1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 2.0 Wish List

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

2. Definately! :) I do think an attachmentpoint like the picture above would be a good compromise though.

Glad to hear news about the pack!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  2. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

@HELM thank you for the update!

• Concerning bottom compression... Rainy makes a good point...

Bottom compression could be a option with the placement of 1" web attachment loops between the ccw pocket and bottle pockets, aprox middle height of the bottle pocket. Which can also be at or slightly above the height of the bottom most, front shock cord loop.

Removeable compression could be added using 2 female snap on Duraflex buckles on these proposed rear loops, and a custom strap that crosses the front. The whole system could be quickly added or removed if desired. Depending if the side pockets are carrying bottles ect.

I currently have this configuration mocked up on my Evade using a custom 1" web strap and srb's and a few "common loop" hardware. I can post some pics of this if it would help.
    **Edit: (Pics added below)

After experimenting with this set up on the Evade 1.0, I realize there's really not much to compress due to its smaller profile. However, if the size of the Evade 2.0 is larger there may be a justification for at least a removable bottom compression system. Just adding the two rear loops and offering an optional bottom strap with appropriate hardware would useful to us who do use the bottom compression to streamline the profile of our packs.

On a side note...I recently picked up the newly up upgraded Evade harness, and must say they are great with excellent workmanship.

Also @HELM any word on the Evade waist belt you were working on last year?

Thanks again for the updates ;)

Here are some shots of an experiment from a while ago to see how the bottom compression might line up though the Evade is quite slender, and I agree with Helm that it was not really much of a concern. Still, I wanted to see how it would work as a proof of concept.
    -
    [​IMG]
    Compression aligned above the last shock cord loop.
    -
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Compression aligned with the bottom shock cord loop and attached using spilt loop hardware. (Overall the compression seems possibly too low, yes.)
    -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Compression strap is held captive by the split loop.
    -
    [​IMG]
    Female snap on buckle and rear web quick attach loop.
    -
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Simple parts provided a way for experimentation...

Using some simple hardware/webbing parts sourced from various packs I mocked it up. The rear buckles are attached to a section of 1" webbing with tri-glides passed through the ccw pocket. Not a real solution just experimenting to replicate 1" quick attach loops that might be sown into the seam behind the bottle pockets.

The other front compression strap is made using parts from 5.11's Tier System. The split loops are able to attach to the shock cord bottom loop to keep the compression strap in place in the one example.

It would be optimum to have the compression up a bit just above the shock cord loop. I just wanted to show that maybe another set of quick attach 1" loop could be added in front to secure the male buckle strap.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Mar 4, 2018
    #122 RED-FIVE, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Dr Jekell, GoBliNuke and Rainy like this.
  3. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

I for one, would love to see pics of how you did this!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  4. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Interested to see them, too.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  5. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

GoBliNuke likes this.
  6. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

That looks awesome, and exactly like what i imagined. I didnt realise the Evade already had the loops that were needed.

Ill try to post pics of the straps i use for the Kifaru i have, that i thought might fit this aswell.

GoBliNuke and RED-FIVE like this.
  7. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

[​IMG]
    This is the strap that i made for my Kifaru instead of the stock ones. Would work well on the kind of loops were talking about on the Evade id think.

GoBliNuke and RED-FIVE like this.
  8. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Pitching in even though I don't think the Evade 2.0 is for me.

I don't think water bottle pockets should not be compressed, as this interferes with access to the water bottle pocket. However, I think there is value in bottom compression straps for larger packs. The way around this is how Kelty did it on their Red Wing 50s. The compression straps should be routed inside the water bottle pockets. This eliminates any possible problems with water bottle access.

Rainy and BTG108 like this.
  9. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

I have to say i disagree, i dont see how the straps would interfere with access, and routing straps inside overcomplicates things. My opinion anyways! :)

RED-FIVE, GoBliNuke and littleme like this.
  10. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Okay guys, I've looked at a bunch of designs and options out there and the bottom line is this.........

The cinch straps for almost all I've seen are over or on the water bottle pouches. We tested a few and it is clear that if say the pack was cinched say internally, the back of water bottle pouch will still too compressed to get anything in there even though it is elastic. The 'back wall' where the bottle lies against the pack will be too narrow now. The bottom cinch strap only works for the intended purpose when there is nothing in that pouch. If you are going to put a Nalgene bottle in there, hate to say this but no cinching is going to happen.

RED-FIVE, Rainy and BTG108 like this.
  11. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Does that mean no cinch straps at all, or that there will be only one, like on the original Evade?

12. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

More of a V-cinch is what I am considering.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Any chance on upgrading the top pocket with some additional organization like this? Also would be nice to have an O ring or some sort of attachment point to tether a lanyard for keys. I know the admin pocket has one but sometimes that pocket is full or compressed from the other items in the pack and makes it difficult to access the lanyard in that pocket.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE likes this.
  14. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the update Helm.

Any news on the beaver tail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Chris I think we can put an additional d-ring in there since the new key holder is removable and ambi. Adding a webbing organizer is not going to be easy.

sleestac and RED-FIVE like this.
  16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Yes, forgot about that. So to cut a long story short, I took the opportunity to test a few existing ones and suffice to say that I like the design concept of the ones from MR and OVI; the idea of using those flex rods in it helped when we were testing it with various bike helmets and also bump & ballistic ones. We are making one that has the outline of the zippered front compartment and will further test it.

Myrddraal, sleestac and RED-FIVE like this.
  17. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Helm, I remember the original Evade reveal video where in it you spoke about using the side pockets as more as utility pockets and beyond just for a water bottle.

This is how I'm taking advantage of them, as I quick gear drop stash. Personally I seldom use them for bottles as I prefer to store them inside the main compartment. It keeps the outside of the Evade low pro. So I never saw compressing these side utility pockets as an issue. Its interesting that the pervading idea, held by some, has become that these are now only "bottle pockets".

Thanks for considering the bottom compression option, or at least a removable option. Those that feel they will not use them could simply detach them. If it were included as a feature on the Evade 2.0, I'm sure I would just leave them on.

@HELM looking at the big picture, do you think a permanent system may be the best route for integration with the transport/beaver tail?

#137 RED-FIVE, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  18. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Think the o-rings are a nice addition. I believe they're visible in the admin area in the pics of the E2.0 proto from Shot show.

Adding them the top EDC is appreciated. Other possible areas would be:

*Inside the side pockets for tethering gear via lanyards.

*Inside the mesh pockets from the main compartment.

#138 RED-FIVE, Mar 10, 2018
    steeps likes this.
  19. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

@HELM, Feature Request Concerning the Edc and Admin zipper pocket...

•Add soft internal fabric to the top Edc and Admin internal zipper pocket.

We were able perform mod that adds a soft internal microfiber fabric to the Evade's top Edc and Admin's zipper pocket. It worked out great.

Anyone that has owned a Camelbak Urban Assault, or one of The North Face packs... there are others... has enjoyed that soft fabric for sensitive items.

Thanks You for checking in with us, and for the updates! Much appreciated!

#139 RED-FIVE, Mar 10, 2018
  20. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Great news! This is the one addition I've been looking forward to the most. I like the MR beavertail.

I use one of the water bottle pockets for my charging bag. It's convenient. I like that there won't be any interference or cinches over these.

Myrddraal likes this.