1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 2.0 Wish List

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, Nov 28, 2017.

1. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Ref those side pockets - personally I don't carry any water bottle, not even on any of my trips. Unless I plan to be in the boonies, I can get water almost anywhere. I use the side pockets for other stuff. But it is not about me - a majority of those who have posted photos or replied to threads do so, so as a product developer I have to keep that in mind.

Ref top EDC pocket - the new prototype is lined with such a fabric. Unfortunately I'm not the type to put 'sensitive items' in that pocket. It's a quick stash and retrieve of items that I need all the time. The last thing I would do, for example, is to leave my glasses in there. I know some do but I am not going to stash my custom Roka Phantom TI's in there!! When I'm coming in and out of transit airports in foreign countries, I dump all the change in there while on the move and I will organize all that stuff when I get to destination. If you plan to dump keys in there, keep in mind that this fabric is not as durable as say nylon.

Ref the second cinch strap - I have to look at the hardware available but making it removable is a possibility although I don't see most removing it if they don't have.

sleestac and RED-FIVE like this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I usually use one side pocket for a water bottle and the other has a dump pouch so prefer not having to deal with another strap that will get in the way of accessing those pockets.

Now that you mention the durability I probably would prefer just the nylon for the top edc pocket just wish it had a little more organization. Sometimes I do put my shades in there but it will be inside some sort of hard case to protect them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE likes this.
  3. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

@HELM do we a final spec for the overall dimensions?

HELM and Chris C like this.
  4. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

I do. Let me take care of the kids first and I will revert. Got the sample here with me. I swap spots with my wife these last 2 weeks; she’s at the production studio overseeing stuff and I’m home playing mom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Myrddraal and RED-FIVE like this.
  5. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Great thanks! Yes famliy first!! Always!!

I do like knowing the pockets are there when I need to carry water externally. The design of the Evade's are my favorite. They work with all the different size bottles I'd want to carry. I especially like how perfect they fit the Camelbak Insulated Chute bottle. Also appreciate the way they lay flat when empty, and the location of the pleat that resists snagging .....very good!

Agreed! No, I never shove glasses in the edc pocket. My Oakleys ride in their Vault case. I was speaking of an iPhone with its oleophobic coating.

Cool to hear that the production team is trying this stuff out. I have no doubts that the final product is going to hit the mark.
    Thanks

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Mar 11, 2018
    #145 RED-FIVE, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Okay so this is what we got right now:

Height, 20”
    Top width, 10”
    Bottom width, 13”
    Depth, 7” empty
    Height of front compartment from top of zipper to bottom, 17”

Beavertail is going to clip onto the bottom 2 web slots and lowest 2 web slots ( we still need to test).

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoBliNuke, sleestac, Moco and 2 others like this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Comparing it to the dimensions of the current Evade from the website

Dimensions 18.5" (H) x 12" (W)(at base, tapers to 10" top) x 8" (D)

I’m assuming and hoping the depth is not shorter? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

So this would be the smaller of the two possible sizes you were considering aprox 29L?

9. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Can’t wait for it to be available. This is exactly what I’d like to see.

10. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Hi Helm, in case you haven't been keeping an eye on the Chio thread, any ETA on the ripstop nylon Chios? Thanks for all the great work!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  11. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

I found those loops on the Evade offer a potential for also attaching a smaller sized tail like TAD's transport tail. Would you and your team ever consider designing a transport tail for the Evade?

After seeing this idea shared on the forum I decided to try this, and it has worked out well. Still working on finalizing the connections, especially the bottom ones... I can see the possibilities of having a tail added using these web loops as connection points. And I'm sure you guys could make it fit better than the TAD.

Might we see you offer something developed specifically for our current Evades? Not that you need more on your plate. Just hope to plant a seed...

Here's an experiment ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[Edit--Few more pics]

Bottom setup (for now). Also, the tail's height is perfect, even when closed... doesn't interfere with opening the admin top section, allowing access a velcro attached pouch or just reach in from the top. Releasing the top compression gains full access.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[Edit: Adding some details of attachment for the TAD tail...]

This is an Alpha One Niner Evade (2016) in Black Diamond 420 ripstop, original stock harness replaced with the new v2.0 matched Blk Diamond ripstop harness that Helm recently released.

Basically this is an experiment to attach a tail to the Evade using various parts.

Non standard parts used...
    •Triple Aught Design, Fast Transporter Tail [Sterile]
    •(2) Snap-On Duraflex female srb.
    •(2) 5.11 split loop hardware.
    •(2) 5.11 elastic loops.

Additional notes...
    All stock ITW top SRB hardware from the TAD removed. Then using only the ITW male SRB's attached to the tail's top web straps, and 2 snap-on Duraflex female SRB's, the Tail is attached to the Evade's top compression straps.

The Tad TT is connected at the bottom using a combination of the tail's two 1 1/2" web straps. Each strap uses a hardware "triglide" to form a loop for the bottom of the shock chord to pass through before it also passes through the Evade's bottom shock cord loop

The bottom corners of the tail are connected to the Evade's two bottom-side shock cord loops with 2 split loop hardware borrowed from 5.11 Tier System straps.These are designed as quick connect loops that the TAD's bottom web straps thread through, and then attach to 2 ITW male srb with two elastic loops borrowed from tier straps for excess webbing. These srb's are connected with a dual female srb.

The bottom can be reworked several ways, still experimenting with different harware/webbing configuration to finalize the attachments. (Subject to revision I suppose)

The tail is currenly securing a rain shell in a ripstop stuff bag. The main point of this experiment is to utilize the front shock loops for a tail. This is something I wanted to try ever since I saw what BTG108 had done last year with a Tad molle TT. Being inspired, I reached out to Helm last year about using these loops for a beaver tail for the Evade, so I'm very glad with the progress they are making on the Evade 2.0 in such a brief time. I believe the adjustments needed to make the beaver tail happen warrant a new design.

I also feel that once the Evade 2.0 lands there may be interest from current Evade owners in an Evade beaver tail? Also possibly a WAIST STRAP! ;)

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Mar 14, 2018
    #151 RED-FIVE, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    GoBliNuke, Myrddraal, race2c and 3 others like this.
  12. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

So will this be an open bottom or closed bottom?

13. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

What would be the pros of this setup, instead of the single strap which the original EVADE uses (i mean if not going for double compressionstraps :) )? Personally i think id prefer it the original way over this, and with the possibility of modding like @RED-FIVE did. The V-cinch overcomplicates things a bit without adding much utility imo.

RED-FIVE and littleme like this.
  14. littleme

littleme Loaded Pockets

I'm not so keen on the V-cinch either it feels like more webbing to get caught on stuff. I love the single Strap on the Evade 1 because if I didn't need it I could roll it out of the way or I would use it to hold my cap to the side of the pack.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Chris C and Rainy like this.
  15. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

@RED-FIVE - Hi, can you share some details on that pack/image from post 151????

RED-FIVE likes this.
  16. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Sure race2c, I'll edit my post above with the details and add a few additional pics including one of the bottom (non finalized) attachment. Did I leave anything out? Hope that helps.

#156 RED-FIVE, Mar 14, 2018
    race2c likes this.
  17. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Thank you! That is great information!

Speaking of Evade 2.0, was there a timeline of when that was going to happen? Currently, on the fence of a new pack and can wait longer if the evade 2.0 may be out soon.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  18. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

race2c Helm mentioned May 2018 as a possibility. Also, there's a lot more good info contained in the earlier posts by Helm and others. If you get the chance to read back from Dec. too.
    Thanks ;)

race2c likes this.
  19. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I will most definitely do that. Hopefully, the May timeframe holds up....will definitely place the order when they pop-up.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  20. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Looking at the Evade 2.0 pics in greater detail, and giving it a bit more thought, I have some reactions.
    • I can appreciate that people would like compression straps over the two side pouches. However in my mind they will always be water bottle pouches, since I refuse to run the risk of water leakage inside the main sack. Water should also be kept at easy access, and being heavy in weight, be placed low as to not heighten the center of gravity for the pack. For a full pack, water bottles in the side pockets are the only things that make sense.
    • There are many ways to compact a pack and side pockets.
    • Side pockets can be made compact through straps, or how Helm did it on the Evade 1.0, which is pleat the fabric so that it lays flat naturally, bellowing out when needed. I've never had an empty Evade 1.0 side pouch snag on anything.
    • If your want to make the whole pack flatter, then side compression straps make sense, but we actually had this debate during the design for the Evade 1.0. How long a pack in order to justify a second compression strap? There are many ways to compress an entire pack, either use more straps, use a compression panel, or use V-cinches.
    • I'm always torn on V-cinches. The Kifaru Antero has it and it's a great design and placement. The Antero V-cinch is angled so the fulcrum of the cinch is away from the torso, and placed inside the side pockets to compress, stabilize side loads, and not impede on opening the pack. But the straps in this case are placed inside the side pockets, and do not take load off the zipper. If you're old school like me, trusting zippers alone is asking a lot.
    • The other approach is the Kifaru Urban Zippy. Two straps, one just above the side pouches and can also serve as tether anchors without needing to add extra hardware, the second almost exactly halfway down the side pouches. This seems to be what some people would like Helm to do.
    • Ultimately, Helm can't make everybody happy. The Evade 2.0 is already incorporating features that veer from the initial pared down vision of the Evade 1.0. I'll be honest and say for me personally, a perfect pack would simply be an Evade 1.0 made slightly bigger, with some slight adjustments and maybe with an internal stay system.

#160 Akilae, Mar 14, 2018