1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 2.0 Wish List

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, Nov 28, 2017.

1. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

It's been 2+ years since Alpha One Niner's Evade Backpack was released. During these few years the Evade has earned a rep for being an able pack for office/professional, recreation, and travel, ect.

Looking ahead...
    What changes, improvements, or additions would you like to see Helm & Team make to a possible future Evade 2.0 version?

RF

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

The only thing I might change is to remove the backing for a patch on the front of the bag (mine spends a lot of time back and forth to meetings, so I've never had a patch on it - not a deal breaker though). Other than that, I can't think of a thing that I would want to add or change. It's as close to perfect for my EDC needs that I've found.

3. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

They’ve fixed the straps already - so I don’t think there’s anything left. Maybe change all the Zippers to #10 YKK? :)

Gush and Moco like this.
  4. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I would like there to be a beavertail option, aside from retrofitting a TAD transporter tail which I know a member or two has done. And perhaps a larger volume option...say something closer to 30 liters. As it is, it's in my top-3 list of favorite bags.

5. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

+1 for a beavertail option would be great.

6. Bunyipbait

Bunyipbait Empty Pockets

+2 for beavertail!

Myrddraal likes this.
  7. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

The following would make it just about a perfect pack in my mind:
    30-34 litre volume
    Double straps on both sides,
    Webbing/molle on the bottom.

8. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

Beavertail + larger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myrddraal likes this.
  9. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

I’ve been going back and forth on the subject of the beavertail so rather than assume I’d like to dwell a tad deeper into it starting with a general question:

What do you guys use your beavertail for?

I know what I’ve used beavertail of past packs for but I am curious to know if I am missing something.

Thanks!

10. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

Personally I’ve rigged a TAD Transport Tail and use it to shove a jacket, hat, or whatever.

I’ve always had better luck with a tail than bungees.

If it was elastic and was attached I’d use it for smaller stuff duties. The Osprey packs have a great stretchy stuff pocket that would be perfect on a 2.0 pack

11. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Is this the same material most use for their side water bottle pouches?

12. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

larger guage zipper on main compartment, bottom and top lashing points, beaver-tail, and 32-35 liter capacity.

Myrddraal and BTG108 like this.
  13. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

Yes it is.

Not as durable as the Evades side pocket (which I do prefer) but the fact that it’s basically an open top elastic pocket means you can shove just about anything in there and it won’t fall through. My only issue with my TAD tail is that it’s basically just a compression panel and isn’t good for anything small.

Great example is just the other day I wanted to shove my glasses case somewhere and both water bottle pockets had bottles. I shoved them into the rear shove pocket on my Osprey Pandion and was GTG. I couldn’t have done that with my TAD tail.

One more suggestion: velcro line the back wall of the larger pocket.

14. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I use mine for several situations. At work, I travel to other sites and often end up needing to carry items back that I don't necessarily want to put into my main compartment. Having a TAD-style beavertail allows me to strap these items to the back so that I don't have to carry them in my hands. I like that I can unclip the side-release buckles and adjust the straps to fit around what I'm carrying. For this use, a bungee or even a stretchy pocket like on the above-mentioned Osprey packs wouldn't really work. The Osprey material is great for things like extra clothing layers, but tears fairly easily, as I found out on a hike last weekend.

They are also very handy for lashing pointy things like snowshoes and crampons, making them easily accessible while keeping the contents of the main compartment safe from punctures. Another reason why I prefer a tougher, solid fabric for this type of lashing.

Thanks, Helm, for continuing to listen to our feedback!

BTG108 likes this.
  15. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

I use the beaver tail for an extra layer, jacket or fleece, with quick access. Or when traveling for business, I use it for quick access items like charging cables. As you know only too well Helm, when in an airport and get an opportunity to charge your phone or tablet, you need to take it. Having a cord available in the beaver tail is convenient. Maybe include a D rig for a matroskya pouch. The best beaver tail I've used is the camelbak urban assault pack just for reference.

The trade off with a beaver tail, which I have voted for, is the access to the admin compartment. Using clips can help but the full zip of the admin would be limited without some side zippers of the beaver tail. The osprey tail stretchy material would be perfect for the Evade.

I am newer to the Evade pack and it is the perfect size. I think the EDC forum put forward great suggestions and Helm you've done a masterful job of integrating the pack. Thank you for all you do Helm.

Travel safe.

16. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

@HELM

I commented on Facebook regarding the new Straps in Ripstop. Do you know when those may be added to the site?

Thanks,
    B

17. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

I have used my Evade a lot for biz and vaca travel. It's a great bag. One thing that keep happening to me, and I don't know if there is a solution, is this: I have a Metroskya pouch (the medium size one) hooked to the middle top point of the back. And often, the weight, or the shape of what's in the pouch, get caught and ended up pulling the back panel (with the plastic insert) down towards the front. Not sure if there is a way out of it but it's annoying as I liked using the pouch.

Another thing that does not work for me is the straps -- I know the fact that the length is adjustable at the top is a feature, but because of it, it is very easy to get the strap twisted around. I actually prefer them to be sewed directly to the top of the bag.

P.K.

littleme likes this.
  18. Bunyipbait

Bunyipbait Empty Pockets

I am the same as the other guys. In my current pack a HPG Unlimdi I use the compression panel as a stash point for clothing layers, bike helmets, shelter accessories when hiking and even beach towels, because I live in Australia :)

19. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

Before I reply to the individual comments above, let me update you on some developments that I am looking at for the next Evade:

1. We will increase the zipper to #10.
    2. I plan to do 2 versions of which one will be larger.
    3. Unfortunately I will not include MOLLE on the outside of the packs - my goal from the start was to offer a lower profile pack, slick if you can call it that. Now inside may be a different story but we'll see.
    4. I am seriously considering adding a new fabric to the mix, 1050D ballistic nylon.
    5. For the larger pack I am considering offering optional compression straps or plate. Just in case any of you guys are as crazy as I am about squeezing a couple days worth of clothing in a pack that size!
    6. Seriously thinking about a detachable organizer for that front pocket.
    7. I'm cracking my brains on this but yes, keep working on the beavertail!
    8. I already had padded waist belts for this but we never got them out fast enough.

Now on the individual replies.......

@RED-FIVE - thanks a mil for getting this thread started. I've got my hands full and never got around to getting the feedback needed so I am indeed very grateful that you did!

@Bobby Leang - Ripstop shoulder straps are up my friend :)

@Myrddraal and the rest of the gang - it looks like I might need to consider 2 different beavertail options. When I'm working overseas I mostly cycle and a stiffer TAD style beavertail does not work for my bike helmet. I see all your points about the pros and cons and the only possible consideration is possibly making one that utilizes 2 different types of material, like a split down the middle to allow expansion.

@BTG108 - ref lined wall, be careful what you ask for ;)

@pks - I totally understand your concern about the shoulder straps. That was one of the things that we spoke about during initial development - straps that are sewn in restrict larger user; it doesn't have the kind of spread required. This issue has been somehow reduced with thew new straps we made.

@Bunyipbait - dude I missed my chance to grab a second home Down Under. It is waaaaay to pricey now!

And before I forget, thank you for all the kind words and getting the good word out there. It's hard to believe that we got this going some time back and we're still evolving the pack!

Norseman, sleestac and RED-FIVE like this.
  20. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

+1 on a detachable organizer for the front pocket.

I like the clean (grey man)look of the Evade. Still loving the Evade 1.0.

HELM likes this.