1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alternate Communications

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by njpreps, Sep 24, 2017.

1. njpreps

njpreps Loaded Pockets

Does anyone EDC a satphone or other alternate communication device that is not a cellphone? With everything going on lately I have seriously started to consider carrying some form of satellite communication in addition to my cellphone. The most cost effective seems to be the Delorme/Garmin Inreach units.

Thoughts?

2. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

I have been thinking of this lately myself. My two biggest hurdles are my ignorance and how to deal with an EMP....???

ran23 likes this.
  3. njpreps

njpreps Loaded Pockets

Last edited by njpreps, Sep 24, 2017
    #3 njpreps, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Guido Nova and HVACn00b like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Amateur Radio.

When all else fails,Radio can get through.

Sounds tongue in cheek I realize but we have proven for many years to be able to communicate in times where all other methods fall short. Many of us maintain the capability and practice using it as a Hobby and in Public Service routinely and we each know that when needed that we can fill vital roles with little notice and minimal or no outside support of any kind.

I helped run an event a few weeks ago where we brought almost 150 Hams to bear,almost self-supported in the middle of almost nowhere where we passed messages for 2 days over an 80 mile route.
    We had some city power but could also have gone without it and right now there are hundreds of Hams in the various disaster areas around the U.S. including Puerto Rico who started sending message traffic immediately after the storms!

Radio just works.

nolaradio and WillAdams like this.
  5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

This. Get a radio licence. This oldschool kind of communication isn't as popular right now as it once was due to all the new more accessible technology but plenty people still practice it either as hobby or as backup. When internet and cellphone communications stop working for whatever reason i'm willing to put money on the good ol radios picking right back up where they left off. Even if you dont have a licence you can communicate with people on licence-free bands. Over here thats 27mhz (cb radio) for medium distance and 446mhz (pmr) for a more pocketable form factor at shorter range.

nolaradio likes this.
  6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Where I live, in the U.S., the phone company is working towards collapsing their wired infrastructure. Too many customers have switched to cellular service to make maintaining the old, copper infrastructure worthwhile. I myself have gone to cellular data service for internet access and will probably switch my phone service over to that medium also. I do this with great reluctance. At one time, one could count on the wired service for normally high availability and to be quickly restored in the event of a storm-induced or otherwise unusual outage. Pretty sure that's not the case anymore. As far as commonly available consumer alternatives go, I consider the cellular system to be "fragile" and I sure as heck wouldn't want to depend on the cable (tv) system for 2-way emergency communication.

So, I will be investigating ham radio. I work with a bunch of hams, which have a club and hold regular meetings. I have a working knowledge of radio, and they've been after me to get a license for years, anyway. I'll be at their next meeting, if my schedule allows, armed with a bunch of questions for those with the patience (they're pretty good about that sort of thing).

nolaradio and WillAdams like this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I was really annoyed when Verizon quit supporting copper in my area, and very annoyed by the VOIP phone which has to have a charged battery for 911 to work.

8. Blackheart

Over a decade ago, the city government proposed running buried fiber to every house within the city limits (population 26,000). I need to mention that the city has a pretty good reputation for managing services. They put it up for a public referendum. My fellow citizens overwhelmingly voted it down complaining it was "too expensive". :stomp: I was like "My god, people! Don't you realize what you can do with fiber to the home?!" You could do phone service, television programming, high-speed internet, monitoring of water and electric usage (and eliminate the meter readers), and any number of things that haven't been conceived of yet. It's called "an investment". I was ticked. Didn't speak to the neighbors for weeks.

ran23 and garza like this.
  9. njpreps

njpreps Loaded Pockets

I agree that HAM is the way to go for long term and is the most reliable. However, while I am willing and happy to do it, my wife, children and mother in law are not. At least for now.

In the event of an emergency they would be who I would want direct contact with. Whether I am in NY or California (i travel there a lot). Hence the sat com thought. The delorme units will allow me to try communications to their phones if I am in an affected area and they are not or will allow me to go unit to unit if that is necessary as well.

nolaradio likes this.
  10. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Signal whistle, signal mirror (morse code), led flashlight with extremely narrow beam, smoke signals, portable ham-radio transceiver, message pigeons, bells, beating on large drums, semaphore signaling with flags, signal flares.

Last edited by Dan2, Sep 27, 2017
    #10 Dan2, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  11. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

I have a CB in my truck. That count?

WillAdams likes this.
  12. Blackheart

I had not considered semaphore. Need to get out the manual.

(if only just for grins)

Gary Gross likes this.
  13. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets