on MY side when the S.H.T.F. and carrying a weapon on a plane makes you the bad guy.

9. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why "West Side Story?" Airplanes ---> Jets? ;D
    Imagine a world where all fights were settled with dance numbers! Air Marshalls would be replaced by professional dance choreographers on all flights, and anybody who acted up would get served! :laugh:

Okay, sorry about that...couldn't resist. :peep:

Seriously, I'm in agreement with you for the most part. I don't think people should go out of their way to sneak in "second-intention" devices (weapons designed to look like normal, less-harmful objects). Bad idea, because it makes one look like a paranoid vigilante type. However, I don't see anything wrong with jamming a pen into a hijacker's eye (for example). That jerk is trying to KILL me, and he's wasting good air as far as I'm concerned. One way or another, he's going down.

I don't care WHAT people fight back with in such a situation, as long as they have the will to stand up and do it. I can only hope I'd have the guts to do the same in such a situation. I just wish the TSA hadn't decided that ALL knives are bad, despite the fact that some passengers who fought back on 9/11 used small pocket knives to fight back before the plane crashed. Horrible logic. Absolutely woeful.

When people are denied the use of weapons, the playing field is made uneven; the faster, stronger, younger, more aggressive types will win out over the older, slower, weaker types (generally speaking). If one is adept at finding weapons in everyday objects, that person has an advantage against an attacker who expects his intended victim to be unarmed.

By all means, obey the rules regarding weapons wherever you go. But there's nothing wrong with recognizing potential improvised weapons in your environment, and using them if the situation calls for it.

10. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

From my understanding marshalls are on oversea flights, not domestic. I could be wrong.
    As far as the screeners, for the most part they are doing what they are told, and walk a mile in their shoes before passing too harsh a judgement.
    As far as I'm concerned, a good small flashlight, a stout pen, and a crossword puzzle is all I need to make a flight.

Hey Lugs, how ya been? Still working the flashlight gig? ;D

11. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, still working the grave shifts...it's been rough lately! :(

How about yourself, Webley? Hook anyone up recently? It's been almost a year since I put cuffs on someone, which is a blessing I guess (though I can think of a few irritating tenants I wouldn't mind chaining to a toilet for a day or so... :evilgrin:).

True that. Keep it simple! :thumbsup:

If one really wants to cause some mayhem during an in-flight brawl, learn a few disarms, joint-locks and take-downs. If I'm on a plane and some fool attacks me with something, he better pray I don't get ahold of his arm! :spank:

Inner Prop likes this.
  12. lcranston

lcranston Loaded Pockets

The problem comes when you travel to another area by plane and aren't able to carry your firearm or knife legally when you get to your destination. A cane, pen, flashlight, etc.. are legal everywhere. I would feel much safer going to the cab or taking the subway with an improvised weapon than nothing. There are also many tourist attractions that are more security concerned and you can no longer carry pocket knives there as well, where it was not a problem before. If you are traveling and don't have a car, there is no way to store your firearm/knife. IMO, It is also nice to have something extra even when carrying a firearm or knife. I think it boils down to I am the type of person who doesn't like to go anywhere without some type of weapon and don't believe that I am safe from harm in just about any environment when I have to rely on the protection of others.