1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alphaoneniner Evade pack vs Camelbak Urban Assault

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by cowboyarcher, Oct 13, 2015.

1. cowboyarcher

cowboyarcher Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I've recently become aware of these two packs and have to say, they look very similar. Has anyone handles both? Any thoughts on these two head to head?

Thanks all and God bless!

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. tkill

tkill Loaded Pockets

I used to own a camelbak urban assault. Currently own and carry an Evade-I really feel like its the last pack I will ever need. I will probably sell several other packs (Goruck, HAWG, Messenger bag) because the Evade fills all of their roles.

Reasons I sold the UA (I sold it years ago long before the Evade existed): The beavertail had to be unbuckled to access the admin compartment. I didn't like the zippered side water bottle pockets. UA not a clamshell opening design. The UA is larger, more comparable size-wise to the EDC SERT pack. A little too large for daily use for me. I cannot remember if the UA had the small quick access zippered pocket on top of the pack. The Evade does and I use it a lot.

The Evade has all of those things, plus more! The hidden concealed carry pocket is great. I think the Evades shoulder straps are a little more substantial/better padded. The Evade is the perfect size, and I just like its styling better. I have the 2-tone ripstop.

3. Bloom

Bloom Loaded Pockets

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I was hoping to get feedback from members who own the Alpha One Niner Evade and the Camelbak Urban Assault, as they seem fairly similar, and I'm considering one or both of them. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

4. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Bloom, I'm surprised you haven't just bitten the bullet and got the Evade yet. The CUA looks interesting but yuge at 1950ci (32L) & 2600ci. The Evade is only 1650ci (27L). I suppose it would be difficult to compare the two side by side considering the size differential - so the question should be: What are you going to be using it for?

Speaking for myself only, the Evade is deceivingly small for a 27L, a lot of the space is taken up by the partitions for the different compartments, i.e. Laptop, Main, Admin, and even the concealed carry. My GR1-26L appears to hold more stuff because it's just one compartment. BUT the Evade is very compact and well organized - not a lot of wasted space; so to me it's fairly streamlined.

I use my new 2-tone as my primary work pack now because I need a bit of organization.

Just food for thought.. he Evades are still on sale... so best decide before the sale ends! ;)

HELM and twin63 like this.
  5. Bloom

Bloom Loaded Pockets

Hey Bobby,

I actually ordered an Evade, and it should hopefully be here later this week. While doing so, I saw some really positive reviews about the Camelbak Urban Assault which seemed fairly similar to the Evade (I'm looking at the "small" version which is 1953 CI / 32L). The price is reasonable too for the holidays, so I thought I'd check and see if anyone here owned both, and if so, give their feedback. The Evade definitely seems like it's laid out with no wasted space as you describe; I'm just wondering if the CUA is worth looking in to for the additional storage.

6. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

I own both and they are fantastic packs. As tkill mentioned, you need to unbuckle the beaver-tail to access the admin pocket, which I found to be highly inconvenient. The Evade is my go-to backpack, and I've pretty much sold most of the others.

HELM likes this.
  7. Bloom

Bloom Loaded Pockets

Hey Ike, on the Camelbak Urban Assault video, they show the ability to stow the beaver-tail straps in the front area behind the velcro patch, and the back behind the plastic hooks. Is that not the case?

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is in fact I have never used them they are stowed all the time and the velcro keeps the tail closed fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

Good catch guys, I've never tried that!

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I snagged an Evade on ebay yesterday so I will be able to compare them side by side soon enough!
    I have been intrigued since they were developed here and got my Camelbak for a trip right before I could get an Evade but I had planned to at the time,so it should be interesting.

I have no issues at all with the Camelbak but when has that ever stopped us from getting a new bag too?

twin63 likes this.
  11. Bobby Leang

HA... I think I just sold it to you.

twin63 likes this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Black w/Red inside?
    LOL!

13. Bobby Leang

That's the one... it's just waiting to get pick up as we speak. I got a 2-Tone to replace it...

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Now thats funny!
    I will let you know when it arrives and how it compares to my others.
    I was looking to get some of their pouches too but the colors are mostly out of stock and the shipping is crazy!

15. Bobby Leang

Tell me about it. I ordered some pouches + dopp kit before the Evades came back in stock... it was $15 shipping for both... but $6 if they were shipped individually. So, I ordered them separately and they came at the same time, but in different packages...... :|

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Interesting?
    I might try that.