1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner Evade, help me decide the fabric

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jac[ITA], May 29, 2020.

1. Jac[ITA]

Jac[ITA] Empty Pockets

Hello all
    I'm currently carrying a molle-covered tactical-looking backpack and I intend to switch to the A19 Evade for the more "civilian" look.
    Coming from a 1000d cordura pack that does not show any sign after 10 years of hard use I was pondering the fabric choices.
    I'll skip the 1000d fabric so I'll either go with the 500d nylon or the 420d ripstop.
    Is there a difference in durability?
    Wich one you suggest for a urban+travel usage where it may be showed in overhead bins or throwed on the ground?
    Thank you for your inputs
    Ciao
    Jac

2. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

If there is potential for tossing and scraping on ground I would go with cordura.

RED-FIVE and Jac[ITA] like this.
  3. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I carried the Evade 1.0 for a couple of years, I think. Long enough to see regular use when traveling 2-3 nights a week and 20+ flights/year. In and out of vehicles, offices and airports and the 500D held up very well.

I can’t say I abused it but it did get used and still looks close to new. It still gets used occasionally but I have several bags now and rotate between a handful of them. I’ve no experience with the Ripstop version but I think the 500D will suit your needs.

RED-FIVE, Jac[ITA] and twin63 like this.
  4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Same here. My Evade 1.0 in cordura has been my EDC for almost 4 years. No extreme adventures with it, but it hasn’t been babied either. No real signs of wear.

I have a 2.0 in ripstop, but I’ve only travelled with it a couple of times. I can’t comment on long term use, but have no reason to believe that it would be any less reliable for your intended use.

Ripstop might get an edge as looking more pedestrian, but I’ve always said that the Evade in cordura is equally suited (in looks and function) for the boardroom or the range. I think you will be pleased with either material.

RED-FIVE, Jac[ITA] and jcombs like this.
  5. Jac[ITA]

Jac[ITA] Empty Pockets

Thank you all for your comments, I think I'll go with the 500D cordura then

RED-FIVE likes this.