1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner Recon 9 Evade pack- Choosing a material/color

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Spyke, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

So it seems I have conviced Santa to bring me an Evade for Christmas. But I am torn on color and fabric. Narrowed it down to black or gray Cordura or black ripstop. Have a TNF Recon now in black and really like the durability especially of the heavier fabric on the bottom.

What do you guys think between rip stop and Cordura for durability and does anyone know if the grey is like a charcoal or if it is lighter? I know I can always ask Helm but would like you to chime in too.

Cobra 6 Actual and Longbow_06 like this.
  2. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I don't know the bag in question but if it's an option I'd go Cordura over ripstop. It'll last longer and take more use and damage.

Cobra 6 Actual, Longbow_06 and Spyke like this.
  3. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Changed the title....now that we know the bag, does anyone have an opinion?

Cobra 6 Actual and Longbow_06 like this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Do you have any pets? What will you be using the bag mainly for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  5. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

I bought the black Cordura, a friend bought the gray ripstop. I handled his and the ripstop is tougher that I thought it would be. The Cordura shows pet hair. If I had the money I'd buy another one in ripstop, preferably black. So what I'm saying is "Get the ripstop." P.S. the gray is closer to gray than charcoal.

6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Tagging this to come back and post a photo. I have the gray cordura , and once I have some natural light, I'll give you an idea of what it looks like.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

7. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have a dog, a golden, so I'm glad to know about the Cordura and pet hair.

Also, thanks for the info on the ripstop. Been leaning toward the black anyway, so decision made: black ripstop.

Seems like a great bag. I love my TNF Recon, been using it for years. It is still in great shape and really isn't lacking anything (except for a concealed carry pocket) it's just that the Evade is so cool that I think I "need" it.

IMWILSON and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Since you have a pet I would definitely get the ripstop. I have both materials in the Evade and I am constantly having to use a lint remover to remove the per hair. The cordura does hold its shape a little better but not too much of a difference. HELM did first use the ripstop version for testing and did a lot of traveling with it and it held up just fine. Honestly if I were to do it over again as much as I like the typhoon pattern I probably would of got the all black ripstop instead. The two tone ripstop looks great though that I have.

AztecaMX91 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

Two Tone ripstop is pretty smexy and feels really durable. I also vote Two Tone over Typhoon. I like both but i really do but in person ripstop looks classier

Sent from another dimension

10. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Question about the two tone....what color are the back panel, shoulder straps and interior of the admin area? Also, anyone know the interior color of the all black ripstop? Wondering if the interior has any grey to lighten up the inside.

Thanks!

11. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

Two tone black straps and panel with grey interior. All black has red interior

Sent from another dimension

12. Lynx
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lynx Loaded Pockets

Two tone interior. Hope this helps a bit.:)
    [​IMG]

13. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies guys and the photo too! Not a huge fan of red and on top of your suggestions my ten year old daughter thinks I should get something besides all black this time around. Since she is part of the "Santa crew" around here I better go with it so my email to Santa requested the two tone.

So now I wait.......all part of the fun!

Have a good one everybody.

Cobra 6 Actual and Myrddraal like this.
  14. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I have pets and they're not kidding about Cordura showing fur. lol I do have to remove cat fur from mine pretty regular. But it's not that hard.

That said "Ripstop" just comes across as.. "Walmart book bag material" to me. If i'm paying for a quality long lasting bag, I want one that's going to last a long time and what ever I put it through.

I tend to baby mine, but still. Quality first. You can brush off the dog fur if need be.

15. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I have the two-tone and I can tell you this pack positively exudes quality. The diamond ripstop isn't cheap looking at all to my eyes.

Cobra 6 Actual and AztecaMX91 like this.
  16. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

I'll second on the two-tone ripstop, it's got a fantastic quality, light weight but feels tough, and looks great. As a guy with two golden retrievers, I also like how this pack doesn't attract fur as other materials do.

The design and organization of this pack cannot be beat. Even after you've packed your laptop, tablet, cords and chargers, wallet, keys, flashlight, and all of your other travel gear, you've still got an entire main compartment in which to stuff a jacket or some clothing.

The hidden EDC zippered section in the back has become my "where the heck is my boarding pass" section. It can be easily accessed from either side. I'll be selling some other packs as the Evade is going to cover a huge portion of my carry needs.

17. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info on the material, I appreciate it. Definitely going two tone and getting the set of four clear PVC pouches to go with it (well that is if I am indeed on Santa's "nice" list).

Also like the positive input on how the bag packs. So used to my current bag that it's good to know info ahead of time about its replacement. Unfortunately I won't be able to switch back and forth either...my fifteen year old daughter already has her eyes on my TNF Recon!

Cobra 6 Actual and AztecaMX91 like this.
  18. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I would also recommend getting a set of the mesh. It's more flexible than the PVC but you can still see the contents inside and when there isn't anything inside they collapse a little better as well. The PVC does have some nice uses. For me when the Evade is on diaper duty one PVC Matro pouch will hold a couple diapers and the other a set of spare clothes.

19. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Great idea Chris. I plan to use one as a FAK and the other as a small toiletries kit. Got the PVC to for those in case something leaks a little. Already use Eagle Creek packing cubes for some items so ultimately will pick up the mesh set.

I do love gadgets and gear!

20. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Could someone post some pics of the interior of their Black Ripstop please?