1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternating Work/Personal Cellphone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MonkeyWrench, Aug 17, 2015.

1. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Loaded Pockets

So hopefully someone here has some ideas for me...

First a little background. I work for a company that has a strict no Cameras or Cellphones w/ Cameras. And while we have fairly tight security as far as who gets onsite, and access to all buildings onsite is strictly controlled... it's still ridiculously easy to carry my Galaxy S5 while at work, and I do so on a daily basis; I'm definitely not the only one who does. I'm just getting to the point where I don't feel like taking a risk with security deciding to do a sweep of my office.

So here's my question, does anyone have any alternatives to me adding a new line to my current cellphone plan? I'm not sure if there's a way to switch the SIM card from my Verizon Galaxy S5 to another basic cell phone while I'm at work. Having 2 different numbers just complicates things, when someone needs to get in touch with me, and honestly, I don't feel like spending the money on the extra line. But unfortunately having a cellphone is a bit of a necessity. I do an array of jobs over an area roughly 500+ acres, and there is simply no way around being able to communicate with co-workers and vendors. Any ideas?

...and please nobody tell me to get a pager!!! :banghead:

2. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

Samsung used to make versions of their Galaxy devices without cameras for these purposes. As I understand it though, no one offers one in the U.S. other than maybe some older blackberry models. There are phones in other markets that are current android phones without cameras, you'd have to try to find them on eBay and hope that Verizon won't block the phone. They have a past history of blocking specific devices on their network.

On AT&T at least you can swap SIM cards with no issue. There are even SIM converters if your phone uses a mini or micro SIM instead. Not sure what Verizon's policy is or how they handle it.

3. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

To my understanding, Verizon isn't sim Activated so swapping SIMs doesn't work as it does on the GSM networks. (Or with esim/universal phones).

There are phone forwarding tools like Google Voice that might work for this purpose, but you're still stuck with another phone plan, or always forwarding it to your work desk phone.

Fish and No Agenda like this.
  4. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ask your manager where they got theirs :D

5. MonkeyWrench

Oddly enough, my boss knows that most everyone in the office is breaking the rules and doesn't seem to care. Doesn't mean he could stop me from getting fired though. Unfortunately most of the management is provided either a basic phone by the company or a blackberry. I went the blackberry route almost 6 years ago, but I can't see myself ever going back to that. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and just add a new line... or maybe I'll just keep chancing it... what would I do at work with no smartphone... the company filters out most anything non-work related on the internet... an entire day without EDCF!?!?!?! I don't think so!!!

kd7dvd likes this.
  6. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

Will your employer allow devices whose cameras are disabled via software? If so, there are apps that will do this.

An alternate option is to physically remove the camera module.

7. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Not strictly legal, but you could clone your SIM card and stick it in a basic "burner" handset. You'd be using the same account and phone # for both phones. I've been considering doing something similar, I am on the road a lot and the loss of my phone would render me pretty helpless for work tasks.

Cheers, Ted

MonkeyWrench likes this.
  8. MonkeyWrench

Unfortunately no, this was their policy for a while, but they changed it a few years ago. I had the camera removed from a Droid X I had so I would be compliant. I guess that had too many issues with people not actually removing the cameras.

9. MonkeyWrench

This sounds like the best possible option... I'll have to look into it some more.

10. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have used several one phone/two SIMS solutions, now I even have two numbers on one SIM, but not the other way around.

11. pwscott

pwscott Loaded Pockets

I use a free Google Voice # and have everyone call that. It forward to my personal iPhone and rings my work Samsung Note 4 at the same time. Whichever I have on me I answer.

Sent from my Note 4

Dorian likes this.